Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike Cutting Off, Hard to Restart (Read 323 times)
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike Cutting Off, Hard to Restart
09/16/11 at 08:01:21

Hello,

I am having a problem with my 2009 S40.   We have been going throught the rainy season in Florida and so it has been sitting in the garage and getting run about once every two weeks.

Recently I took it on a short trip and it cut off twice, both times when I cut the throttle to idle to shift.  I thought it was low on gas and filled it up from a jug I had in my shed for the lawnmower.

The next day, I took it 8 miles to work and 8 miles back plus out to lunch and it ran perfectly.

Later that evening, I took it on a short hop (2 miles).  It cut off twice on the way there and 5 or 6 times on the way back.  I had to hold the throttle partially open at all times.  When it cut off it was hard to restart and reeked of gas as if flooded.  Not surprising since I had to crank it a lot to get it to fire up again.

At first I was afraid I had filled it with old gasoline or gas that might be dirty and had clogged the petcock or fuel filter.

This morning I opened the tank and looked in with a flashlight and didn't see anything obvious.  I dipped my finger in and the gasoline smells like gasoline, so I fired it up and let it idle.

Of course it ran perfectly.

I took it around the block a few times and no problems.

I am wondering if anyone might have any hints or suggestions?

I was going to take it to the shop but now there are no symptoms.  I am wondering if something might have been sticking in the caburetor.  

Perhaps I should buy some carb cleaner and pour it in the tank?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hal

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Bike Cutting Off, Hard to Restart
Reply #1 - 09/16/11 at 08:11:40

Seafoam. 1 ounce per tankful. Can be had at Wallymart or most auto parts stores. Make sure there are no leaks in vacuum line to petcock. Also, you might want to search for Serowbot's petcock test, to make sure it is working right.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - 09/16/11 at 09:03:44

kingart3 wrote on 09/16/11 at 08:01:21:
Hello,

Recently I took it on a short trip and it cut off twice, both times when I cut the throttle to idle to shift.
The next day, I took it 8 miles to work and 8 miles back plus out to lunch and it ran perfectly.

Later that evening, I took it on a short hop (2 miles).  It cut off twice on the way there and 5 or 6 times on the way back.  I had to hold the throttle partially open at all times.  When it cut off it was hard to restart and reeked of gas as if flooded.  Not surprising since I had to crank it a lot to get it to fire up again.

I am wondering if anyone might have any hints or suggestions.
Thanks,
 Hal

Hey Hal. About 6 weeks ago I was having THE EXACT SAME issues you're describing. Some days going to work (only 2.5 miles each way) the bike would run great. Others it would die out if I didn't give it throttle while downshifting and coming to a stop. On this website you'll hear that our Savages have a notorious petock issue.

Here is how to test for that issue:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

I did Serowbot's test. I sucked on the vacuum line and I it held suction. I plugged the vacuum line with a twig (replaced today with a golf tee) and bought a nipple from PepBoys to cap off the spot where the line connects onto the carb.

After bypassing the vacuum line I have not had any fuel starvation issues at all. My new Raptor petcock will arrive Monday  Smiley

You can try replacing that vacuum line. I haven't done that. I've just bypassed it and turned my petcock into a manually operated version.

This should fix you right up.

« Last Edit: 09/16/11 at 12:10:41 by Fish »  

IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/16/11 at 10:40:09

Yes I have heard about the petcock issue.  I will definitely test that.  I'll also pour some seafoam in the tank, since it can't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will get on it this weekend.

Appreciate the help,

-Hal

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/16/11 at 18:51:27

Make sure the idle is high enough,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 09/16/11 at 20:38:38

kingart3 wrote on 09/16/11 at 10:40:09:
Yes I have heard about the petcock issue.  I will definitely test that.  I'll also pour some seafoam in the tank, since it can't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will get on it this weekend.

Appreciate the help,

-Hal

I think Seafoam is used at 2oz per gal. I use a medicine cup from some cough syrup for a handy measure. Of course this cup is dedicated to Seafoam only.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/16/11 at 22:48:39

If the petcock is at fault, it will starve for fuel at hi speed first of all.
A problen at low speed when coming back to idle is not a petcock,....or even a vacuum line problem,.......IMO (for Bot & Boof)
You are looking at an internal carb problem, very possibly caused from not haveing a fuel filter. Seafoam may or may not help.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 09/17/11 at 05:29:57

Routy wrote on 09/16/11 at 22:48:39:
A problen at low speed when coming back to idle is not a petcock,....or even a vacuum line problem,.......IMO (for Bot & Boof)
You are looking at an internal carb problem, very possibly caused from not haveing a fuel filter. Seafoam may or may not help.

I was having the exact same problem he is on and off for a week. I never had any high speed fuel starvation, only intermittent low rpm fuel issues. My idle was high enough, I had to put it waay too high for the bike to not try and cut out when the rpms dropped down for shifting or idling. I bypassed the vacuum and have never had that issue again. Didn't use any Seafoam, didn't take apart my carb.
*shrugs* Just my own personal experience with my bike showing the same issues his is.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/18/11 at 07:39:29

Fish wrote on 09/17/11 at 05:29:57:
Routy wrote on 09/16/11 at 22:48:39:

I was having the exact same problem he is on and off for a week. I never had any high speed fuel starvation, only intermittent low rpm fuel issues. My idle was high enough, I had to put it waay too high for the bike to not try and cut out when the rpms dropped down for shifting or idling. I bypassed the vacuum and have never had that issue again. Didn't use any Seafoam, didn't take apart my carb.
*shrugs* Just my own personal experience with my bike showing the same issues his is.

