Send Topic Print
Raptor question... (Read 300 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Raptor question...
Reply #15 - 11/03/11 at 21:01:19

Remember the Raptor has less reserve than the stock unit, because the tube is shorter letting you go further in the "on" position. I have found that my bike can be wiggled side to side to keep running till I get it onto "reserve".

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #16 - 11/04/11 at 15:09:05

Ah ha, interesting and significant factoid there boofer, thanks!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/04/11 at 15:49:48

lukeduck wrote on 11/03/11 at 20:20:11:
Yep, run on reserve regularly, tank full with Seafoam. 15-20 miles at highway speeds. Don't let the crap collect in the bottom of the tank.

I have to be curious,
where would you rather the crud end up rather than stay in the bottom of the tank ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #18 - 11/04/11 at 16:02:35

Well maby rather than keeping it cleaned out could let it collect for a couple of years and feed it to the carb all at once when you have to go on reserve. I don't know, have only had to go on reserve one time. I normally try to clear the bottom of the tank once a month. Who knows? The Shadow??? No, wait I got one of those. Ohhh weeeel.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #19 - 11/05/11 at 16:05:15

Built2Last wrote on 11/02/11 at 19:05:15:
Did you try popping your gas cap seal? Maybe there was a bit of a suction in the gas tank not allowing it flow through the reserve tube or whatever... I'm just taking a wild shot in the dark, since I've had problems with my gas cap seal and petcock...

That was it!! That was the problem! I took her out for a spin today and it kept acting like it was out of gas. I would let it sit for a bit and off we would go- for about a quarter mile and it would quit again. Got it home and shut it off and heard a hissing sound from the cap. Took the cap apart and found the "spacer" gasket I had put under the stock gasket to stop it from leaking had shifted, blocking the vent hole in the top of the cap. I cut a 1/2" slit in the spacer gasket and tried it at 2500 rpm for a minute or two and shut it off. No hissing. Cheesy Cheesy

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #20 - 11/06/11 at 05:25:25

arteacher wrote on 11/05/11 at 16:05:15:
Did you try popping your gas cap seal? Maybe there was a bit of a suction in the gas tank not allowing it flow through the reserve tube or whatever... I'm just taking a wild shot in the dark, since I've had problems with my gas cap seal and petcock...

That was it!! That was the problem! I took her out for a spin today and it kept acting like it was out of gas. I would let it sit for a bit and off we would go- for about a quarter mile and it would quit again. Got it home and shut it off and heard a hissing sound from the cap. Took the cap apart and found the "spacer" gasket I had put under the stock gasket to stop it from leaking had shifted, blocking the vent hole in the top of the cap. I cut a 1/2" slit in the spacer gasket and tried it at 2500 rpm for a minute or two and shut it off. No hissing. Cheesy Cheesy

What I did to fix this problem on my sickle was loosened those 2 screws under the gas cap REALLY LOOSE (they have lock nut washers or whatever on them anyway) and that fixed all my suction problems plus I don't have gas spewing out when I fill up.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 11/06/11 at 05:35:54

What I would have done in your place is put a couple of thin washers under the plastic piece so you would have the extra clearance but be able to tighten the screws.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #22 - 11/06/11 at 05:40:47

If you get a chance, throw up a pic of exactly where that breather hole is.. I can't find it to save to my life and I still have a bit of suction but haven't been out in awhile because my muffler is off at Voodoo Vintage being welded.. not sure if that tiny bit of suction will be enough to knock me "out of gas" at around 70mph or not but I still would like to take extra measure to not have it happen  Cheesy

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #23 - 11/06/11 at 05:42:54

arteacher wrote on 11/06/11 at 05:35:54:
What I would have done in your place is put a couple of thin washers under the plastic piece so you would have the extra clearance but be able to tighten the screws.

I have the screw just barely snug, slightly over finger tight and they aren't going anywhere since the lock washers are there... and there's a noticeable difference in suction when I take off the gas cap now, but I haven't been able to fully test it yet..

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #24 - 11/07/11 at 15:32:41

Built2Last wrote on 11/06/11 at 05:40:47:

If you get a chance, throw up a pic of exactly where that breather hole is.. I can't find it to save to my life and I still have a bit of suction but haven't been out in awhile because my muffler is off at Voodoo Vintage being welded.. not sure if that tiny bit of suction will be enough to knock me "out of gas" at around 70mph or not but I still would like to take extra measure to not have it happen  Cheesy

I will next time I take the cap apart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.