Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cafe Conversion "the late night special (Read 3262 times)
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cafe Conversion "the late night special
Reply #60 - 08/17/15 at 15:04:19

nice read.  Cool to see the evolution.  I like the stance.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cafe Conversion *Now with electrical issues :(
Reply #61 - 08/18/15 at 09:32:56

Few more electrical questions before I spend this afternoon hunting the issue I'm having.  Bear with what I know are basic questions...and thanks in advance.  I'm checking to make sure everything is wired correctly but am a little confused by the Clymer's wiring diagram.  Can someone verify that the wiring of my starter solenoid is correct? specifically the yellow/black and the black/white wires on the two smaller terminals are.  Here is how I have the solenoid wired

I want to check the solenoid itself.  I see the Ohm range of 2-6 but am not positive what position to set the multimeter.  Here is a pic of the multimeter I'm using, Which position on the Ohm side should I set it to?

This afternoon I am going to test the starter, the solenoid, and if needed run the wiring from the right handlebar switch back to see if anything is pinched/damaged, etc.  Thanks again for the help.    

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #62 - 08/18/15 at 09:59:51

The Yellow wire goes to the Decompression Controller, the black wire goes to a ground.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #63 - 08/18/15 at 11:02:22

If you want to do a real quick check on the solenoid you could just connect your yellow wire to the positive on your battery and the black wire to the negative.  You should hear the click of the magnet moving up.  That's a pretty sure bet it's working.  If you wanna be certain then you also connect your multimeter to the other two terminals and check for continuity.  When you touch the yellow to positive and black to ground you'll hear the click...keep holding them there and then you'll either see a reading on your multimeter (some even beep) which means it's good or it'll show no continuity which means it's bad.  The continuity setting is the one that looks like a soundwave.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 08/23/15 at 22:54:23

I tested the starter solenoid for continuity and think it is bad, but I have a few questions.  The battery was not in the bike for the test.  I tested the two smaller terminals, multimeter beeped and the reading was 5.  Testing the two larger terminals, no beep and a reading of 725.  

I'm a little confused by the Clymer's.  It says on page 238 in the area about testing the solenoid to disconnect the battery wire(+) and the ground wire(-) from the large terminals.  I have one large terminal with a wire from the battery, and the other with a wire to the starter...no ground.  Is something wrong with the bike, the manual, or me?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #65 - 08/24/15 at 01:23:19

I saw that too...maybe an error in translation?

The solenoid is just a switch.  If you connect the batt + to the yellow and the batt - to the black wire you should hear a click if it's working.  While you have the black and yellow wires connected to the batt you can put your multimeter on the two larger terminals and check for continuity (or resistance if you prefer).  If you get a beep then you know with absolute certainty that it's working.

Basically what's happening is when the battery is connected to the yellow and black it charges the electromagnet and the magnet moves up and bridges the two larger terminals.  That's when the switch is closed.  Disconnect the batt and the magnet stops bridging...switch open.  

The pertinent bit of the Clymer instructions are in step 9.

« Last Edit: 08/24/15 at 23:40:10 by chzeckmate »  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical issues
Reply #66 - 08/24/15 at 19:38:53

The solenoid checks out good tested per the Clymers manual. I'm still confused why I got such a weird reading testing it when it was on the bike. I tested it three times and got no beep and 725 on the screen.  Undecided

Does anyone know how I could test the decomp controller?  Anyone have a picture of how the handlebar switch should look internally?  I think I put it back together correctly, but I am trying to go part by part to find my issue. Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #67 - 08/24/15 at 21:02:12

You can't check ohms on a circuit with power to it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 08/25/15 at 16:21:52

Did you figure out why your bike isn't starting? I kinda skimmed through your thread and looked at the pics haha! I had a problem with my bike, it wouldnt start, i got a new solenoid, not the problem, new battery, not the problem, hooked up the starter to straight power and it wouldnt go, so I figured it was done, I took it apart and one of the magnets in there had come apart. I cleaned it up and took all the broken magnet out, put it back together and it started just fine, also I was wondering if you could pm me the dimensions of that sweet rearset bracket you made, I am looking to do something similar to my savage, I cant send pms yetSad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #69 - 08/25/15 at 21:13:04

Connect the voltmeter to the starter hot wire and chassis ground. Prove it is not getting power.
If it's getting power then go back, read my posts,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 08/25/15 at 21:22:29

Trevorw, I have pictures that I added dimensions to.  Let me gather them together and I will message them to you. Super easy build actually. All the time was spent figuring out the measurements.

IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 08/26/15 at 19:48:18

Awesome! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #72 - 02/25/16 at 18:22:09

scubachef wrote on 12/13/11 at 14:32:44:
Here are some pics of the mount as promised.  

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/chefsamurai/2011-12-13_13-54-02_703.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/chefsamurai/2011-12-13_13-53-42_298.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/chefsamurai/2011-12-13_13-53-34_223.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/chefsamurai/2011-12-13_13-53-16_621.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/chefsamurai/2011-12-13_13-54-20_44.jpg

The mounting bracket for the rearsets is equally spaced from the brackets that bolt to the engine mounts.  You can see a difference in spacing between the swingarm and the rearsets due to the shifter side of the swingarm bowing out.  Instead worrying about the gap between the swingarm and the rearsets I made sure my feet would fall to the same place on both sides of the bike but for looks someone might bring in the bracket on the brake side to make sure the gaps match.  I have measurements and a little diagram for those really interested I can pm it.  The picture from the top shows the square tubing used to brace the brackets attaching the unit to the engine mounts.  I stood on the pegs and bounced a few times and it was rock solid.    

Do you still have the measurements and diagram? Also I when to the website you got your rear sets from, what model did you get and do you remember how much they were?

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 03/01/16 at 22:44:37

I do have the dimensions.  Shoot me an email address to send them to and I'll get them to you.  I got my rearsets from fastfromthepast.com.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 04/07/16 at 16:21:54

I would love the dimensions as well. Unfortunately,  it won't let me pm you. I hope its ok to connect here. Could you pm me for my email?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 07:30:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Conversion "the late night special

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.