Send Topic Print
Pan Am - the TV show (Read 249 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Pan Am - the TV show
Reply #15 - 09/27/11 at 13:51:33

Job names have changed over the years,Like from a grease monkey to an auto technician.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/27/11 at 14:02:01

Yea, Bill,, that explains the change from the human element of the name personnel to Human REsources,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 09/28/11 at 00:45:04

I worked for United Airlines for 20 years. I was pretty lucky!  My job required me to work with the flight attendants everyday and I found them to be the most down to earth of all the airline personnel. They are not much like they are portrayed on TV and movies. Most were always tired from working long hours,and when not flying, all they wanted to do was sleep. They can make good money working for a major airlines. Those with seniority at United made like $40 to $50,000 a year. Not bad for a server!

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #18 - 09/28/11 at 04:33:50

Ever seen the movie "Catch Me If You Can"? That movie makes me miss the decades before i was born...

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #19 - 09/28/11 at 09:56:28

I dvr'd it but haven't had time to watch it yet.  I look forward to it though.  Thanks for the discussion on it sounds good.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #20 - 10/03/11 at 13:24:47

This to Lifter -

I agree with all you said, especially the last paragraph.  But as moderately  social liberal, and a fiscal conservative, I have to point out that in those grand old days, air travel was very expensive.  One of the reasons you saw everyone dressed nicely on airliners of the 1960s was that the class of people who could afford airline travel were generally dressed up anyhow.

When Reagan ( I know, your favorite pres. ) pushed thru the deregulation of the airlines in 1986, the old Civil Aeronautics Board went away, and with it went the regulated, higher fares that guaranteed every airline a profit.  Hence, competition began setting fares.

I remember when Southwest and Peoples Express came on line, and undercut all of the major airlines.

We all know you can't buy a BMW for the price of a Honda, hence, the majors had to downscale service, meals, etc. to compete with the discount carriers.  So, today we've got an airline system like you described.

But also, we've got a system that allows grandma to afford to fly across the continent to see her kids and grandkids at Thanksgiving, and allows young families to afford to take themselves and their kids to Disneyworld.

Everything is a compromise.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:21:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pan Am - the TV show

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!