Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch slipping w/right rod and good oil. (Read 85 times)
monoaural
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch slipping w/right rod and good oil.
09/23/11 at 10:48:57

Warning:Wall of text
I was preparing to do an oil change (PO's oil still in the crankcase), because the clutch was slipping a bit, and I didn't know what kind of oil or how long it have been in there. Threw some seafoam in the crankcase, and rode it for another 15-20 miles, started slipping real bad.
Changed the oil to rotella t5, with the sidestand method, and it got better, and it seemed to get better with every ride, still slipped though on hard accel. Found out about the clutch rod, and sure enough, was way high, and the clutch was adjusted way tight. Pulled the side cover off, saw that I was 2mm past needing a verslagen.
So, I left it dry, and apart for the week and half until I had the verslagen and time to do it. Got it back together last night, and rode it this morning, and she still slips.
The bottom of the arm rests dead even with the bottom mark on the case, with about 3/8s of slack at the clutch lever. Also of note, it has 12k miles, and already had the medium length rod in there, now has the longest.
I fear the clutch pack may be glazed with fuel saving junk, and hoping that my cheap syn oil will clean it out. Either that, or the clutch has dried out, and just needs to be ridden a bit more(only have put a couple of miles on it so far) Am I off base? Or do I have rip apart the clutch pack, and clean them off with gas/solvents?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Clutch slipping w/right rod and good oil.
Reply #1 - 09/23/11 at 13:22:27

Leave it alone and run it for a few oil changes before doing anything,

It will get better, or it will get worse -- ether way the answer will become clear with time and  a few oil changes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
monoaural
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 13:52:56

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/23/11 at 13:22:27:
Leave it alone and run it for a few oil changes before doing anything,

It will get better, or it will get worse -- ether way the answer will become clear with time and  a few oil changes.

I like this advice, all it requires is me to ride it.
I did some searching about seafoam and wet clutches, and no one had the same problem as I did, in fact, most people said it fixed their slip. It may just be coincidence with the seafoam part.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/23/11 at 14:19:06

Watch your wrist,, keep slip to a minimum,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/23/11 at 14:36:16

Do make sure you have at least a nickel's thickness worth of free play gap between outer face of clutch lever and the clutch housing when the clutch is fully out -- this makes sure the clutch springs are fully "in control" when the clutch is "let out".

ANYTHING that changes the viscosity of the oil affects the clutch -- I sprayed mine incidentally with brake parts cleaner while working on the cam shaft, chain and engine -- and it slipped like a Biatch for almost a week until the oil changed out in the clutch pack a few times through normal centrifugal circulation.

(innermost brass sleeve bearing is pressurized system oiled, the oil makes its way naturally out through the plates by spin force)

« Last Edit: 09/23/11 at 16:26:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 11:36:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slipping w/right rod and good oil.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.