Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2001 Suzuki Savage engine sudden cut off (Read 272 times)
sologf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2001 Suzuki Savage engine sudden cut off
11/09/11 at 11:18:13

Has anyone had this problem?. I was riding few weeks ago, made a left turn followed by a Stop sign. at the stop sign my engine cut off. all dead, no chocking and no jerking just cut OFF. starter did not work.
1- pulled to the side and turned key off.
2- switched gas tank to reserve, turn key to ON position and tried to start, all worked perfect.
At the time I had very little gas in tank and went to fill up tank immediately.
Today coming to work. I had the same incident four times. the only difference is that my tank is almost full.
Please help. this is my first year riding and my first motorcycle as well.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2001 Suzuki Savage engine sudden cut off
Reply #1 - 11/09/11 at 11:25:31

Typically a vacuum petcock problem.
Run with it in prime and if it goes away you've isolated the problem.
check serowbot's 'check your petcock' post in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
sologf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/09/11 at 11:40:51

Thanks for prompt response. I will ride back  home with switch on Prime Position and read recommended posting.

One more question; Should I leave switch on Prime or switch to other position at the end of trip.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/09/11 at 11:55:33

Return it to 'on' so the autooff will protect from gas dripping into your crankcase.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 13:19:55

sudden engine cut off happens to me when the heel of my boot hits the side stand...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 13:30:54

I have had to run my bike in prime early in the morning lately since it have been 30's and low 40's.  I read on here that the plastic bits in the vac petcock are stiff in the cold and don't work as smoothly.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
sologf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/09/11 at 17:15:24

Thank you all for your advise.
I am glad to report I arrived home safe with Petcock on Prime. Engine seems to run better. I am inclined to accept that my motorcycle needs Petcock work. Tomorrow will ride to work early in the morning with Percock in Prime. will let everyone know how it went.

On the same subject, Once at Gas station I put the kickstand down while engine was running and engine cut off. On this particular day I am sure did not touch the kickstand.

Dear Forum members;
I really appreciate all your support. I was shy to report my problem, now I know that I can count on you.

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #7 - 11/09/11 at 20:12:08

Sologf, don't ever feel you need to avoid asking a question here. Try the search engine, for sure, but failing that you'll find the people here are the best. This forum is mandatory daily reading for many of us, and someone is sure to have the answer you seek. Welcome aboard!

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #8 - 11/10/11 at 14:04:43

Some of the folk here know this bike inside and out. Maby better than the guys who designed it. You ask, they'll give you the link or an answer. All really good people, and smart (except me). Ride safe, far, and often.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 11/12/11 at 06:57:20

If you haven't already done this test, try it to see what you are dealing with.

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sologf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/12/11 at 07:07:24

Could not ride to work on Thursday due to rain. On Friday i rode bicycle. Today (Saturday) I just came back from a 12 mile ride. Temperature was in the high 30s. rode in Prime and had no problems at all. I have gone through the material "verslagen1" suggested and ordered the petcock repair kit. it will arrive on the 17th.
My motorcycle is a Suzuki savage 2001 and just turned 2000 miles. I purchased last April with 937 miles. I am sure I will be going through lots of upkeeping maintenance during this winter.

Thank you again to all of you for your support.

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #11 - 11/12/11 at 08:33:19

sologf, I had coffee with Serowbot earlier in the week & he was telling me about a guy who dropped more than $600 at a dealer who failed to resolve the problem, which was , of course, the petcock. lukeduck's earlier observations about knowledge are spot on - the people here are the BEST. And as I said elsewhere (see Mr. Raptor thread), the petcock swap is EASY.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 11/12/11 at 09:51:15

Arizuno wrote on 11/12/11 at 08:33:19:
sologf, I had coffee with Serowbot earlier in the week & he was telling me about a guy who dropped more than $600 at a dealer who failed to resolve the problem, which was , of course, the petcock.

Yup,... one of the fixer-upper bikes I bought, came with full documented history and receipts... (an 04' I think)
Included a ring job, among other things, at a cost $600...  I'm certain that was done due to compression loss, caused by the petcock leaking and gas washing the cylinder...  After spending that much, it still didn't run right, so it sat for 1 1/2 years before he finally sold it...

Cost me $900, plus a battery, plug, oil change, Versy adjuster, and Raptor, and a valve adjust... $1150 in + my labor, and sold for $1800...

The guy also had the original purchase invoice... $4299 + tax, license, prep, extended warranty, and financing... he paid $8400 total...  INSANE!...

« Last Edit: 11/12/11 at 11:52:51 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 11/12/11 at 13:06:51

Slog, I bought my 2001 with 7400 miles on it. Had to fix head cap leak and timing chain adjuster at 17,300 miles. Put 400 miles on it since then. Rode 52 miles today just 'cause I could. Change the oil, keep air in the tires and ride it. Washing is optional.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
botoxotod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/05/13 at 20:40:15

I also have a 2001 S40 and I'm having the same problem! But I can't find the right petcock repair kit. Does anyone know of a compatible K&L kit? Help! Embarrassed

sologf wrote on 11/12/11 at 07:07:24:
Could not ride to work on Thursday due to rain. On Friday i rode bicycle. Today (Saturday) I just came back from a 12 mile ride. Temperature was in the high 30s. rode in Prime and had no problems at all. I have gone through the material "verslagen1" suggested and ordered the petcock repair kit. it will arrive on the 17th.
My motorcycle is a Suzuki savage 2001 and just turned 2000 miles. I purchased last April with 937 miles. I am sure I will be going through lots of upkeeping maintenance during this winter.

Thank you again to all of you for your support.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:15:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 Suzuki Savage engine sudden cut off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.