Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Uh oh ~_~
Reply #30 - 09/26/11 at 06:02:20

bigdave wrote on 09/25/11 at 19:35:24:
.......Like my papa said "Usually it's better stuff if your paying more for it"........

I generally agree with this too, but it just does not apply when you are comparing regular to premium at a given gas station.  Yes you get what you pay for, but that does not mean what you are paying for works any better.  Using premium in a vehicle designed for 87 octane doesn't help any at all.

Now when you are talking about paying more for 87 at a sparkly new Chevron or Shell station compared to saving a bit by buying 87 at the discount place off the beaten path that is using 20-year-old tanks that get filled up every 6 months or so, I'd say paying a little more is worth it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #31 - 09/26/11 at 09:32:52

The symptoms you describe(progressive backfire and then engine cutoff) and the mileage (6k) suggest a cracked vacuum hose going to the petkock. It costs $3 to replace with about 18 inches of fuel hose.

To rule this out, put the petkock on 'prime' and block off the vacuum nipple on the right hand side of the carb.

Leaking oil around the head gasket at 6k miles? 6k miles is about how long the head plug will last. (i know mine will start leaking next at 18k miles after resealing it at 6k and 12k). Symptoms of a head plug leak are: oil marks at the front of the engine below the exhaust port, and then wraps around to the left side of the bike. It will soil your left hand side cover. Block out a Saturday afternoon to replace/reseal this. This is also a good time to re-torque the heads and set the valve lash. Getting the gas tank off is the trickiest part of this job Smiley

Once you knock these  problems out and mount your own tires(which are probably also due at 6k), you will become a certified Savage owner Smiley

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 09/26/11 at 20:01:10

Gyrobob, I wasn't wanting to get into the dispute between octanes. I was just comparing my results as a local college did a few months back & posted it in their paper. I do agree with you about the same octane at different stations but as far as higher octanes, I've been taught to use premium in things that will accept it. There is a reason that better car classes usually tend to only want you using higher octane. The problems with backfiring didn't seem to start until I put 87 in it.

1st2know- my hose wasn't cracked until I took it off. I bought the same gauge hose the other day but it doesn't seem to want to stay on as it leaked gas at carb port. So I'm going to try 1 gauge down. I have done the petcock test & it didn't do anything different.  So I'm still at a lost.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #33 - 09/27/11 at 06:20:41

BD, if you are, in fact, getting gas leaking out of the vac hose then that is a sign of a bad petcock. The vac hose connects to the right hand side of the carb and should just be creating a vacuum not carrying any gas.
So are you saying you got the bike started? If not, I'd still pull the plug and check it. If you got no sparky then it's never going to start...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #34 - 09/27/11 at 12:49:08

bigdave wrote on 09/26/11 at 20:01:10:
....... I've been taught to use premium in things that will accept it. There is a reason that better car classes usually tend to only want you using higher octane.......

Okay, we can start a new thread to discuss how what you have been taught is incorrect.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 09/27/11 at 12:58:57

Yep...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 09/27/11 at 13:55:51

I fixed the hose problem. It only happened when I turnedpetvock to reserve or full. The gauge on the bike to begin with was wrong the previous owner must of replaced it, then when I tore it & replaced it,it was still wrong. Smaller size =ed a better suction. My spark plug should be here soon. So I'll try that. & what's the actual technical term for the voltage regulator under the passenger seat? I was told thatvwas going bad but the last test still was close to where battery should have been. I don't have a volt meter to check it. But I may have to but another 1.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #37 - 09/27/11 at 13:59:40

bigdave wrote on 09/27/11 at 13:55:51:
I don't have a volt meter to check it. But I may have to but another 1.

You can get a cheapo voltmeter on ebay or Amazon for $4 including shipping.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #38 - 09/27/11 at 14:03:44

bigdave wrote on 09/27/11 at 13:55:51:
spark plug should be here soon. So I'll try that. & what's the actual technical term for the voltage regulator under the passenger seat?  

rectifier

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 09/27/11 at 16:16:31

Thanks guys. Is harbor freight stuff any good?I saw one for $4 brand new there.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #40 - 09/27/11 at 19:46:57

bigdave wrote on 09/27/11 at 16:16:31:

It is as good as any other cheap chinese stuff you'll find anywhere.  Generally, that kind of product from China used to be worthless a few years ago,... now it is not worthless, just not all that great.  For $4, consider it expendable.  I'd check it in the store before you buy it.  At least Harbor Freight is pretty good about refunds and exchanges.

The stuff made in China for the real name-brand companies is pretty good.  Buy a Sony something or other made in China and it'll work well.  It also costs more than the cheapo off-brand stuff.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #41 - 09/28/11 at 04:07:12

Where you at Dave? Maybe someone close to you....

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #42 - 09/28/11 at 09:42:14

Gyrobob wrote on 09/27/11 at 19:46:57:
bigdave wrote on 09/27/11 at 16:16:31:

It is as good as any other cheap chinese stuff you'll find anywhere.  Generally, that kind of product from China used to be worthless a few years ago,... now it is not worthless, just not all that great.  For $4, consider it expendable.  I'd check it in the store before you buy it.  At least Harbor Freight is pretty good about refunds and exchanges.

The stuff made in China for the real name-brand companies is pretty good.  Buy a Sony something or other made in China and it'll work well.  It also costs more than the cheapo off-brand stuff.

I have a few harbor freight power tools that I have used for about 5 years now and have had no porblems out of them.  I am not in construction or anything and only use them a couple of times a month though.  I only paid about $12 each for them though so I know I have got my moneys worth when they die.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #43 - 09/28/11 at 10:06:21

I bought a 3/8 torque wrench there when I had my side cover off for the Verslavy. It didn't work worth a crap, as I almost twisted a few bolts off, never hearing or feeling a click, when torque was reached.
However, I have had other things from there serve their useful purpose and beyond. Like Bob said, try it out there 1st and if it seems to be working, go for it. Savings of any kind these days are hard to come by.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uh oh ~_~

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.