Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Back end feels loose at high speeds (Read 555 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Re: Back end feels loose at high speeds
Reply #15 - 10/07/11 at 15:56:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/07/11 at 10:47:47:
True, Rowboat,, I Like the fact that this bike starts wallowing around at 55 mph in a long sweeper,, keeps me from running in any faster. If I had a bike that handled too well,, Id likely get into a turn too fast for my skill level. This one keeps me scootin at lower speeds, cuz it starts feeling spooky at too high speeds.

I completely agree with that.  I love riding this bike between 50 - 55 it feels perfect.  When I start to get faster than that it feels a lot more intense than going fast all the time on my old ninja felt.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 10/08/11 at 12:41:40

drums1 wrote on 10/07/11 at 14:53:10:
The tire manufacturers recommended tire pressure shoud be stamped in the side of tire.
The motorcycle manufacturers recommended tire pressure is printed in the manual.
It's best to go by the motorcycle manufacturers recommendation....

I agree.  This was where I was going with the question.  

I'd go further, though, to say the number stamped on the tire has very little to do with the pressure to be used in the tire.  That stamped number is just something the nanny state makes the manufacturer put on there.  It is nothing more than an arbitrary pressure that will support an arbitrary load as required by some bureaucrat.

Use the number the vehicle manufacturer recommends as a starting point, and then fine tune as necessary.  Just ignore the stamped number.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/08/11 at 21:25:52

Well actually, the number stamped in the side of the tire is what the tire manufacturer says is the maximum pressure you can run that tire at.

Vehicle manufacturers contract with the tire company for a specific tire, for a specific size, load and tread design. The tire manufacturer then builds a tire to meet their specific needs, although that tire may also be used on a number of other vehicles.

In other words, you can run a 205/70R/15 on a Chrysler Cirrus, or on a full size Chevy Caprice. You would run the Caprice at 36-38 psi. On the Cirrus, you would run it at 32 psi. But if "Max Pressure 40 psi" is stamped on it, don't put it on your Ram 1500.  

Still, it's best to inflate to the vehicle manufacturers specs. They design their vehicles to perform and handle the best, at their specified pressure. They don't care how long the tire lasts, as long as it performs.

It has nothing to do with politics. (Yes, I worked at Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company for 13 years.)

Roll Eyes    

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/08/11 at 23:02:34

A number of tire company's post fitment and tire pressure.

I would tend to use those when available.

WWW   IP Logged
Johansson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/09/11 at 05:48:20

I have the same problem. I have ridden bikes for about 35 years. On previous bikes that became squirrelly, unstable at speed there are a few things that usually cause this.
Old fork oil is on the top of the list.
Dunlop 404 tires cause this.
Cheap tires.
Loose, tight or ungreased steering tube bearings.
Steering tube bearing has a worn spot, click in it when turning.

When I purchased my Savage with 13,000 miles on it was very unstable at 55 mph.
I put Metzler 880's on it, changed the fork oil, loosened the steering tube bearing as it was tight. Very much improved.

Noticed my handlebars were not aligned with my Forks. The triple tree was twisted. Loosened everything and got that straightened out, follow the manual to do this.  Still had a little unstability at speed.

One seat bolt was missing, replaced that bolt, ,,,,slap my forehead

I think I have narrowed down the remaining stability issue to the rear shocks. Engine vibration at 70 mph on the Savage is also above my comfort level for extended travel.

The savage is not a high speed bike, compared to other bikes I own. My 82 virago 920 and my 82 harley fxr will cruise one handed at 100 mph. My 2007 shadow spirit 1100 will cruise at only 75 mph with 2 hands required. I would say that I am pretty comfortable on my Savage one handed at 65 mph, hold on tight for any thing faster than that.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 10/09/11 at 06:23:50

drums1 wrote on 10/08/11 at 21:25:52:
Well actually, the number stamped in the side of the tire is what the tire manufacturer says is the maximum pressure you can run that tire at.

Vehicle manufacturers contract with the tire company for a specific tire, for a specific size, load and tread design. The tire manufacturer then builds a tire to meet their specific needs, although that tire may also be used on a number of other vehicles.

In other words, you can run a 205/70R/15 on a Chrysler Cirrus, or on a full size Chevy Caprice. You would run the Caprice at 36-38 psi. On the Cirrus, you would run it at 32 psi. But if "Max Pressure 40 psi" is stamped on it, don't put it on your Ram 1500.  

Still, it's best to inflate to the vehicle manufacturers specs. They design their vehicles to perform and handle the best, at their specified pressure. They don't care how long the tire lasts, as long as it performs.

It has nothing to do with politics. (Yes, I worked at Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company for 13 years.)

Roll Eyes    

So we agree,.... Use the vehicle manufacturer's specs, at least as a starting point.

I didn't say politics was involved.  All I said was the manufacturer has to put some number like that on the side of the tire, because some law somewhere, monitored/enforced by some bureacrat, says so.

That number has little relevance to proper use of the tire.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #21 - 10/09/11 at 18:26:14

So, in other words, you're saying it IS politics. Or is a bureacrat not a politician? And what law are you talking about, that says they have to put that number there? Or are you just assuming, and spewing your uneducated opinion, yet again?

That number is there for a reason. (As I previously stated) They are not forced to put it there.

Another reason it is there is so that some dumba$$, with or without an air gauge, doesn't blow the tire up by grossly overinflating it. Ya, it would take quite a bit more than the stamped on pressure to cause a tire to blow, but after 23 years in the business, I have seen some idiots give it a hell of a try. Like a 155/80R/13 tire aired up to 98 psi.

