Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My project proceeds... (Read 1063 times)
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
My project proceeds...
09/18/11 at 18:23:11

Done some more stuff to the ol' girl.  Figured I'd share, cuz thats what my pappy taught me.  Thoughts, feelings and insults welcome...

Anyway... so far, so good.  Soon (as in, over the winter) I'll do some more routine stuff, like the fix the speedo rattle and the plug/cap leak, get some different mirrors and possibly smooth out the control layout.  I'm toying with moving the rear turn signals onto the back fender; right above the struts.  I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna run the wires under the fender, though...

Also gonna rip into the engine and begin the process of turning this little thing into a fire-breathing monster.  Should be fun...

Overall shot.

Front view.

Made a rubber shroud for the battery terminals, installed a set of Routy's forward controls.  Next is the shroud for the electrical box.

Emergency medical for my bike; A.K.A: the toolbag.

$50 Superbrace scored from an old biker in town that was parting out his "ex-old lady"s ride.

Smoothed out the fender strut welds (bad shot; I'll get another).  Painted flat black from metallic grey.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My project proceeds...
Reply #1 - 09/18/11 at 18:34:25

Yup, youve got it lookin slim & trim,, you planning on slimmin that muffler down any?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #2 - 09/18/11 at 18:40:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/11 at 18:34:25:
Yup, youve got it lookin slim & trim,, you planning on slimmin that muffler down any?

Heh. Yeah, that'll definitely be included in the whole engine rebuild / tune-up / fire-breathing monster thing.  To the best of my knowledge (which is limited at best when it comes to exhaust flow and scavenging, etc...), I kinda have to get something free-flowing to make it all work, I just haven't decided what I'm gonna slap on there just yet...

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - 09/18/11 at 19:27:20

That looks darn cool. Right on.

I really like that vertical tool-bag. I think I'll have to take that idea and run with it. My current traditional style tool-bag is too big. I had it on the forks and it sagged down and scratched and dented my fender when the forks would compress. I moved it above the rear tail-light attached to the rear seat backrest. I don't like that location. Your spot is perfect unused real estate.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/18/11 at 21:34:53

Smokestack wrote on 09/18/11 at 18:40:48:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/11 at 18:34:25:

Heh. Yeah, that'll definitely be included in the whole engine rebuild / tune-up / fire-breathing monster thing.  To the best of my knowledge (which is limited at best when it comes to exhaust flow and scavenging, etc...), I kinda have to get something free-flowing to make it all work, I just haven't decided what I'm gonna slap on there just yet...

IMO, the Best exhaust is the Supertrapp,, it isnt the prettiest, I think the best looking is the Dyna & I ( I dont know this, I suspect it, & for absolutely NO reason other than I like the looks of it & I know its Freer flowing then the stock one) think the Dyna is about as good as the Supertrapp, unless you are really good at tuning & are willing to work the TRapp down to the last %age point of a horsepower. For the average mechanic, someone who deals in the rule of 80/20,,like me, the Dyna is gonna satisfy their needs, There ARE guys here who have the talent & ability & desire to drag Every Last Drop of performance out of these things that is possible w/o spending Huge $$$.. So, having said all that,, I Wish I had gone with the Dyna, instead of the TRapp.,. I woulda saved a ton O $$ & had about the same performance.
A fork brace is a necessity on these things if youre gonna use the power you are trying to make.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
berg
YaBB Newbies

I shower naked

Brisbane, AU
Reply #5 - 09/18/11 at 21:56:47

lookin good. i like the tan seat and matt black guards.
what is the rear guard from??

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/18/11 at 22:19:59

& I see you have the fork brace.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #7 - 09/19/11 at 05:30:04

berg wrote on 09/18/11 at 21:56:47:
lookin good. i like the tan seat and matt black guards.
what is the rear guard from??

The back fender is the front fender from and old Magna.  I got 2 of 'em for 30 bux at a local salvage yard.  Cut 'em to size and welded on some struts made from steel rod, then drilled and tapped some 1/4-20 holes into the swing arm at the bottom.  Turned out pretty well...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/19/11 at 10:00:55

Turned out REal Well,,

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/19/11 at 14:12:00

it's looking good. not fond of stickers all over the tank, but hey to each his own. good lookin rotty in the background too

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/19/11 at 14:17:28

I'm not a big fan of the stickers either, but otherwise, nice bike. I like those rear blinkers. Are those the 10" mini apes?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 09/19/11 at 14:19:57

drums1 wrote on 09/19/11 at 14:17:28:
I'm not a big fan of the stickers either, but otherwise, nice bike. I like those rear blinkers. Are those the 10" mini apes?

IIRC - Those are Biltwell Frisco bars, about 10" though. (They look awesome)

I'm diggin the bike, it has a true bobber look. (Once yea cast off the anchor Matey  Grin)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #12 - 09/19/11 at 16:15:36

It's gorgeous as usual Smokestack.

I am real close to dropping some cash on those Friscos and some extended cables.  I just have to convince my wife there is something she needs to drop $250 on so I am clear to spend.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/19/11 at 16:20:37

MrBrownTX wrote on 09/19/11 at 16:15:36:

I am real close to dropping some cash on those Friscos and some extended cables.  I just have to convince my wife there is something she needs to drop $250 on so I am clear to spend.

Take a weekend trip, show her a good time,, you get to have fun AND clear the decks for some bike goodies.. you will need to wait an appropriate length of time not mentioning what you want..

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #14 - 09/19/11 at 17:01:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/11 at 16:20:37:
MrBrownTX wrote on 09/19/11 at 16:15:36:

Take a weekend trip, show her a good time,, you get to have fun AND clear the decks for some bike goodies.. you will need to wait an appropriate length of time not mentioning what you want..

Haha very good.  Sounds like you are speaking from experience, lol.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:23:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My project proceeds...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.