Send Topic Print
cant figure it out!?! (Read 149 times)
tattoo27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cant figure it out!?!
09/29/11 at 18:11:47

Hey y'all new here. Need some help. I have a 98 savage that's being retarted. It cranks and fires hard a few times than sputers out. A lot of black smoke is blown out from tail pipe. I've got fire and fule to the carb vacume at the petcock and a new plug. Nice strong blue spark at plug as well. Can't keep it runnin more than a few seconds tho. If I put my hand over tailpie when it fires I get black soot all over it. After a few detonations I can pull plug and its black. Its been sitting about three weeks while I was out of town. I'm at a complete loss any help would be greatly apreciated.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: cant figure it out!?!
Reply #1 - 09/29/11 at 18:40:26

Well,... it sounds like you're very rich....
Did a critter move in to your air box?...

...  if not,.. it may be carb time... (stuck slide, or float)...

Try tapping the float bowl with a tool handle...
Make sure your battery is full charge...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
tattoo27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/29/11 at 18:46:50

Nothing in the air box. Don't have one. Got a screen and filter cloth over intake pipe. Bikes bobbed.  Ill try taping the carb in tomorow. Hope I don't need to do a carb rebuild Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/29/11 at 19:28:55

did you rejet after pulling the airbox?

how long ago?

WWW   IP Logged
tattoo27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/29/11 at 19:33:21

No. And quite honestly I don't know how. What's the reason do do this and is there literature availible on how to. Excuse my ignorance but I work on cars for a living and they have used carbs since I was 3.  Learning bikes fast tho Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/29/11 at 19:38:40

Id unhook the rubber going to the carb, Id KNOW it was getting air w/o restriction.

Id run something up the exhaust & KNOW it wasnt plugged by anything..

Id do the exhaust thing first & try it again.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 09/29/11 at 20:57:57

Was it running alright before??   As you know, if you reduce the resistence to the exhaust flow, then you must reduce the amout of fuel used or it will run rich...............If it was running alright before, then the PO may have made such an adjustments...and in which case case something has changed and a stuck float is a likely place to start.

tap tap tapping....

IP Logged
tattoo27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/30/11 at 06:07:19

It did it once before but in hinesight it could be the floats on acount of I was thinking bad gas and drained the bowl wich could have loosened the floats worked for a while now back to crap

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/30/11 at 06:34:34

Sea Foam will loosen the float and lube and clean the inside of the carb,I would put some in the engine oil too so everything is working right.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #9 - 09/30/11 at 11:14:23

sea foam, while a popular product and good at easing the mind, is not a cure-all and won't magically take a gunked up carb from trash to pristine on it's own -- especially without running through the carb with the engine running.

Read up on carb work around the forum (it really is not difficult, i assure you),  get a nice clean workspace, a few hours, and a can of cleaner (it can even be sea foam if you so desire) and clean that sucker good. Drop the bowl, clean it. Take out the jets, make sure they are clean too. Check the float and float valve for proper function. If you realize the float was stuck open, just to help me sleep at night check the oil and see if it smells like gas. It is (very) rare on these bikes to have a bad float turn into a gas-oil problem where gas leaks into the crankcase, but it can happen. Check the rubber diaphragm in the top of the carb for tears too. Might as well check the overall health of the carb if you've got it there. I'd mention going over the choke too, but I'm not sure if there is much you can do other than check that it moves in and out. Make sure the slide moves up and down freely (don't forget to re-clean it after this. even fingerprints matter in cleanliness!).

Then, while you've got everything open, clean, and accessible, look over carb tuning tips (can be found in the tech section of the forum) and see what jets you have in the carb vs. what you should have (with a modified intake/exhaust). Might want to write down what jets you have just in case you have a leaky memory (like me).

carb "rebuilds" are rare. carb *cleanings* are common and are a easy/cheap way of keeping things in good shape.

If you get stuck, just come back. We'll get you set right.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/30/11 at 11:21:37

Why would you not run the engine when you had Sea Foam in it. Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #11 - 09/30/11 at 11:51:38

bill67 wrote on 09/30/11 at 11:21:37:
Why would you not run the engine when you had Sea Foam in it. Shocked

meant it as in sea foam won't clean the carb as well with the engine not running (as is the case here) as it would over time with the engine running.

You need to have sea foam and gasoline going through the carb to clean it, which is facilitated by having a running engine.

alternatively, i'm surprised you didn't claim sea foam had mystical powers of keeping gas tanks rust free and gas fresh over long periods of bikes sitting unused over time.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
tattoo27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/30/11 at 15:18:22

Got carb on my bench right now floats and float valves are good to trash in bowl.  Some ones been in this carb befor judging by the striped screws on the top diaphram cover. Haven't seen any thing off kilter in it yet Sad

IP Logged
tattoo27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/30/11 at 15:33:20

What's the purpose of the diaphram and plunger? What indicates proper function?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cant figure it out!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.