Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
in the middle of the Verslavy install (Read 217 times)
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
in the middle of the Verslavy install
10/31/11 at 12:09:15

It appears that the snap ring on the cam chain adjuster body shaft doesn't take much to be of no use a second time so going with recommendation of replacing.  The shaft is 8mm and I was told that you ask for the snap ring by shaft size not the grooved size so I need an 8mm ring (.3150 inches). This is a hair larger than a 5/16 inch ring (.3125 inches).  We're only talking .0025 inches.  Dealer has to order but hardware store has the 5/16 inch one.  Could I use the 5/16 as is, relieve it a tad with a rattail file or is this too critical to not wait for the correct one from the dealer?  
Also, is the snap ring (also called retaining ring) the only applicable piece here?  E-ring or any others applicable?  
After looking at that little bolt that holds the slider to the adjuster should I be putting locktite on it?  Doesn't look like it had any from the factory but it's flimsy enough that it's hard to torque it accurately.  
Finally, if you haven't seen one yet, Verslagen's mod is a real quality piece of work.  Sure glad he stepped up to get a quality product out to us to remedy the only real Achilles's heel that I'm aware of on this bike.
A tip for fellow installers - if you accidentally brush that little plastic piece he put in there to hold it until it's installed, you will regret it.  Spent a half an hour trying to get my daughter's eyebrow tweezers with fine point in between the gears to get it out.  Note to self and others - always put rags under adjuster when working on it.
Thanks.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: in the middle of the Verslavy install
Reply #1 - 10/31/11 at 13:48:20

I have a couple of those rings extra.
One auto store or another should have it.
or a store that sells bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/31/11 at 14:33:59

Tried the main hardware stores and they only go down to 10mm so I bought a couple of 5/16 and they seem to fit fine.  Thinner though so what do you think?

Big Sur
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/31/11 at 14:44:16

Really just need to hold it on, no end load.

So should be fine.

WWW   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/31/11 at 15:03:29

That's what I was thinking too, thanks

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 10/31/11 at 23:27:40

I just did my cam adjuster and plug cap. I didn't remove the adjuster body or circlip. I held the extender in with one hand and screwed the bolt in the adjuster with the other. Tightened good and tight with a drip of Loctite blue. Made a 75 mile test ride today in full sun, yellow leaves, and 68 degree weather. No problems. My motto is: "Don't take nothing off you don't have to." And only half of what you have to.   Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/31/11 at 23:58:58

I think you're confused about what I was doing Boofer.  I was putting on the new Verslavy and it consists of a new body and a new plunger.  No way to install it without taking off the clip, putting on the new body and then replacing the clip.  If I could of got away with doing it any other way I would have.  Pretty flimsy clip but as Verslagen said there isn't any force on it, just prevents it from sliding off the shaft.  So I put on a 5/16 inch clip which is readily available at any hardware store as opposed to the 8mm which is not.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 11/01/11 at 04:09:18

When I did the verslagen mod, my clip went flying and I couldn't find it. Got one at the suzuki shop for 68 cents. Got an extra one just in case I lose another one. I was gonna just put it back together without any clip but decided against it.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/01/11 at 06:11:52

5/16" = 7.9375mm.   I wouldn't worry about using a 5/16" clip at all. It will work just fine. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 11/01/11 at 18:29:02

kuri77 wrote on 10/31/11 at 23:58:58:
I think you're confused about what I was doing Boofer.  I was putting on the new Verslavy and it consists of a new body and a new plunger.  No way to install it without taking off the clip, putting on the new body and then replacing the clip.  If I could of got away with doing it any other way I would have.  Pretty flimsy clip but as Verslagen said there isn't any force on it, just prevents it from sliding off the shaft.  So I put on a 5/16 inch clip which is readily available at any hardware store as opposed to the 8mm which is not.

Not confused at all. I just told how I did it without strapping the spring and plunger in. I'm all about using whatever tool I can reach, skinned fingers, a little fire, and success. I did a Mississippi half Verslavy with help from some local Vocational Technical welders. Verslavy is the way to go if you have the time and money. He has a great system priced right, imo. I hope we both get several more trouble free miles.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/01/11 at 20:05:39

I think I got it.  You didn't take the clip off because without the new Verslavy body to install you can just add the plunger while holding it in?  If that isn't it then I'm the one who is confused.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 11/02/11 at 09:34:14

That's what he meant, I'm sure.

The spring in the plunger is not that bad to hold together with just your fingers. I did my Verslavy, no problem.

And ya, the clip just holds the butt end on the shaft. As long as the clip "snaps" on, there should be no problem. It doesn't have to be exactly, perfectly tight. If it can't vibrate off, it ain't goin' nowhere.

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/02/11 at 16:25:26

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with answers/suggestions.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 13:37:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › in the middle of the Verslavy install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.