Yes, I read your post above.
Doesn't change the fact that if we are talking fuel starvinization,Smiley if the engine is getting enough fuel for hi speed and WOT running, it is for sure getting way more than enough fuel for slow speed running,.....not hard to figure that one out, huh ?
So then are we talking about a flooding problem ?? caused by the petcock ??? Ruptured diaphram ?? on a '09 bike ???

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/18/11 at 09:07:33

Routy,

You are ignoring the "variable speed" nature of the vac petcock.   When input suction is low, fuel flow is low too.   The vac petcock isn't on/off at all, it reacts in a sliding scale from zero to full fuel flow according to the vacuum level it sees.  

There is nothing to say the vac petcock's rate of delivery just off idle to mid range is enough to keep the engine happy.   (probably depends on the diaghragm condition, air filter type, etc)

I would say that when the slide starts moving up, the needle comes into play and the main jet kicks in, the carburetor probably uses a ramp up in fuel used that isn't matched by any big increase in vacuum level (or big increase in the vac petcock's fuel delivery to the bowl).  

The slide just moved up because you got to the venturi point where the slide starts moving up and the main jet begins to ramp up its bigger fuel use at whatever that general input vacuum level/fuel delivery that happens to be.

Remember, there isn't any connection between vac petcock diaphragm and what it needs to raise up fully (certainly as it get older anyway) and the main slide diagphragm and what it needs to move the needle up (and ramp up the carb's fuel consumption).    

Enough of this out of sync and you get fuel starvation ...

BTW, expecting a newbie to tell you anything other than what he personally sees or knows about his one personal bike is probably futile -- and you should have rigged youself up a vac petcock to do the suction tests yourself by now so you would know this variable reaction stuff first hand already.

The good thing about the Raptor is that it is always on "full flow" and we know that full Raptor flow is very large compared to a vac petcock's total maximum possible flow through the diagphragm valve in the full open (full vacuum) position.

That's why wickers and high HP people like the  Raptor a lot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/18/11 at 09:44:14

On the stock petcock, the vacuum inlet has a damper valve to even out the vac pulses.  I yanked mine out cause it was gummy (88).  Now get yourself a big bucket and put it under the outlet of the petcock so you can see the pulses, and how far they shoot out.  With a full bowl you should be able to run a minute or 2.  Now light it up  Shocked  I mean start it and watch the gas shoot out.

OF, you probably have your ol' petcock tied to an anchor somewhere.  pull it out and compare the streams.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 09/18/11 at 09:58:11

A gummy intake vacuum damper valve (an entire new subsystem of the vac petcock that needs maintenance) -- if it were gummy what would that do to the "total response curve" of delivering fuel?

Would it decrease it?      Huh

=============

Seriously, the more I learn about the vac petcock the more ways it shows that it can possibly not do what you want it to do when you need it to be doing it.

Now we need to be factoring intake vacuum pulse frequency and vacuum pulse strength vs fuel valve opening distance and duration just to get to fuel flow delivered .... then it becomes fuel delivered vs fuel required by the bowl to get to potential leaning/stalling.  

And it can happen at any point in the rolling open of the throttle, buffered only by the fuel sitting in the bowl at the time it starts to take place.

Please, tell me you are pulling my leg (pretty please .....)

I turned my old vac petcock into a little vac actuated musical instrument that sits on my desk and I play a new tune on it every time I go and learn something new about that vacsucker petcock.  

Now I need to go train me a woodpecker to suck on it at different RPM pulse ranges so I can compare what makes it out of the fuel tap according to how hard I squeeze the woodpecker's balls and how fast he inhales between screams as he speeds up and up and up .....

Undecided

And now, now you are gonna make me take that vacsucker all apart looking for this new valve thingie that you gummied up and then removed as part of your ongoing vac petcock improvement program.

You is cruel, you is ....   all this work for getting new additional ongoing problems and a constant steam of troubles.

All I would make you do is bolt up a simple 2 screw manual petcock assembly you already know how to change out, then you wouldn't ever have to do anything except turn it on (assuming you wanted to keep turning it on and off that is -- most of us don't bother).  

No more problems, lots of gas whenever you needed it .....

No more F-whatevers sneaking up behind you and trying to mate with your motorcycle .....

Undecided   Undecided   Undecided

That was a female Ford truck, right?

Shocked    Shocked    Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/18/11 at 10:21:23

verslagen1 wrote on 09/18/11 at 09:44:14:
 Now light it up  Shocked  I mean start it and watch the gas shoot out.

Shoot out?... really?...

The fuel is not propelled by vacuum,... it is merely allowed to gravity flow when unblocked by a vacuum actuated stopper......

(I point his out, because many noobies will think that the vacuum somehow propels the fuel)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/18/11 at 10:42:40

Aww, cut him a break -- he's on up on his meds right now and he's feeling OK.

Later on this afternoon when his meds wear off, then you can talk sense to him (but he'll be too grumpy to talk back to you).

We'll just try to keep him entertained and such during his convalescence.  If it means sacrificing a male woodpecker or two during testing, that's OK -- just don't go be telling the Feds about it.  

They will want to know why their woodpecker's cockaded is all red ....    Angry    They consider that a restricted activity -- according to their signs anyway.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/18/11 at 10:45:56

Serowbot wrote on 09/18/11 at 10:21:23:
Shoot out?... really?...

The fuel is not propelled by vacuum,... it is merely allowed to gravity flow when unblocked by a vacuum actuated stopper......

(I point his out, because many noobies will think that the vacuum somehow propels the fuel)...

awe come on bot... you've never knocked the stopper off the bottom of a rain barrel to see the water shoot out a couple of feet or more?

The distance it shoots out is proportional to the level above the leak.

science... weird science... he baffled them with science...

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Cutting Off, Hard to Restart

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.