Send Topic Print
No Key at dealership (Read 194 times)
paramedic9004
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No Key at dealership
09/14/11 at 08:55:59

I recently purchased an 06 S40.  The dealer advised that they were going to service the bike and so on and I could pick it up later that day.

I arrive that afternoon.  Dealer advises that they cannot find the key for the bike.  States that he will order a new key set and it should be delivered in 4 days.

So...I'm OK with that until I receive a call today (Day7) and I am told that the key set is back ordered and they will not know an expected ship date or if it will be shipped at all by Friday...which would be day 9 with no bike.  They do not have the key code because it wasn't registered into their database.  

Needless to say, I am about to go over to the dealership today and I am wanting to see how this can be resolved.  I have read a few posts on here stating that the key code is stamped on the key assembly near the battery.  Is this fact or fiction.  I don't want to mention this and look like a complete moron.  

Secondly, I am doing my very best not to have a "come apart" with this dealership.

Any advise would be much obliged.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No Key at dealership
Reply #1 - 09/14/11 at 09:42:00

I feel your pain.
And since no one else replied to the others request...

I can only guess that the practice of stamping the key code on the ig switch was discontinued sometime after '02.

Any locksmith should be able to pick those locks in 30 seconds.  I was able to after a couple of minutes.

The tool box is the least secure.  Pry the top part up and the 2 tabs will slip off.  Pry it down and wiggle and the lock should slip off the tab.

Now you got the lock in your hand, take it to a locksmith with a blank from the dealer.

Link to key info...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1150464511/0

link to tool box rekeying...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1197567326/0

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/14/11 at 09:45:40

According to another thread, the key code would be stamped on the bottom of the ignition, but only through 2002.

If they lost the key, they should do whatever it takes to make it work right, today. Not tomorrow or next week. They can take an ignition and gas cap off of one of their new bikes sitting there. And then hand you the key.

I have worked at numerous auto repair shops. Either fix it right and get it back to you, or there should be some massive monetary compensation for making you wait, without your bike, for more than a week. Like a couple hundred off the purchase price, or whatever work you had done.

If they are at all reputable, they should be able to work something out.

Or, as Versy said, have THEM take it to a locksmith and cover the cost.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #3 - 09/14/11 at 13:52:10

They should be able to pop the gas cap. I had to get new keys cut for my bike and all I needed was the gas cap. The code was under there and a locksmith was able to look it up and cut me a couple new sets.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #4 - 09/15/11 at 12:42:46

greenmonster wrote on 09/14/11 at 13:52:10:
They should be able to pop the gas cap. I had to get new keys cut for my bike and all I needed was the gas cap. The code was under there and a locksmith was able to look it up and cut me a couple new sets.

ooooh good info!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 10/02/11 at 05:57:49

paramedic9004 wrote on 09/14/11 at 08:55:59:
I recently purchased an 06 S40.  The dealer advised that they were going to service the bike and so on and I could pick it up later that day.

I arrive that afternoon.  Dealer advises that they cannot find the key for the bike.  States that he will order a new key set and it should be delivered in 4 days.

So...I'm OK with that until I receive a call today (Day7) and I am told that the key set is back ordered and they will not know an expected ship date or if it will be shipped at all by Friday...which would be day 9 with no bike.  They do not have the key code because it wasn't registered into their database.  

Needless to say, I am about to go over to the dealership today and I am wanting to see how this can be resolved.  I have read a few posts on here stating that the key code is stamped on the key assembly near the battery.  Is this fact or fiction.  I don't want to mention this and look like a complete moron.  

Secondly, I am doing my very best not to have a "come apart" with this dealership.

Any advise would be much obliged.

So how did this turn out?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
paramedic9004
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 13:38:06

It turned out well.  Just so happened that when I went to discuss this in person, I noted a 2011 being unloaded from a freight truck.  

So initially, the dealership was ordering a new set but it was listed on back order.  So, I was in line to be waiting for another 1-2 weeks for the back ordered part to arrive.  

In turn, I suggested that the key set from the new S40 that was being unloaded should be taken off and put on my bike since they were ordering a new one anyway.

After looking at me like I had a third eye, the dealer said "No Way...that isn't going to happen."  

So I politely told him that I wanted a full refund of my money and he could place the bike square up his....................

He then advises me that I had already signed the papers on the bike and that I could not back out.  I excused myself from the showroom floor, called the wife and asked I she needed anything from town prior to me going home....Hung up with her and approached the store owner again and asked him for a valid fax number that my attorney could send a few legal documents to...

I left with the bike with an 2011 key set about an hour later.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 10/03/11 at 13:39:49

well played.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/03/11 at 14:06:03

Well played?

I think that was a fire ball serve that left the judges staring at the burnt mark in the court line.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/03/11 at 14:59:36

& Im late to the party,, I was gonna suggest that you bought the bike & they wont deliver, so, they should Rent it,, I was thinking $50.00 /day would motivate them to solve the problem,..,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Key at dealership

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.