Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Illegal to replace punctured tube in New York? (Read 142 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Illegal to replace punctured tube in New York?
09/14/11 at 13:08:02

I had a screw puncture my Vulcan's rear tire and took it to a bike shop to have the tube replaced, the owner said it is illegal to patch the tire and replace the tube in NYS! Is this guy legit? The tire is a brand new Metzeler and I purchased a new tube hoping to have it put on the bike. The tire has a tiny screw hole (not on the sidewall) on the tread. Does this guy sound like he's yanking my chain. I believe the tire will be fine on a cruiser.

I've looked online and couldn't find the so-called law he is talking about.

IP Logged
Sam7.62

It made better sense
in my head...

Tampa, Fla
Re: Illegal to replace punctured tube in New York?
Reply #1 - 09/14/11 at 13:38:31

Everything in NY is illegal. Smiley Have you tried another shop?

'08 S40 Jardine,Debadged,Backoff/XP brake flasher deal
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/14/11 at 14:08:20

I filled the tire up and rode it there. When I got there he says" It's illegal to put a tube on a rim with a punctured tire" I checked around, he's FOS. I'll get something to pick the bike up with manana and drop it off down the road. His loss...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/14/11 at 14:09:41

It might be illegal to patch a tubeless tire (although I doubt it)
but to replace a tube in the tire?
BTW, I wouldn't bother to patch the tire as long as there was no damage other than a hole.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/14/11 at 21:18:05

I would. Having repaired probably 10,000 auto tires, and various other  tires with tubes....skid loaders and such, we would patch the inside of tire (using a plug/patch) and then insert new tube. The thinking was that under high enough pressure, the tube could actually bulge out the hole--even a tiny one. Just to be safe, I would use a small patch and a new tube. And buy an air guage.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/14/11 at 23:44:01

I used to be a tube patcher in a tire shop too,....long before plug patches, and we had to mark the tire and the tube before disassembly, then the patch on the tube would be over the hole in the tire,......no need to "boot" or patch the tire.
Even a 1/4" hole is what fraction of a sq inch,.....about 1/20th ?? Air pressure is lbs per sq inch, so if there is 100 lbs on a sq inch, how many lbs is there on 1/20 th of a sq inch,.....about 1.75 lbs, ?? hardly enough to push a tube thru a hole in a tire.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/15/11 at 05:38:44

I get it, but he's putting in a new tube, so there is no patch over the hole. I'm just saying I wouldn't risk it. Not on my bike. If you feel safe with no patch over the hole, go for it. I don't like to think about a blowout going 70. What's that they say about hindsight?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/15/11 at 06:45:11

drums1 wrote on 09/15/11 at 05:38:44:
I get it, but he's putting in a new tube, so there is no patch over the hole. I'm just saying I wouldn't risk it. Not on my bike. If you feel safe with no patch over the hole, go for it. I don't like to think about a blowout going 70. What's that they say about hindsight?

+1
not on my bike either

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #8 - 09/15/11 at 06:54:30

Sounds like overkill on the part of the bike shop.  Maybe they don't know any better........maybe they just want to sell you some stuff.  Considering what's been pointed out above, I'd mark the tube, tire, and wheel, put a patch on the tube, reassemble everything and GO.  Don't know if a small patch is enough to affect tire balance or not.  I'm Cheap............would do it myself.

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Illegal to replace punctured tube in New York?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.