Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What in the heck are these bikes? (Read 322 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
What in the heck are these bikes?
09/16/11 at 07:23:11

I don't know how I found this site, it was an add some webpage... but are these just no brand name, no model name, generic 250cc bikes?

http://www.scooterdepot.us/motorcycles-p-1-c-41.html?gclid=CPyz2-HooasCFQnc4A...

Does anyone actually buy these?

Says they are top quality...??

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: What in the heck are these bikes?
Reply #1 - 09/16/11 at 07:43:48

Chinese bikes, originally sold in China are now being imported as "toss away" bikes.

The only "name brand" bikes from China are Johnny Page and LiFan.

There are literally 50 Chinese bike makers right now, good luck on finding any parts for your generic nameless Chinese bike here in the USA.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 09/16/11 at 07:58:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3LaxsbEpw&feature=player_embedded

Sounds better than my 2005 S40 ;(

Maybe my RAASK dragpipe will arrive today  Tongue

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 09/16/11 at 10:34:51

The Chinese motorcycle industry currently is about where the Japanese motorcycle industry was in the early 1960's.

Watch out!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #4 - 09/16/11 at 10:54:19

Some chinese bikes available in the USA.

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #5 - 09/16/11 at 11:05:50

My friend has a Chinese 250 A Brute 250.  It is a tiny Harley look a like and people ooh and ah over it that are clueless it's funny!  It runs great but every week some other part breaks off.  It is held together now with duct tape.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 09/16/11 at 11:14:08

lol..

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 09/16/11 at 11:16:36

D'ya think the front fork is compatible to the Savage?

Buy the bike, swap over the forks, sell the ricer, and voilà! Springer Savage!

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/16/11 at 11:19:58

MrBrownTX wrote on 09/16/11 at 11:05:50:
My friend has a Chinese 250 A Brute 250.  It is a tiny Harley look a like and people ooh and ah over it that are clueless it's funny!  It runs great but every week some other part breaks off.  It is held together now with duct tape.

To those of us who were kids when the Japanese motorcycles started to show up in the states, this is a very familiar story,..  although as I remember the early Jap bikes were better quality machines than most of the current Chinese stuff.  All the bike shops and bike veterans decried the rice-burning crap that was showing up.  "Get a REAL motorcycle like a Beezer or a Trumpet or a Norton or even a Harley!!"

By the mid 60's the Japanese bikes were way better than the stuff from Britain and the rest of Europe.  I was in a band with a couple of guys who bought bikes.  Honda Superhawk 305 and a BSA Goldstar 500.  The guy that bought the BSA spent hundreds more because he didn't "want no friggin (he didn't say friggin) HONDO jap crap that can't get out of its own way and spends all its time in the shop!!!"  Well as it turned out, the Superhawk could stomp on the Beezer at will, and the Beezer spent a lot of time in the garage waiting for parts while the two of them tooled around on the friggin Hondo.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 09/16/11 at 11:31:05

My neighbor (75+ years old) bought a 250 scooter from them.  Crashed it (driving into sun, dropped the wheels off the side of the road and over-corrected).  Then he decided he wanted a trike.  He liked the 2 wheels on front, so he ordered one of them.  Said it was too floppy to ride.  I didn't ride that one, but my husband did.  He even said it was really weird to steer.  He has since sold both of those.  So now, he is thinking of buying the 2-rear wheel trike, and will probably buy from the same place again.  

So yes, people are buying them.  Top quality?  Nah! Both of those were cheaply made, but served the purpose for him.  I wouldn't personally put too much faith in them lasting very long, but I guess it all depends on what you want it for.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #10 - 09/16/11 at 12:50:40

Built2Last wrote on 09/16/11 at 07:58:27:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3LaxsbEpw&feature=player_embedded

Sounds better than my 2005 S40 ;(

Maybe my RAASK dragpipe will arrive today  Tongue

Haha, that little thing doesn't sound too bad. That big guy does not fit that bike, at all however.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 09/16/11 at 16:09:38

Super powerful? And that "street legal" bobber (which isn't, lights don't meet highway standards).

I've got an early 60s Honda 250 Scrambler (remnants). The frame is ugly as sin but I can't fault the powertrain, at all. Easier to fix than a Savage (cheaper too) and a whole lot less complicated. Most complex part is the dual point breaker plate. If I didn't feel it made me look like a "monkey f***ing a football" I'd probably have it on the road by now.

If Chinese bikes are as durable as Chinese boots you'd have to buy a new one every couple months.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/16/11 at 19:19:32

If Chinese bikes are as durable as Chinese boots you'd have to buy a new one every couple months.

I guess if ya bought their boots & their bikes & ate their food, you go broke pretty quick..

wait,, I think we already did that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 09/16/11 at 19:26:57

Maybe chinese bikes are just knock off bikes of chinese bikes?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 09/16/11 at 20:49:16

I don't know if this is true, but a motorcycle writer once said that Harley or Davidson once said, "The American buyer will never accept a four cylinder in-line engine." I've thought about buying up some of these Chinese bikes for a song and getting knowledgable about them. May be a gold mine. Very few dealers and absolutely no support. If you can find suppliers online the parts are dirt cheap. Check 'em out. Of course the thing that bugs me is helping out China in the process. I don't feel the same about Japan, for some reason. Must be the Communism.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › What in the heck are these bikes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.