Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advise: Pull motor or not? (Read 215 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Advise: Pull motor or not?
11/09/11 at 06:42:26

Having neither the knowhow, nor the specialty tools required once I get there, would there be any useful purpose in pulling the motor this winter?

Quick history--ran over big rock. Punched hole in bottom of motor. Patched with JB Weld. Held up this summer. Starting to leak again. (constant drip) Makes funny noises inside, and heavy vibration on acceleration. (Never did before hitting rock)

So, would it be worth it to go through all that, just to get a better patch job, or, just do the best I can, with motor still on the bike, and continue to ride until it blows? (Which is what I'll probably do anyways)

Like I said, I have neither the knowhow, tools, nor money required to do a motor teardown. And, unless fatboy drops a new motor on my porch on December 25, I don't see replacing the motor as an option, either.

Undecided

All this really sucks after dumping $1200 into it last winter. (New battery, 2 new tires and tubes, forward controls, head gasket, Verslavy, rebuild carb with new mixture screw, 3" handlebar risers, front pads, rear shoes, headlight bulb)

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: Advise: Pull motor or not?
Reply #1 - 11/09/11 at 06:46:32

I am a little OCD about my car and bike so I would say yes pull the hell outta that motor. Where is the hole exactly?  you do not need to replace the whole motor just the piece with the hole in it. But, yes, this will require some specialty tools and a lot of time and know how. It can be done and winter is a good time to do it.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 11/09/11 at 07:02:21

The hole is on the right lower side, bottom of motor right where it curves, between two case bolts. Almost straight across from the drainplug. Right on the edge. Cracks running in several directions from the actual hole. It also dented the frame right there, pretty deep--almost flat.

There are shops around here that could do the work, but I need both of my arms and legs. Plus, I'd have to locate a used motor with intact parts--I found 1 in Milwaukee. Top 1/2 is missing and they still want $600 for what's left. That's a bit steep just for a right side lower engine case.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 11/09/11 at 07:15:53

It'd be a lot of work but this might do it for ya...shipping is 100 bucks but it's cheaper than the half engine near you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-SUZUKI-LS650-ls-650-savage-ENGINE-BLOCK-tranny-c...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 07:17:42

$600 for a bottom end?  I gotta whole engine for that.  Keep looking.
I know pinwall has more for more.

The leaks would prompt for a better patch.  Not much you can do about odd noises except prepare for the worst.

WWW   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 07:19:55

darn, sound like you're almost better in cash to buy an old Savage for parts. Must have been a big rock, what the hell was it doing on the road?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 11/09/11 at 07:25:56

It was a honeydew melon sized rock in the middle of state highway, in front of a construction site. 45 mph speed limit, came out from under car in front of me--could not avoid hitting it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/09/11 at 07:38:38

I'd be lookin' for a new engine...

How many minutes did it run with the hole?... more than a minute or two, and it's gonna' seize soon anyway...
That'd be my guess...  it's happened here before...
Guy forgot to put oil in after a change, rode a couple miles, then remembered and filled up... Engine seized in a couple weeks...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 11/09/11 at 08:15:26

I went maybe 2 miles. There was still 1 quart in there when I got home and drained it. Rode bike all summer--no seize.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 11/09/11 at 08:35:08

drums1 wrote on 11/09/11 at 08:15:26:
I went maybe 2 miles. There was still 1 quart in there when I got home and drained it. Rode bike all summer--no seize.

Pretty darn good!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/09/11 at 08:49:42

drums1 wrote on 11/09/11 at 08:15:26:

1 qt is not empty, if you develop a leak in the oil pressure path, it'll pretty much drain all the oil outta the case.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 11/09/11 at 09:17:13

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/09/11 at 17:31:50

drums1 wrote on 11/09/11 at 07:25:56:
It was a honeydew melon sized rock in the middle of state highway, in front of a construction site. 45 mph speed limit, came out from under car in front of me--could not avoid hitting it.

Sounds like you may have been running a bit close. Also sounds like you coulda got yourself hurt pretty bad, Sorry you boogered up your bike, but you didnt get hurt//& thats a good thing.

Why dont you pull your engine & open it up & see what you can do about it before spending $$$ on a replacement? You cant mess it up. Take a shot at it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 11/10/11 at 04:45:05

Ya, that was the only good thing about it, that I didn't wipe out. Still not sure how I managed that. Not to mention there was a car right behind me. Had I wiped out, he probably would have run me over.

As far as pulling motor, from what I saw in Bubba's ebay link, there would be quite a bit of disassembly involved once I got it out. Another gasket set at the very least. And specialty tools that I don't have. And ripping apart things I know nothing about. So, I think I'm gonna do another on-the-bike patch over patch with JB Weld and see how long it lasts next spring.

The worst part being that some of the JB Weld patch went over a couple of the lower case bolts. There were some small cracks right up to those bolts. I would be chiseling JB Weld off just to get at them.

So, patch over patch, ride till it blows, then probably part it out and live miserably ever after with no bike.

Undecided

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 11/10/11 at 05:45:26

Ride it til she blows, then buy another bike that has some horrible problem not associated with the motor and between the two of em you can make one working bike. Then part out all the extra parts to us to recoup some of the expense.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:24:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advise: Pull motor or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.