Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slipping Clutch? (Read 358 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Slipping Clutch?
11/16/11 at 17:05:50

Ive been riding my bike around for about 400km so far, and I noticed under heavy throttle and acceleration that the clutch will slip slightly. Ive fiddled with the cable but I dont think that is it.

when I built the bike the clutch sat in a box and probably picked up a lot of dust, saw dust, and dirt. I am thinking it is contaminated but I figured all that woulda rubbed or burned off within the 400km of riding? Ive done about 5 or 6 oil changes as well.

I was thinking of burning some SeaFoam through it, then taking apart the clutch and washing it with warm soapy water and putting in new clutch springs and maybe a new cable. To my knowledge nobodys ever worn out a savage clutch so I dont think new plates are in need?

what do you guys think?

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Slipping Clutch?
Reply #1 - 11/16/11 at 17:08:07

Im also ruinning Lucas 20w-50 motorcycle oil i think, with about half litre of lucas oil stabilizer

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/16/11 at 17:10:02

check the clutch arm by the case. Theres two marks on the case. See where the arm rests in relation to those marks and clue us in. Also...any performance mods? My clutch slipped and rattled like crazy after i swapped carbs, piston, and cam. I got a barnett set and its all gravy.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 11/16/11 at 18:09:13

Wet clutches can slip if they're too dry. I assume your oil level is okay.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/16/11 at 19:12:43

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/16/11 at 18:09:13:
Wet clutches can slip if they're too dry. I assume your oil level is okay.

& dry clutches slip if they get too wet,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/16/11 at 19:22:02

SillyDilly, read this information carefully

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270678838/0

You have a very small part of it right, but only part way right ....

Seafoam has no history of fixing bad clutches.    

The oil you are using has no history of helping to fix a bad clutch.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the tune of 10-15 ounces (really, a half a liter?) is the DEAD WRONG THING TO PUT IN A MOTORCYCLE ENGINE and you have put in way way too much for the 2.5 quarts total sump capacity you are treating.  

You are running a heavier than recommended 20w50 oil already and then you are adding a STP look alike to it to drive the viscosity way way UP (which is the wrong way for you to be going) and you are adding a bunch of plasticizers and friction modifiers to the clutch pack as well, which is death personified for a wet clutch.

Frankly, I would be very surprised if your clutch didn't slip some.....

You need to listen to what the folks say concerning correct oil weights (10w40 or 15w40) and STAY AWAY FROM ADDITIVES/THICKENERS like Lucas or STP.

What works in a car engine DOES NOT WORK IN A WET CLUTCH BIKE

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/16/11 at 19:48:09

according to the tech sheet, percentage was ok, but friction modifiers

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/01_HDOilStabilzr_1_2.pdf

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/16/11 at 20:49:06

Yes, Lucas claims you should use a whole quart of their motorcycle oil stabilizer in with your normal load of motor oil.

Wow -- that's just about 50% of thick plasticizers and friction modifiers in a Savage sump !!!

Do you think your clutch might slip some?

Mebbe a lot ???

Huh

They make a motorcycle product and claim it is safe for wet clutches -- there is discussion on a lot of bike sites about that pro and con but no proof either way.   Also watch the source sites -- Hurley Hogs keep a separate oil bath for the clutch, runs the same oil as the transfer Hi-Vo chain and THE ENGINE OIL IS KEPT TOTALLY SEPARATE FROM THE CLUTCH.

If you used the bike stuff you might do OK, but the car stuff would be death because CARS USE DRY PLATE CLUTCHES or automatic transmissions, both of which are kept separated from the engine oil.

Stuff you might put into a car for acceptable friction modifiers would likely not be good for your wet clutch.   Lucas claims that a 20% mix of their car product makes the oil much more slippery, so what do you think a 50% mix would do?

« Last Edit: 11/17/11 at 07:09:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/17/11 at 06:56:15

So, Silly -- if you take apart your clutch and replaced all the plates with brand new ones the plasticizers and friction modifiers choking your engine (coating every surface inside it) would likely quickly give you a slipping clutch yet again very quickly.

If you changed oils over to something like Rotella T (known to have a good clean up package) it would take years to clean the inside of your engine good enough to get rid of what is already in there.  The friction modifiers are already in there and have to be removed without hurting your engine mechanically.   Your clutch would likely slip some the entire time, of course, but Rotella T can safely clean up even your engine given the 6-8 oil changes you say you've done with the Lucas stuff.

If you use something quick acting, like Seafoam or any other engine flush product to try to get all the slippery out of there quick-like, you will put your engine at risk while trying to more quickly remove your Lucas residues.   Being honest, this isn't the safest path to take and I'm not sure a quick flush product is going to even remove the stuff from inside your clutch -- and the clutch may see the flush product itself as yet just another contaminant.

Lastly -- haven't we been here before about a year ago?   You chose to keep using the Lucas stuff back then and put up with the slippage -- what changed to make you revisit the issue?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/17/11 at 09:41:32

thanks for all the good info guys. so I should do a couple of oil changes, stick to regular 10w30, and not put an additives in?

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/17/11 at 09:43:38

I dont think Ive ever brought up the clutch situation, and if I do I don't remember it. I've only had this bike for like 7 months, and had clutch problems the last 4

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 11/17/11 at 10:37:31

10w40 or 15w40, not 10w30. Make sure it's motorcycle oil for wet clutches and not just regular car oil.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/17/11 at 11:12:55

Verslagen,  didn't you buy a bike that had had some stuff put in it?  

Feeble memory sez you were cussn' it at one point in time a year or so ago because carb cleaner wouldn't remove it easily ????    You did something to get it out -- what was it?

What did you have to do to it to get the crap out of there?

========================

PS   If you actually read the thread up above, you will hear reference to gasoline followed by hot soapy water followed by a finishing sander to abrade off the remaining stubborn energy star crap that was on the steel and fiber plates ....

It ain't all that easy to get off.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/17/11 at 11:15:53

that'll be my winter project

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #14 - 11/17/11 at 19:15:42

I have problems with the clutch slipping when down shifting at higher speeds... is that normal???

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slipping Clutch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.