Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AT thru hike (Read 269 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
AT thru hike
10/10/11 at 12:59:43

So recently I have gone through some drastic life changes which have caused me to re-evaluate my goals in life. It took me about a month but I now realize that thru hiking the Appalachian Trail is something I must do in life. My best friend and I are starting in March/April of 2013. I have already started a savings account for the trek and already have all my gear except a new ultralight tent. Any others out there that have taken this major hike on successfully, or unsuccessfully? I need all the advice and help I can get.

Side note the shortest time for completion of the trail is 46d11h10m
longest time for completion is 329 days. I plan to finish in around 200 days

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: AT thru hike
Reply #1 - 10/10/11 at 13:06:02

I'm pretty sure I could break that longest time to complete record by about 4 years... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/10/11 at 13:24:35

Wow, quite an undertaking.  Since you don't already have the tent, I would suggest you wait until closer to time to go.  They make vast improvements every year.  We got a nice Eureka tent a year or so ago, folds up really small, so we could carry it on the bike, but it would be great for back-packing too.... but I'm sure you already know about tents, duh.  lol  

Best of luck.  Take pics to share with us please.   Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 10/11/11 at 04:43:25

Thats quite a hike. I've thought about doing it for years but can't really think about doing something like that until I retire. I've read alot of books about it. My favorite was "Walkin' on the happy side of misery" by Model T. Really informative, interesting, and funny. There's alot of info out there in books and internet. I think it's alot easier now than it was even 10 years ago with cell phones, debit cards, and other new technology. Good luck and keep us posted about your planning and prep.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 10/11/11 at 12:09:10

I like to have my gear at least one season ahead of time so that I can get familiar with it and learn how to use it blindfolded. Too many nights of pitching tents in complete darkness i guess. I have about four tents as it  stands right now but none are in the ultralight category.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 10/11/11 at 12:10:11

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 10/11/11 at 04:43:25:
Thats quite a hike. I've thought about doing it for years but can't really think about doing something like that until I retire. I've read alot of books about it. My favorite was "Walkin' on the happy side of misery" by Model T. Really informative, interesting, and funny. There's alot of info out there in books and internet. I think it's alot easier now than it was even 10 years ago with cell phones, debit cards, and other new technology. Good luck and keep us posted about your planning and prep.

AL

Have not heard of that particular book, but I will look into it. One of my personal fav's is "a walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #6 - 10/11/11 at 14:27:34

I bought a bunch of back packing gear about 2 years ago and have been only a couple of times.  I am pretty lazy so I don't go too often but I really do enjoy the experience minus the heavy bag of crap you have to carry.  

To save weight I take a cheap nylon net camping hammock from walmart ($8) and a cheap blue tarp ($8) to hang over it.  To me the hammock is way comfier than the ground.  The tarp keeps you dry.  Together they weigh half what most cheap backpacking tents weigh.  For $16 its a heck of a set up.  In the winter I take one of those cheap blue sleeping pads from walmart and put it in the hammock to keep the wind off my back side and insulate a little.

I love it.  If you know there will be trees around I say it's the way to go.  You don't have to worry about finding level ground or dry ground.  If it rains the water flows right under you and you stay dry.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #7 - 10/11/11 at 14:32:31

Also for an ultra light stove I have a small tuna can with some vent holes punched around it.  Down in that I burn a solid fuel esbit cube.  Put my canteen cup on top of the can and viola!  That fuel takes a while (15 mins) to boil water but it weighs nothing compared to a propane/butane cannister and a metal stove.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 10/11/11 at 15:53:57

You should be the first man of the 1900s to hike it without a tent.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 10/11/11 at 16:50:58

I have gone on hikes and used Mr browns hammock and tarp system too. I always used a thin pad in the hammock so the skeeters wouldn't bite my a$$. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 10/11/11 at 17:15:30

The problem is that there wont always be trees. Some spots are open and some are rocky and you never know where you are going to have to stop and make camp.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/11/11 at 17:40:03

Piffle & Poppycock,,, Id be done in a day,, well,, most likely an hour,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 10/11/11 at 18:03:46

Sounds awesome, go for it.  Get ya one of those SPOTs
http://www.findmespot.com/en/  REI has them.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/12/11 at 05:25:59

I once watched a special on Discovery channel, I believe, about hiking the Appalachian trail. A group of 10 set out....only 3 or 4 finished. Most of them didn't look too happy at each campsite, but all said they were glad to have done it. I used to do a bit of hiking, but nothing of this magnitude. Best of luck to you, and by all means, lots of pictures.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #14 - 10/12/11 at 06:43:12

splash07 wrote on 10/11/11 at 12:09:10:
Too many nights of pitching tents in complete darkness i guess.

Bow chika bow wow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › AT thru hike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.