"That number has little relevance to proper use of the tire"? So, if "Max Pressure 40 psi" is stamped on the tire, it's ok to inflate it to 20 psi, or 80 psi? WRONG!

The relevance is simply this:
Rule of thumb. On a compact car, the pressure can be as low as 28 psi, or as high as the max pressure, when loaded. On a midsize car, the pressure can be as low as 32 psi, or as high as the max pressure, when loaded. On a full size car, the pressure can be as low as 36 psi, or as high as the max pressure, when loaded. Any deviation from these recommended pressures CAN cause a blowout and/or loss of performance and tire life. Period.

Got any 3's? Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/10/11 at 05:39:59 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 10/09/11 at 18:37:07

One time my ex girl friend came home and wanted be to check the air in one of her tires on her car,She said she put air at a gas station til she got tried so her daughter put some more in it and it still look low to her.I check it and it had 90# in it. women Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 10/09/11 at 19:07:24

lucky no one got hurt,,, dang,, I hope you gave them a tire gauge & some lessons,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #24 - 10/09/11 at 19:50:49

Radial tires will do that. Even when overinflated, they can look like they're low. I think every new car and every aftermarket tire sold should come with an air gauge and instructions on how to use it. (For those who think they know everything about everything)

Johansson...I agree with your opinion of the Dunlop 404's. I have a new set on mine and they are a bit squirrely on curvey highways. Especially the rear. Not that cheap in price, though. $89 for the front and $108 for the rear, plus mounting.

« Last Edit: 10/10/11 at 05:22:41 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #25 - 10/09/11 at 19:57:03

verslagen1 wrote on 10/07/11 at 08:15:03:
Lift the rear off the ground and check for "looseness"
When you find it... take a pair of pliers and pull it out... throw it away   Grin

What if it's hung?

IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/10/11 at 07:53:26

Well, my friend didn't take it out this weekend due to weather.  Wind strong enough to make it difficult to keep a car on the road much less a bike.  

I'll take your advice on dropping the tire pressure a bit.  The bike was definitely more squirrely at 25# than it is at 40#.  Maybe 40# is too much. I'll go with Suzuki's recommended pressure and see how that does.  

Have to wait until the weather clears up tho.  Took the bike to the gas station (1/2 mile @ 35mph) and the wind gusts were insane.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 10/10/11 at 09:34:32

drums1 wrote on 10/09/11 at 18:26:14:
So, in other words, you're saying it IS politics. Or is a bureacrat not a politician? ......

This kind of "logic" is amusing.  
                                                                  Roll Eyes Tongue Roll Eyes

Saying a bureaucrat is a politician is like saying a garbage man is voting technician because he unloaded the voting machines for his union's last election.

Your whiny protestations notwithstanding, the number molded on the side of the tire is at best meaningless, and at worst can lead people into using that pressure for something when they have no clue about its reason for being.

« Last Edit: 10/10/11 at 12:49:40 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/10/11 at 10:09:11

I give up. Debating with you is like debating with a brick wall. (A real thick one) You so easily dismiss FACTS, when they don't agree with your OPINION. I worked for a tire company for 13 years, and in the auto repair business for a total of 23 years. I think I might know a little bit about tires. Obviously, you don't.

I'll give you ONE brownie point, though.
Bureaucrat:
1. An official of a bureaucracy.
2. An official who works by a fixed routine without exercising intelligent judgement.

Therefore, you must be a bureaucrat.

Be my guest and inflate your tires to whatever pressure you like. Overinflate them and blow them up.
Care not, I. (Yoda)

Grin Smiley

P.S. What is prostestation? That word does not appear in the dictionary. (No wonder I didn't know what it meant)
Please continue to amuse me with your inane diatribe.

Shocked Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 10/10/11 at 12:07:35 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 10/10/11 at 13:03:34

drums1 wrote on 10/10/11 at 10:09:11:
I give up. Debating with you is like debating with a brick wall. (A real thick one) You so easily dismiss FACTS, when they don't agree with your OPINION. I worked for a tire company for 13 years, and in the auto repair business for a total of 23 years. I think I might know a little bit about tires. Obviously, you don't.

I'll give you ONE brownie point, though.
Bureaucrat:
1. An official of a bureaucracy.
2. An official who works by a fixed routine without exercising intelligent judgement.

Therefore, you must be a bureaucrat.

Be my guest and inflate your tires to whatever pressure you like. Overinflate them and blow them up.
Care not, I. (Yoda)

Grin Smiley

P.S. What is prostestation? That word does not appear in the dictionary. (No wonder I didn't know what it meant)
Please continue to amuse me with your inane diatribe.

Shocked Roll Eyes

My my my,.. we do get our panties in a wad easily, don't we??   Roll Eyes

I've always taken it as a form of unintended congratulations when a fellow discusser slings insults instead of discussion.  Thanks.   Grin

Your emotional distress over the meaninglessness of the pressure printed on the tire is wasted.  Life is good.  Spend your energy on subjects of more import.   Wink

BTW, here is a copy/paste of protestation: protˇesˇtaˇtion (prt-stshn, prt-, -t-)  n.  1. An emphatic declaration

To decrease your ineffectiveness in these discussions, you might want to look up "ad hominem."  It deals with shooting yourself in the foot.

To sum up, and to maintain some relevance to the thread, let me restate our point of agreement.  The vehicle operator should use the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire pressure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:38:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back end feels loose at high speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.