Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Move up to a bigger bike? (Read 194 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Move up to a bigger bike?
11/01/11 at 18:05:39

I have wanted a Harley for a long time now but now that I have this savage I don't think I really need one.  The savage sems to be perfect for my 5'6" hobbit body type.  This is more than enough bike to whip me around.  But sometimes I just want a big growling vtwin and a bigger gas tank for more mileage.  I am still about a year from being able to afford a bigger bike but that doesn't stop me from looking a good hour or so a day, lol.

Did you move up to a bigger bike?  What did you get and how was the change? What convinced you to get a bigger bike?  What do you want to "upgrade" Lips Sealed to?  Is a fuel injected bike a good idea?

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Move up to a bigger bike?
Reply #1 - 11/01/11 at 18:24:52

depends on how you ride and how you like to ride. nothing wrong with a savage, I moved on because I didn't know any better  Tongue   do you want a couch to ride around on? or a flickable speed hungry machine? does your back feel better sitting upright or being laid back with or without ape hangers? I still want a Victory Vegas and a sport bike of some kind, but for now my Bonneville is perfect.  bigger bikes can be more of a pain than a blessing, at slower speeds like parking and unparking the bike, they can be cumbersome and hard to get started, so if you are just going out for a few minutes, is it worth the struggle? when you could just jump on a savage and go. a bigger gas tank is nice though, but a lot of the times that's a trick because those bikes can get much poorer gas mileage . . .

I look around all the time for "the deal"   I still want an inline 4 just to figure out what the hell is wrong with them and if I can figure out how to ride them.  someday I also want a project bike. and some day I'll want a couch bike.  

I kinda feel like I'm playing pokeman (bikeamon?) I gotta catch them all!!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 11/01/11 at 20:01:05

If you are doing a lot of Hiway miles ( long trips) and /or two up consider a bigger bike. I moved up to a c50  last yr. it is more comfortable on the long haul. The wife is now going with me more and more and the c50 is much better for two up. I now have a c90 which is way more powerful and roomy. At 70 mph it feels like it's only idling.

As always there are trade offs. You will have to decide if  loosing the maneuverability and lightness would be worth it. If I was just tooling around town and doing short hiway hops I would have stayed with the s40.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 11/01/11 at 20:23:40

s40 is fine for around town or even two up for an hour or two.. anything longer move up.. keep your s40 and trick it out!

IP Logged
Mike W.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lemoore,CA
Reply #4 - 11/01/11 at 21:49:30

The S40 is perfect for what it is. I've had smaller bikes and bigger bikes. I've had other thumpers, parallel twins, V-twins, opposed twins, four cylinders, chain drive, belt drive, shaft drive, four stroke, and two strokes. They are all great! Big bikes are nice for longer distance, weather protection, bringing the S.O., packing a weeks worth of gear, etc...
The smaller ones can be way too much fun through the twisties and still take you hundreds of miles in a day. There are no bad bikes.

But to answer your question: Buy the bike that you want. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of your bike. If a 50cc scooter thrills you, buy it! (I did.) If a big sport touring bike sounds like the way to see that far off place, go for it! But if a fun little bike with soul stirs you...keep the S40. Mine will be in the garage until the next bike shows up. (It may stay if there is room for three motorcycles and all the other junk out there!)
I better shut up now. (I get too wound up over bikes... Grin)

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/01/11 at 23:15:51

I like my Savage for it's simplicity and it's good looks. My riding buddies all have bigger bikes than mine but are impressed enough after years of riding together that a couple are thinking of trading theirs in on a S-40. Dependable and quick. A bit light on long trips when traveling 70 plus all day long tho. The bike handles the freeways great but it will wear you out at the end of the day. For that reason my only other choice of bikes would be the S-50 because I like the looks and it is 100 lbs heavier. But every time I go look at new bikes, I always come home to my Savage and am glad I bought it.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 11/02/11 at 06:30:24

I am in a similar dillema as you. About 15 years ago, I really started to get the itch for a HD and seriously considered a few options, but as a young newly wed couple, kids started to arrive and the dream of a bike slid further and further onto the back burner. Finally after 5 kids I conviced my wife that I still wanted a bike and she had no interest in riding with me at all, so the S40 sounded like a good option. I've had the bike for just over 2 years and this year was the first time she ever rode with me on the bike. Needless to say, after 1 ride was another ride and now she wants to ride with me more often, but complains about the passenger seat and how cramped we are when we are both on the S40. She has even asked me a few different times what it would cost to get a bigger bike that would work better for the two of us to ride together. I've always had my eye on a HD Road King, and for 2up I think it might be the ticket, but I have a hard time thinking about forking over that amount of $$$ so I've started reconsidering bikes like the C50 and C90 but no matter what I find, I still plan on keeping the S40 for around town and so that she will have a more manageable bike for when she decides that she wants to drive one too  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 11/02/11 at 06:38:13

