Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first post (Read 212 times)
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
first post
01/11/12 at 13:02:28

Old rider, but new to the forum--trying to find out about the cam chain tensioner mod, but I can't send a pm until I have one post, so here it is!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: first post
Reply #1 - 01/11/12 at 13:29:09

don't know if you were just posting so you could send PMs or actually asking for information, so i'll just keep it brief:

The tensioner mod "basically" involves welding a second bolt mounting point onto the existing one as well as adding a slot and pin in the tensioner itself such that the rod in the tensioner doesn't spring out and cause a world of hurt to your bike's insides.

Verslagen1, a moderator here, makes these for those of us who can't do such a mod on our own for a reasonable fee, and i think he offers discounts if you send him your old one so that he can mod it too. The finished product is called the verslavy and you should be able to use the forum's search function (the tab ABOVE the google search box) to find more information on it.

It is typically recommended that any bike over 15k miles or so be checked to see how far out the stock tensioner is, and if it is over a certain limit (18-20mm maybe?) it should be replaced. There are a few youtube videos online that play the rather loud ticking sound indicative of a tensioner in dire need of replacement.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #2 - 01/11/12 at 13:35:50

Many thanks--I was looking for info AND wanting to be able to pm--I have already heard from verslagen1, so I should be able to get something going on that mod.  I am doing the ryca conversion as a father -son project with my 12 year old--I will post up some pics when I get a spare moment or two.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #3 - 01/11/12 at 20:26:39

Here is a link to the progress of that father-son project:

http://www.hondahornet.org.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19863&sid=713e...

I know, its a honda message board--I ride a 919, what can I say? Wink

« Last Edit: 01/12/12 at 06:33:50 by bikertrash »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/12/12 at 01:37:11

Fine lookin setup..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 01/12/12 at 05:47:15

looking really good so far. Dont forget about us over here at ss.com once the project is complete we would love to see it and this is a great resource to have for future maintenance and camaraderie.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #6 - 01/12/12 at 06:34:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/12/12 at 01:37:11:
Fine lookin setup..

Thanks!

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #7 - 01/12/12 at 06:35:34

splash07 wrote on 01/12/12 at 05:47:15:
looking really good so far. Dont forget about us over here at ss.com once the project is complete we would love to see it and this is a great resource to have for future maintenance and camaraderie.

10-4 Grin

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 01/12/12 at 07:40:52

Man, that must be great as a father-son project. Lots of good time spend and good knowledge to learn and pass on. Plus I'm sure it helps to have another set of hands that can turn a wrench or get into those hard to reach places.

In addition to being a great resource and having generally awesome members over here, we also have a marketplace if you want some of those spare/take-off parts sold.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 01/12/12 at 08:09:34

That is an awesome compilation of pics for what you've done but I gotta tell ya the shop you work in is what really caught me eye. It looks like the perfect "man cave"... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #10 - 01/12/12 at 08:10:56

Man, that must be great as a father-son project. Lots of good time spend and good knowledge to learn and pass on. Plus I'm sure it helps to have another set of hands that can turn a wrench or get into those hard to reach places.

In addition to being a great resource and having generally awesome members over here, we also have a marketplace if you want some of those spare/take-off parts sold.

Thanks--when I get my head above water a little bit, I will post up some of the take-off parts in the marketplace section.  I actually posted one up last night, but it sold on ebay right after I posted.

In some ways, this project has taken more time because I have had to stand back and let my assistant do the work.  But, he is gaining the skills where he has definitely been a help--you are right, I definitely need an extra set of hands at times.  And, there have been times when we have gotten stuck and he has been able to figure out what we needed to do before it was apparent to me--that has probably been the most satisying part of this project.

I told my missus that I should be nominated for father of the year. Grin

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #11 - 01/12/12 at 08:14:49

Bubba wrote on 01/12/12 at 08:09:34:
That is an awesome compilation of pics for what you've done but I gotta tell ya the shop you work in is what really caught me eye. It looks like the perfect "man cave"... Grin

Thanks--it is definitey a "man-cave" (my son calls it the boys' club) and a good place not only to wrench on bikes, but also to sit around the wood stove with biker buddies whilst consuming adult sodas.  I will try to post up some more pics of the boys club when I get the chance.

Life is good! Wink

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #12 - 01/13/12 at 09:16:46

A few shots of my shop/boys' club.  I bought a piece of property that had a partially burned house on it (but a good garage) in 2006.  Spent the summer of '06 tearing the house down and have been working on the garage ever since.  It sits about two blocks from my house, so it serves as a nice "get-a-way."  Grin Wink

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 01/13/12 at 09:35:10

Very very nice!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 01/13/12 at 12:49:35

Don't see a fridge though  Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 23:04:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.