Send Topic Print
mileage tracker (Read 211 times)
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

mileage tracker
10/21/11 at 11:52:07

I thought I had a way figured out to keep track of mileage from one gas stop to the next but what I was using has made some marks on the tank and I need a new method.  Any suggestions?  I have been looking for bibs with pockets that will fit the Savage but haven't found any.  Is there something available, I love this bike but miss being able to keep track of mileage on a trip odometer.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: mileage tracker
Reply #1 - 10/21/11 at 11:54:45

I always have my cell phone with me, so I use the Notes feature and track my miles that way. I usally try to gas up close to the even 100 mark on the speedo so that I don't have to check my phone before every ride though.

Others have used everything from a grease pencil on the tank to a small 3 digit luggage type lock strapped to the mirror.

Good luck.  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 11:57:41

I've used my phone too, but I found the easiest was something I could see while riding.  Some here use a cheapo 3-digit or 4-digit lock, so I thought I'd try that and its worked great.  Stuck some double-sided sticky velcro to the lock, and to my triple tree.  Voila!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/21/11 at 13:33:56

I like the idea of something I can see  that I can mount on the tank.Thanks

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 10/21/11 at 13:34:53

I bought a china marker at an art supply store. A china marker is a kind of grease pencil for writing on china, or glass. When I fill up I add 100 miles to the odometer number and write it on the mirror with the marker. When I get close to the number on the mirror I know it's time to get gas. A china marker does not come off in the rain, only if you wipe it off with water.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/21/11 at 14:26:26

This is the best yet, I'm going to get one of these things!  Why didn't I think of that  LOL

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #6 - 10/21/11 at 15:01:47

I love the little lock idea, brilliant.  

I use the All State motorcycle app on my phone.  It has a maintnenance log and I log all my fill ups in there with the mileage and the mpg.  It's a pretty cool app.  It will use gps and track/mpa your rides for  you too.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #7 - 10/21/11 at 16:24:51

I've been using a combination lock carabiner hung from the right-side mirror post. It works, but I think I like Arteacher's idea better.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/21/11 at 18:51:23

Besides a total, I wanted a trip meter to keep track of individual trips too, so I added a $10 bicycle speedo,.....but that was before I added the Garmin !
The bike speedo works great, but the MFG (Bell) screwed up,.....because I can out accellerate it,....take a couple seconds for its speed to catch up w/ me !
I calibrated it by measuring the exact circumference of the front tire, and surprisingly, it is very accurate.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #9 - 10/22/11 at 07:14:58

I installed one of those bike computers a few months ago but the piece on the rim does not get close enough to the reader mounted on the fork for it to work.  How did you solve that? It has just been ann annoying clock that turns off every 5 minutes from lack of use, lol.

Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/22/11 at 12:22:16

use a couple of rare earth magnets on the rim.  (stacked on top of each other).  Just let them stick to the rim magnetically.. no glue or sticky stuff needed.  They will stay put.
My pickup (reader) is mounted up under the fender by the fork on the right side.  Others have different placement.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #11 - 10/22/11 at 12:32:15

youzguyz wrote on 10/22/11 at 12:22:16:
use a couple of rare earth magnets on the rim.  (stacked on top of each other).  Just let them stick to the rim magnetically.. no glue or sticky stuff needed.  They will stay put.
My pickup (reader) is mounted up under the fender by the fork on the right side.  Others have different placement.

Allright, I can picture that, thanks!

::Edit:: Looks like I can pick some of those magnets up at Radioshack.  I'll stop by there this wekend!

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 10/24/11 at 07:16:11

Solid state bicycle speedometers are cheap and can show miles traveled.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #13 - 10/24/11 at 09:40:44

If your kids are mostly grown, you probably have a few of these laying around.  I use a green or white one and it seems to stay on in the rain and wipes off with a paper towel.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 10/24/11 at 16:33:53

MrBrownTX wrote on 10/22/11 at 07:14:58:
I installed one of those bike computers a few months ago but the piece on the rim does not get close enough to the reader mounted on the fork for it to work.  How did you solve that? It has just been ann annoying clock that turns off every 5 minutes from lack of use, lol.

A custom mount off the fender mount

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mileage tracker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.