Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How thick is the stock spacer (Read 150 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How thick is the stock spacer
09/25/11 at 17:46:15

Hello:

How thick is the stock white spacer in the carburetor slide for the needle.  I know I have seen the dimension in this forum somewhere but I can't find it now and have forgotten the original thickness.  Thanks for your help.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: How thick is the stock spacer
Reply #1 - 09/25/11 at 18:12:04

Serowbot wrote on 06/28/11 at 10:28:37:
Lesson 3... Jetting a Savage... (blah, blah, blah,... it's about dang time!...)... Huh...

Now,.. for some specifics on the Savage and it's carb...

The Savage uses a round slide Mikuni BS40 carburetor...
Mikuni is a very popular carb, and jets are widely available at most bike shops and sites...  
The BS40 used a large round Mikuni main jet,... and that's what you ask for at the shop...
The pilot is trickier,... best to take it in and have it matched, or find a link to the correct one on this site...

Mikuni jets are numbered in increments of 2 1/2... (ie,... 145, 147.5, 150, 152.5, 155, etc...) These are refered to as steps...
One step, is 145 to 147.5,... two steps would be 145 to 150... and so on...
Each step up, richens the fuel ratio...

The stock bike, in it's current US model configuration, has a #145 main jet, and a #52.5 pilot, with a 0.1" thick nylon spacer under the slide needle...
As it is... the stock bike is jetted slightly lean (smallish jets) for sea level, where it is emission tested for importation...
The stock jetting is pretty good for elevations in the 2500ft to 5000ft range...  
On average, one step smaller in jet size every 3000ft elevation... That's a very variable rule... Temps and humidity make a difference too...
One step larger from stock for sea level, maybe two if it's a very humid location...

Here's a chart of the jetting that comes from the factory,... 95' to present 2011 is the same...
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/CarbSpecs.jpg

As a basic starting point for mods...
The most common mod to better breathing on the Savage, is to swap to a free flowing air filter (foam or k/n fabric), and install a Harley Shorty muffler...
With this mod, you are allowing the engine to breath in and out a little better, ... and it will in turn, want a corresponding increase in fuel delivery to match the extra air...
If your bike was jetted fairly well in stock configuration for your location,... adding these two mods will want about a two step increase in the overall jetting...
From stock,.. say, from a #145 to a #150 main,... from a #52.5 to a #55 pilot with a little more opening on the idle mix screw (1/2 to 1 turn more)... and a reduced spacer thickness on the needle slide from 0.1" to .066" or 0.50"... (you can sand the stock one down, or buy #4 nylon or brass washers to vary the thickness)...

Note#...#4 Teflon washer from Ace hardware is exactly 2/3 thickness of the stock spacer and will fit perfect.  It comes in white or black.  It is just what you want.  One and only one.  It will measure .066",... stock is .1"... that''s the standard starting point for a Harley muffler w/ free flow air filter....

An even more open pipe, or a cam with more lift, or other more extreme mods,... will require more jetting.

The basic tuning range will go from...
#125 to #160 with the main...
#47.5  to #60 with the pilot...
... and from 0.1" to no spacer at all on the needle jet...

Info on choosing a Harley muffler is available here...
Harley muffler guide...

I hope this info somehow clears things up, more so, than adding to the confusion..
It's not a cut and dry process...  and many experts will disagree with each other...  
... and I'm not an expert... but I have some experience...

So,.. now you know what I know... Huh...

WWW   IP Logged
Jockesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/26/11 at 01:00:14

Finaly a good explanation of the subject.
Only thing missing now is a good, (complete in one thread) guid for how the tank+carb+engine works together in the savage.
With proper explanations of what each part does. And pictures of it all.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/26/11 at 04:22:10

Jockesavage wrote on 09/26/11 at 01:00:14:
Only thing missing now is a good, (complete in one thread) guid for how the tank+carb+engine works together in the savage.

Huh ?
Are you sure you shouldn't get a little more specific w/ your question ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/26/11 at 07:55:50

The tank holds the gas.  Gravity pushes gas into the carb.  The carb then makes a fuel/air mixture which is burned inside the engine.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/26/11 at 13:27:02

Gyrobob wrote on 09/26/11 at 07:55:50:

The tank holds the gas.  Gravity pushes gas into the carb.  The carb then makes a fuel/air mixture which is burned inside the engine.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/42589/1750259-S1300x800.0.jpg?optimalizedperfo...

You forgot the petcock, stock and raptor version please.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/26/11 at 13:52:24

verslagen1 wrote on 09/26/11 at 13:27:02:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/26/11 at 07:55:50:

You forgot the petcock, stock and raptor version please.

I carefully selected a pic from the right side of the bike, so I could sidestep that issue altogether.  Wink

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/27/11 at 08:34:40

Quote:
I carefully selected a pic from the right side of the bike, so I could sidestep that issue altogether.  Wink

But the man wants details! We don't want to be giving disinformation, or incomplete information to the newbies, now do we?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/27/11 at 08:51:52

when you accept a job, you either do it or you don't.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 09/27/11 at 10:51:06

"The tank holds the gas.  If you have a stock petcock, it sucks...then, gravity pushes gas into the carb.  The carb then makes a fuel/air mixture which is burned inside the engine."
Better?...  Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 09/27/11 at 12:41:21

Serowbot wrote on 09/27/11 at 10:51:06:
"The tank holds the gas.  If you have a stock petcock, it sucks...then, gravity pushes gas into the carb.  The carb then makes a fuel/air mixture which is burned inside the engine."
http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/42589/1750259-S1300x800.0.jpg?optimalizedperfo...

Bwahahahahahahahaha Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 09/27/11 at 12:43:40

Serowbot wrote on 09/27/11 at 10:51:06:

tee hee,... Cheesy Wink Cool Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How thick is the stock spacer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.