Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cafe Conversion "the late night special (Read 3248 times)
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cafe Conversion "the late night special
12/10/11 at 20:03:37

Hey all, I wanted to introduce my project.  It is a cafe build on a serious budget and hopefully will give someone else some ideas or inspiration as I have gotten from many other projects.
Please disregard the piles of junk in the background.  Just moved and lots of stuff is just waiting for a home.
here it is at the beginning:

progress:

and its current state:

The seat foam and upholstery is not pictured here.  No I don't ride with just the sheetmetal seat..ouch.  
 After searching for a project bike I stumbled across the Ryca conversion and then stumbled here.  I bought a 97 Savage and set out to do a cafe conversion, admittedly riffing ideas from the Ryca guys as a foundation, but also completing the bike coming up with some ideas and fabrication of my own.  I am calling this the late night special because I completed it largely between the hours of 10pm and 2am.  I just had a kid and my wife made me the deal I could pick up another project if it didn't cut into family time.  I budgeted out the build, including the parts and materials left to purchase, at $800.00 not including the cost of the bike which was $1,500.00.  Again, I made the deal that I would not touch our bank account to fund the bike so I sold some car parts to make the motorcycle fund.  So far I am at $764.00.  Sorry I didn't take more photos i was just kind of trying to get it done so I could get back to riding.  It isn't nearly finished yet.  I am making another seat (i got the idea for this one from the cb450 Rpnsht posted a link to) but it rushed it and I am not happy with the outcome.  I am going a different direction with the new version.  The paint will be something in the realm of the paint scheme of one of my favorite cafes pictured here- http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xs750

I wanted to throw this out as an idea for those who might want to tackle a cafe build but don't have the cash for the Ryca kit.  I have no ill words for Ryca or their kit.  I think they did a pretty great job and had some great vision to see what the bike could be.  I just don't have the cash for it.  I used the gauges, clip ons, and speedo cable from the kit purchased here from BuckRyca (thanks!!) and bought my rearsets from fastfromthepast.com.  I fabbed the rest of the parts needed, and am still making stuff and working out ideas but for now it is very ride-able and I use it as my daily driver.  I do 62 miles round trip on the freeway here in SoCal and it performs great.  It looks s a little "rat rod" now but by the end I should have a polished bike I will be proud to show off for approx $2,300.00 total.  I used some stuff I already had from previous projects (that seat used to be part of a  repro 69 camaro quarter panel  Wink) so to replicate it would cost slightly more than I have in it right now but I thought it might spark someone else to dive into a cafe build even if they are a little short on cash.  Thanks for all the tips and tricks I have picked up here.  I will post progress on the bike as I finish it up.  

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cafe Conversion "the late night special
Reply #1 - 12/10/11 at 22:08:54

That looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!
I'm right behind you, man... just posted my build thread a few minutes ago, and found yours here tonight too.
Wide awake and posting stuff while our wives and babies sleep...

Cheers!
And good night!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/10/11 at 22:50:22

Looks good, I sure like the peg location. Personally, I really like the No front fender look,, I just cant see me taking the crud coming off the tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/11/11 at 07:58:20

Agreed the no fender look is more form than function for sure.  I still might end up running a front fender if I find myself eating dirt and grime too often.  I welded in some sheetmetal to enclose the back of the frame to help cut down dirt back there but just like the look too much to run the front fender.

For the rearset location I used a plum bob to mark the centerline of the rider (or where I ride at least) and measured my leg from knee to foot to find a spot where I felt would be most comfortable and give my desired stance.

Thanks for the kind words!

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/11/11 at 23:21:12

congrats on the build! we almost have matching seat pans:

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/12/11 at 12:34:21

scubachef wrote on 12/11/11 at 07:58:20:
Agreed the no fender look is more form than function for sure.  I still might end up running a front fender if I find myself eating dirt and grime too often.  I welded in some sheetmetal to enclose the back of the frame to help cut down dirt back there but just like the look too much to run the front fender.

For the rearset location I used a plum bob to mark the centerline of the rider (or where I ride at least) and measured my leg from knee to foot to find a spot where I felt would be most comfortable and give my desired stance.

