Send Topic Print
Head Shapes & Helmets (Read 106 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Head Shapes & Helmets
01/01/12 at 16:16:01

Much of what I've seen about this (Web Bike World, etc.) is confusing or leaves some questions unanswered. Maybe yous guys can help:
I wear a FF helmet. On most charts I'm at the very upper end of medium helmet size. My current helmet is a snug medium. It's generally comfortable, but after +/- 40 minutes it's pressing uncomfortably at the top center of my forhead. Can anybody advise what that may suggest about head shape/internal helmet shape? I'd like to narrow the search so that the next time I go try on helmets I can get it done in less than a full day!

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Re: Head Shapes & Helmets
Reply #1 - 01/01/12 at 16:59:23

Arizuno,

The shape of the helmet refers to circumference of your head, looking at it from the top-the head shape.  On the one end, you round heads (not a political statement).  On the other end, you have oval heads.  Most people are some where in between.  It is important to get a helmet that is shaped like your head.  If you don't, you will develop hot spots when you ride.  You get off the bike, and generally you will have a red spot on your skin where the helmet is pushing, typically on the forehead.

Having said that, you are reporting a hot spot on the top of your head,  That indicates that you are wearing too small a helmet.  Go up a size, or try another maker. You can always get the snug fit by changing out the cheek pads to a different size.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/01/12 at 17:10:18

No 2 helmet mfr's use the same head molds.
The helmet you got are for ppl w/flat heads.
Go find a pointy head mfr.   Grin

If you get into an accident with that helmet, it will conform to your head afterwards.  If you have a hot spot, all of the energy will be sent from the shell to your skull thru that hot spot.  not a good thing at all.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/01/12 at 17:10:23

I wear a modular. The thing touched my glasses & made them shake, which shook the entire world. If I want my world shook, Ill kiss me a fine lookin woman. So, I peeled the cloth back & "relieved" the styrofoam so the padding wouldnt touch.
How many hours have you worn it? Sometimes, stuff like that goes away,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/01/12 at 17:22:37

For strictly legal reasons,... I won't tell you to dremel away some Styrofoam at the hot spot...
...like I did...  Wink...

...underneath all my hair,.. my head is shaped like the creature from Alien.. ... not an easy fit..  
... on this planet...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/01/12 at 18:43:46

Serowbot wrote on 01/01/12 at 17:22:37:
For strictly legal reasons,... I won't tell you to dremel away some Styrofoam at the hot spot...
...like I did...  Wink...

...underneath all my hair,.. my head is shaped like the creature from Alien.. ... not an easy fit..  
... on this planet...Huh...

on planet zergone we didnt wear helmets Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/02/12 at 02:00:42

You could chisel your forehead down a bit....

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/02/12 at 06:32:01

Just got a helmet bigger than what you think it should be  Wink

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 01/02/12 at 14:11:41

Check out the helmet reviews at webBikeWorld. They tell you what shaped head the particular helmet fits. I ordered a helmet from Germany based on their review of it, and it fit perfectly.
BTW, my head is generally considered to take an extra large helmet. While trying on FF helmets this spring I found that a few manufacturers' XL were way too small.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 01/02/12 at 16:01:45

This is why I have trouble finding a comfy helmet, since my head seems to be a "long oval" as Arai puts it. It's also why I have one of their Profile FF helmets, very comfy... but also not cheap, unless you get it on Black Friday like I did a couple years ago! Cheesy  I've found that Vega 1/2 helmets seem to be long oval also, and fairly comfortable too.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #10 - 01/02/12 at 16:38:06

I am really appreciating these responses - keep 'em coming!

GRH - to clarify, the pressure point is at the top of my FORHEAD (not the top of my head). It's maybe 1 sq. in., but after an hour that's a LOT.

Artteacher - What I find confusing about webbikeworld's descriptions - and why I posted this question - is that they give head shapes as seen from front or rear; I'd think from above would be more relevant. They then use verbiage (e.g. earth shape) not used in their charts. But then, if a head is a given shape from the front or rear view, I guess it's likely to be the same in the top view. (?)

I'm assuming the hot spot on my forhead suggests a somewhat oval head shape as seen from above (that & the close proximity of the chin bar to my  chin), 'though I don't think it's especially pronounced. Adding a No-Fog mask, which attaches at the back of the head, seems to have aggravated the problem.

I hope this is proving useful to others...

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 01/05/12 at 19:50:43

I was having that same problem on one of my 1/2 helmets, the red spot in the middle of the forehead. Slid the liner to the side, and took some 36 grit sandpaper to the foam, a little at a time, until it felt better. I can't officially recommend this, since it is probably fractionally reducing the impact absorption ability of the helmet, but if you're only removing 1/16" or so it probably isn't going to make a huge difference.

My $0.02 Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:45:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Head Shapes & Helmets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.