pulling the head (Read 101 times)
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
pulling the head
12/28/11 at 20:33:41

So I recently had to replace the exhaust pipe because the flange broke off  at the head.   now i have noticed a knocking in the head and I am going to pull it off to see what's up.  I have read threads about getting TDC before pulling the head but I have seen nothing posted on actually pulling the head.  Can anyone walk me through this.  I have only done it with two strokes and this will be my first 4-stroke pull.  I have the clymer manual but i have read it is riddled with mistakes.  How can i pull it with out taking the engine out of the bike?  Thanks for the help.

Ed

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: pulling the head
Reply #1 - 12/28/11 at 20:53:14

Look in technical section under index. Write ups and pics under engine and cap plug replacement. You would be money ahead buying a Clymers manual. Or if you've been on here a couple of years it just seems to fall into place as you take it apart. There is a print out of head cap bolt positions to attach to cardboard and put bolts there as you take them off. Go slow and be patient. I would try to diagnose the knocking first. What's your year model and mileage? Knocking or tapping? Give us an idea.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #2 - 12/29/11 at 18:01:04

more like a tapping just above the exhaust pipe.  i was going to pull off the valve cover and check out the valves but i think i will have to pull the engine out of the frame.  it's a 2003 with 53k.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 12/29/11 at 18:17:28

I've had the head off mine 4 or 5 time , with out pulling the motor.

If there is not enough room then get the dremel out with a sanding drum on it ( or simular)   .    You will have to leave the center bolt in the top cover while you get wiggle it off,   you will see what I'm refering to when you get to it.  Just doin't be supprised that one of them woin't come out till you move the top half way off.

I have even un-screwed the long bolts (head bolts) with a pair of vice-grips and then removed the cylinder itself.

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 12/30/11 at 10:16:08

I had the head off my 96 with the engine in place, but pivoting around the lower rear engine bolt. Rest were removed, allows the engine to tip down enough to R&R the head with the studs intact. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/30/11 at 10:49:56

it may seem like a lot of work to pull the motor, but it's easier if you're going to pull the head.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:24:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pulling the head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.