Thanks for the kind words!

If you didn't use the RYCA footpeg mount bracket, can you show us how you got them mounted? They look perfect!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 12/12/11 at 12:52:53

Interesting setup you have there...I like it for a cafe style bike. What catches my eye of curiosity is the rear reservoir style shocks you've got there... Shocked ... What are they? How do they compare to stock in ride quality and eye to eye distance?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/12/11 at 13:39:55

Teabowl13, the mount for the rearsets is essential the same design that Ryca used.  I thought of a few ideas and thought of making mounts welded to the frame, etc.  I could not find a better solution so I took that idea and put my own spin on it.   I used a piece of 1.25"square tubing that runs underneath the bike from peg to peg and welded all brackets to it.  I will try and snaps some pics when I get home.  

The shocks are RFY shocks and can be found on ebay.  I did some legwork and found most people panned them for being a chinese knockoff of something like an Ohlins (which they are) but one guy on dotheton.com got some and took them apart to see what the deal really was.  If you look on the site his avatar is CrazyPJ.  
Turns out the parts are good but the assembly is horrible.  So with some fluid, charging with gas/air, and some adjustment to the preload they actually perform pretty well, and cheap at $70.00 for a pair of re-buildable shocks.  eye to eye is 12.5 but they come in different sizes.  bushings are too small, it required some finesse to retrofit with your original bushings.  I am playing with pressures and  preload but so far the ride has been good.  I actually am going to stiffen them up for handling but as is they are a comfortable ride.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/13/11 at 10:06:21

That was really smart to do your research on those shocks. I had looked at those too, but decided on the Vintage RedWings that I got because they will fit the look and theme of my bike better. I think they are super sexy,  but then again, I paid $200 for them!

We had the same issue with the shock bushings.
Even though my shocks were NOS and came with two sets; 10mm, and 12mm, which are the most common sizes, they were still too small, so we had to ream the rubber bits out and squeeze in the bushings from the stock shocks. Not too hard to do, but not fun  either....

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/13/11 at 10:09:48

I meant to say,
I'll bet it's loud as stink, but I like the look of your exhaust pipe. Did you make that yourself? What's the muffler part on there, or is there one?

(And I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you can get that thing out into the daylight, you'll probably get much better pictures. I'll bet you bike looks much better in real life than your pictures show...)

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/13/11 at 10:38:29

you're correct, cell phone pics in bad light don't really cut it.   The bushing situation wasn't hard but as you alluded to, time consuming and a little frustrating.  I had 12mm bushing that came with mine as well...bummer.  I love your shocks, for your bike's style that is the perfect choice.  

I did make the pipe and it does have a baffle.  I cut the stock pipe off just before the reducer and with it on the bike took a tig welding rod and bent the shape I wanted.  Took that to the muffler shop and had a pipe bent up.  There is a glasspack baffle from MAC exhaust welded in, and some BBQ paint to give it color.   I am happy with the sound, and the look was just what I wanted.    

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/13/11 at 10:45:22

Yeah, that looks like a real purpose-built, no fooling around race exhaust. Nice job with budget parts!

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/13/11 at 14:32:44

Here are some pics of the mount as promised.  

The mounting bracket for the rearsets is equally spaced from the brackets that bolt to the engine mounts.  You can see a difference in spacing between the swingarm and the rearsets due to the shifter side of the swingarm bowing out.  Instead worrying about the gap between the swingarm and the rearsets I made sure my feet would fall to the same place on both sides of the bike but for looks someone might bring in the bracket on the brake side to make sure the gaps match.  I have measurements and a little diagram for those really interested I can pm it.  The picture from the top shows the square tubing used to brace the brackets attaching the unit to the engine mounts.  I stood on the pegs and bounced a few times and it was rock solid.    

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/13/11 at 17:30:21

chain conversion?

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/13/11 at 21:00:30

Hell yeah, just trying to figure out the perfect combo.   Lots of freeway crusing as well as running around town and in the hills, so I think there might be some trial and error to figure out the best compromise.  I want my cake and to eat it too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 13:43:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Conversion "the late night special

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.