Shopping for Bars (Read 197 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Shopping for Bars
09/29/11 at 12:27:25

I sit on my bike and close my eyes...put my hands out in front of me where I think the bars would feel best and realize that I should get a new set of bars. Basically my 05 has stock pullback risers and drag bars, but I feel that I need something that would put the grips in almost the exact same spot they are now, but about 2" higher.

Been shopping around (mostly ebay) and know that on the older Savages with buckhorns you can get away with stock cables/hoses, but not sure how far I can go with my particular setup.

What I'm thinking I want to do is get a set of 8"-10" mini-apes or z-bars and pull my risers apart and mount them down right next to the triple tree like the older Savages.

According to many of my searches on our forum, I think I'm going to be OK with the stock cables, but need some help with some of the other details before I order a set.

1" Diameter
Dimpled or Non-Dimpled? (If dimpled will they still work?)
Knurled or Non-Knurled?
Amount of Pull-Back?
Width?
Rise?

One pair I am looking at is Mini-Apes (Non-Dimpled)(Knurled)(10" Pullback)(32.5" Wide)(8"Rise)
Another pair is Mini-Apes (Non-Dimpled)(Non-Knurled)(7" Pullback)(32.5" Wide)(10"Rise)
Last pair is Z-Bars (Dimpled)(Non-Knurled)(4"Pullback)(28.5"Wide)(10"Rise)

Thanks in advance, especially if anyone else has done this and has some additional advice.  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Shopping for Bars
Reply #1 - 09/29/11 at 12:52:27

For me pullback is a big issue.
If drag bars are comfortable to you then get the same pullback.
don't need dimples, those are for HD's so they can route their cables external (their controls can be used for internal wiring if you get undimpled bars and drill them for the wiring to run thru)
don't really need knurling, except for tall ape hangers.

Z bars have the same pullback as drag bars.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 09/29/11 at 13:13:52

Here's the pics of the 3 bars mentioned.

1 (This is actually the 15" rise, because they don't have a pic of the 8" Rise bar)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 09/29/11 at 13:19:49

Think I read a suggestion somewhere to take some wire (like coat hanger wire or something firm, but bendable) and bend it to what you think you would like, adjust and play with it till you get it to where you think its comfortable, then take measurements, then go find ones that match your measurements!  Easy as pie.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 09/29/11 at 13:20:11

verslagen1 wrote on 09/29/11 at 12:52:27:
don't need dimples, those are for HD's so they can route their cables external (their controls can be used for internal wiring if you get undimpled bars and drill them for the wiring to run thru)
don't really need knurling, except for tall ape hangers.

I agree comfort is KING so I've got to find something that will FEEL good  Cheesy

I think these would mimic the stock drag bar angles pretty well and might sit a bit taller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-1-Z-BAR-HANDLEBARS-8-Rise-FL-F...

Rise To Grip Tip: 8"
Rise To Center: 7"
Pull Back: 4"
Width Tip To Tip: 29"
Bar Diameter: 1"
Knurl: 2"
Center Width: 7"

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/29/11 at 14:29:50

If I didn't likem low... I'd steal'm from ya.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 09/29/11 at 15:12:05

With the stock drag bars I was leaning back a bit too far. I bought a Flanders broomstick,which had me leaning a bit too far forward. Then I bought Rox adjustable risers, and now I am just right.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 09/29/11 at 15:29:38

And arteacher changes his screen name to Goldilocks+3handlebars.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #8 - 09/29/11 at 20:05:27

Like those Z-bars...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 09/30/11 at 13:20:33

verslagen1 wrote on 09/29/11 at 12:52:27:
don't need dimples, those are for HD's so they can route their cables external (their controls can be used for internal wiring if you get undimpled bars and drill them for the wiring to run thru)don't really need knurling, except for tall ape hangers.

Dimples - My understanding is, our stock bars don't have them and we don't need them, but if we buy bars with them they will still work. Are I correct?  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/30/11 at 13:46:35

EJID wrote on 09/30/11 at 13:20:33:
Dimples - My understanding is, our stock bars don't have them and we don't need them, but if we buy bars with them they will still work. Are I correct?  Undecided

What are dimples?

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 09/30/11 at 13:51:27

Dimples are the holes for the switch modules. I think the only reason they are there is so that the switch modules can be located quickly on the assembly line?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 09/30/11 at 14:32:58

This set of bars are both Knurled and Dimpled - The Dimples are the indentations on the underside by where the controls are. I know post 1982 HD controls use dimpled bars, but need to know if using dimpled bars with our controls is an issue.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #13 - 09/30/11 at 18:42:57

My vote is the Zbars!
Biltwell Friscos are similar and awesome too just a little less rise.
http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=44
Those are what I plan to get.  On top of my stock 6" risers they'll be 13" up and should be right out off my shoulders.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #14 - 10/01/11 at 23:36:17

I just took my stock buckhorn bars off tonight (2002 savage), and the bars are dimpled and the controls have pegs that fit into them. So i'd either have to drill holes in non-dimpled bars or cut off the little pegs for the controls to work.

As a side note, i took them off to try and fit a 30" piece of iron pipe, but it was a 30 thousandths too wide. I figured paying $5 for it at lowe's was worth the risk. I'll be back there tomorrow to see if i can't find anything else with an outer diameter closer to 1". I just can't justify paying $50 or so for a straight piece of metal tubing (since I'm going broomsticks).

Also, those f***ing plastic caps on the allen bolts suck. Busted on off such that the peg part of it was still stuck in the bolt. I learned I had a much larger vocabulary than I previously thought....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:27:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shopping for Bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.