Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Location of CA Smog/Evap charcoal canister '09 S40 (Read 81 times)
triplec110h
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Location of CA Smog/Evap charcoal canister '09 S40
10/21/11 at 14:22:31

Hi all, I've been having problems with my 2009 S40 lately. The engine dies seemingly from just idling, or I might get it going for a mile but then it always dies out. I've done a lot of research online including on this forum and I believe I'm having the dreaded CA evap canister problem.

I'd like to disconnect the canister but since I'm new to bikes, I'm not sure where it's even located on my bike. I've searched everywhere for some help but cant seem to find a proper diagram. Is it under the seat? I know there are 2 lines that connect but I'm not sure which ones. I took some things apart last night but decided not to tinker more until I got more information.

Advance thanks for any assistance! Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Location of CA Smog/Evap charcoal canister '09
Reply #1 - 10/21/11 at 14:29:33

no such thing as a carby cannister problem.
You may have a vac leak.
but more probable your idle is set too low
or you're having petcock problems

It's not a good idea to have your idle too low.  Check the tech section for an audio app that'll do as a tach.

next, put your petcock to prime to see if you have a vac leak shutting off your gas.

WWW   IP Logged
triplec110h
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 15:11:03

Sounds good, I will check all of that tonight.

At first, the problem was fixed turning the petcock to Reserve. But yesterday, I was having the same problem no matter what setting prime/on/reserve. So petcock issue does seem possible like you said.

Any idea where the smog emission canister is located just to satisfy my curiousity?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 10/21/11 at 15:44:54

It's only on California bikes and IIRC it's mounted on the flat tray down under the battery (right where it would make sense to use a jack)

I don't have one, so this is just what I've gathered from this site.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
triplec110h
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/21/11 at 18:09:59

Thank you sir. I just ordered the Raptor petcock today anyway since it's only about $21 and seems like a nice upgrade even if my petcock isn't malfunctioning. I had no idea those could be so inexpensive.

I'll provide an update after doing some more work.  Wink

IP Logged
triplec110h
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/03/11 at 00:21:20

Ok update. I replaced the stock petcock with the Raptor tonight and it seems to have fixed everything. The idle is much better now, and I rode her around for about 20 minutes without any issues whatsoever.

What method/part do you guys recommend for plugging the vaccuum line? I put a screw in the hose temporarily but it seems like it'd be better to get rid of the hose and just plug the line directly on the carb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Location of CA Smog/Evap charcoal canister '09 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.