Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
fork lowering damper rod spacers. (Read 268 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: fork lowering damper rod spacers.
Reply #15 - 11/06/11 at 20:24:15

OK, let me see if I have this right...
The preload spacers at the top of the forks will not affect the fork travel at all...
SO, when the ChopCult guys lowered their forks by 3.5", they significantly reduced the travel, but since they compensated by cutting the same amount off of the pre-load spacer, they still have the same preload as the stock bike...
IN THE RYCA VIDEO.... They are adding a 2" spacer at the bottom to shorten the fork and reduce travel, but it appears that they are replacing the stock preload spacer without cutting it at all; effectively adding 2" of extra pre-load? That seems pretty strange to me, but it sure would stifffen up the front end, and it explains why they are pushing down so hard to get the fork caps into place.
Have I got this right? Can the stock forks really accept an extra 2" of pre-load?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #16 - 11/06/11 at 20:31:19

You have it right. Like I wrote before, by the standards of non-cruiser riders, the stock springs are too soft, so not shortening the preload spacers helps stiffen things up a bit. Heck, they could probably accept another four to six inches of preload. The soft springs are also why Ryca offers beefier, upgraded springs.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 11/07/11 at 08:06:03

Thanks Motobuddha!
Can you or any of you other Ryca guys out there give me a sense of how different the forks are between (1) Stock, (2) Lowered 2" with the stock springs, and (3) lowered 2" and upgraded to the Progressive springs.
I know all of that is totally subjective, and kind of impossible for me to judge, especially since I have never ridden the bike in sock form at all, but I'd like to see more riding impressions on these Ryca bikes. The one I am building will look different, but should be set up to ride and handle about the same...
Many thanks for all of your help, and my apologies to Danman; I hadn't meant to hijack your thread, but I hope the conversation is helpfull...
Cheers!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:48:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fork lowering damper rod spacers.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.