I got me a C50 in the spring. Got a great deal on a leftover 2009 still in the crate for $5000 out the door. I love the way it feels and rides (especially on the highway). I still have my savage and prolly always will. Different bike for different purposes. Love them both.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #8 - 11/02/11 at 16:27:40

How does a sportster compare to a S40?  Is an 883 about as fast as our savages?  I assume a 1200 is significantly faster at least top end wise.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/02/11 at 16:48:10

MrBrownTX wrote on 11/02/11 at 16:27:40:
How does a sportster compare to a S40?  Is an 883 about as fast as our savages?  I assume a 1200 is significantly faster at least top end wise.

seat wise it's about the same(although nightster seats are harsher) an 883 isn't quite worth the money, but it's much smoother than the 1200, but the new 1200's with the rubberized engine mounts (2004 and up) aren't bad though.  I think both the 883 and the 1200 have higher top end speeds than the S-40, but the S-40 has quicker acceleration up to a point, the Harleys are both 500lbs + though so that affects parking lot stuff, and depending on your own physical body will depend how much that means to you.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/02/11 at 19:10:47

I like the sound of a Harley... and the look, of the engine, at least...
They do get excellent gas mileage for a big bike, (better than ours at 70+mph)...
... but,... the controls... shifting, clutching, kickstand,... are caveman.... and too much vibration,... .
.. and reliability,... Hog riders consider engine rebuilds to be routine maintenance...

If you want a good Harley...  ...buy a Japanese one.... Grin...

Personally,...  I want ten more horses, and twenty less pounds...
(I'm at 34hp and 320 + 140lbs right now)...
10lbs per horsie... = Bouhyahhh!...
Zoom, zoom!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #11 - 11/03/11 at 15:05:21

According to data at http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf the S40 and 883 are very close in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with a slight edge to the Harley.  The 883 Iron I rode felt incredibly slow to me but that was before I had my Savage so I wasn't comparing them.  But all the 1200's tested are over 2 seconds faster to 60 and the late models are over 2 seconds faster through the quarter.  That's a lot.  There are a lot of nice things to say about an S40 but fast isn't one of them.  I know I've read about modified LS650's getting into the 14's for 1/4 mile times but that still leaves them a full second behind a stock 1200.  And just a couple mods to the Harley (pipes, reprogrammed ecu) and it's going to be a lot quicker than stock.

The Iron I rode did have a crappy feel but every other HD I've ridden has been much better.  If you think you want a Harley go ride one.  Their dealers are much better about demos than most.  And don't forget about Victory.  A very nice HD alternative.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/03/11 at 20:30:32

Victorys are sweet. They are on my wish list,

The s40 is just a fun, flickable and simple bike. A more comfy seat( perhaps an air hawk), forward controls and exhaust will just enhance the experience that much more.

My Vulcan 800A is also a fun, comfy bike, sorta like a big bother to my s40. Isn't as flickable, but still handles nice once under way. I love the easy turning and posture of the tall, skinny front wheels.

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #13 - 11/03/11 at 20:34:32

Just picked up a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 (2007). Great hiway ride 2 up. Water cooled, hydaulic lifters, shaft drive, 48-52 mpg. Has a real solid rep. Low maint. and many go over 100,000 miles. The Spirit model kinda reminds me of the Savage, buckhorn bars, sissy bar. Might be one for you. It is kinda a pig in town, but great on the road. Cool

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #14 - 11/06/11 at 09:39:56

I'm havin' a ton of fun putting in some quality wrench time on my Savage, which is kinda why I bought it in the first place.  I wanted a simple bike to hone my mechanical skills on, and the LS650 is about as simple as they come.  I can only really justify the cost if I do all the labor myself, and I hope to be one of those dudes that can strip and rebuild the whole thing with only the tools in their toolbag.  A lofty goal, I know...

That said, when I feel comfortable enough with my skills to get into something a little deeper, I'm gonna try and round up one of 2 bikes; a '75 Shovelhead or a '75 CB750.  I was born in 1975, so I wanna roll something made that year too.  I'll still keep the Sav if at all possible.  Loves me my little thump.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Move up to a bigger bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.