Send Topic Print
Stuck Petcock (Read 352 times)
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stuck Petcock
09/07/11 at 18:17:04

Wife needed to switch to reserve last time out and couldnt move it so she had to pull over.I'm riding lead on my bike and knew something was wrong when she didnt come out of the s turn so i turned around and she told me she couldnt turn the petcock thingy.So like a good husband i rolled my eyes shook my head and said to her you just turn it .She said to me you turn it so i said no problem until i muttoned onto it and couldn't budge it.Now this is a brand new S40 2010 with 500 miles on it.I had to get the pliers out of my bike to turn it but now it seems a little better and i can actually turn it with my fingers.Is this because the bike is a year old and never got turned or are they known for sticking?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stuck Petcock
Reply #1 - 09/07/11 at 18:41:04

You need to eat more red meat... Grin...

Naw,.. the stock mechanism is famous for getting sticky, if you don't turn it very often...  
... on the good side, it'll wear out faster if you do...

That's not a real good side... but it's the only one it's got... Huh...

They are also famous for going bad...  many people switch to a petcock off of a manual Yamaha 660 Raptor...one third the cost, and smoother mechanism...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #2 - 09/07/11 at 18:47:27

Don't know if our petcocks freeze-up any more than others. Have never had the problem. To prevent the problem "exercise" the petcock regularly. My method-every 2-3 tanks of gas-leave gas station-set petcock to prime-after 5-10 mins. set to reserve-run 15-20 miles-back to run. The petcock is exercised and you used gas from the bottom of the tank-prevents crud from collecting. That's this lazy old fr##ts method.

IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/07/11 at 19:15:55

I'm going to have to switch the petcock valve to reserve more often for sure

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/07/11 at 20:04:46

Ziggy,

How are you gonna explain to her you left a pre-failure practically brand new stock vac petcock installed on her brand new bike knowing durn well the dead on the roadside heartaches you were leaving her potentially signed up for?   (in 5 to seven years from now, anyway)

Undecided     Undecided      Undecided       Undecided       Undecided

"Darling, you weren't worth the $24 spent or the 40 minutes of time it would have taken me to get rid of that ill-turning unreliable vac sucker that just left you stranded in traffic (although I knew all about it 5 to seven years ahead of time and I even got teased a bit on the list for having left it on your bike and thus proving to the world I had no forethought and I didn't really love you very much at all)."

Wink

Now Routy and Verslagen can justifiably give me some shite for unjustified "vac petcock scare mongering" -- but if it comes true in 5 to seven years you'll remember this clearly now won't you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/07/11 at 21:45:06

ziggy wrote on 09/07/11 at 19:15:55:
I'm going to have to switch the petcock valve to reserve more often for sure

That will probably cure the problem.
As you have noticed, petcock paranoia has set in for several of the oletimers here. They will blame everything but the kitchen sink on to the vacuum operated petcock, when in reality they seldom give a problem in their 10-20 yr lifespan.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/07/11 at 22:31:54

Routy wrote on 09/07/11 at 21:45:06:
As you have noticed, petcock paranoia has set in for several of the oletimers here. They will blame everything but the kitchen sink on to the vacuum operated petcock, when in reality they seldom give a problem in their 10-20 yr lifespan.

Wisdom from a guy with with  a bike,... how old, Routy?...  Huh...

Routy... you can learn from the experience of others,... or learn from your own....
Either way,...  You learn... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/08/11 at 00:55:55

you can learn from the experience of others,... or learn from your own....
Either way,...  You learn... Wink...

Ive learned that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/08/11 at 05:22:50

Routy, now that you have actually had a real chance (carefully manufactured) to chide me for a real case of petcock paranoia, do you feel any better?

Ziggy gets the point, and the next time the vac sucker does his wife dirty (years from now) he will remember -- and he'll keep his mouth carefully shut (like any smart husband does) and order her a Raptor real quick-like, mainly because he really does love her.

Of course Routy, you know that the end game on your vac sucker is coming for you soon enough, question is are you gonna be honest about it (like Verslagen has been/will be) or are you like a smart husband and you'll just keep your mouth shut about it?

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #9 - 09/08/11 at 06:10:07

I learned real quick. No fun having the bike basically shut down on you at 70 mph on the interstate in the middle lane at 6pm traffic. Did it to me 4 times before I finally did the petcock test. I ordered the Raptor 660 petcock the very next day. That's why I made a How-To video in the tech section for us noobs.

It's unfortunate Suzuki refuses to acknowledge this, along with the cam chain tensioner as a problem/malfunction on their bikes. It's been this way since the first Savage rolled off the assembly line in the 1980s. I just hope these issues don't hurt or end up leaving too many folks stranded.

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/08/11 at 06:19:05

Ian.

Justin and I can cast our minds back to all the folks with "mysterious carb / jetting problems" and all the repeated "pull it and clean the screens" and all the "seem to have lost compression at speed"  and all the "repeated carb tear down repairs" type thingies we have read over the years and we wonder -- we really do -- how many were really just petcock episodes that were never correctly identified.

Not all of them were, but some were ....

And now that the petcock goes front and center first thing, many ongoing issues have shown themselves to be vac petcock's throwing up symptoms that were very like carb issues, jetting issues, etc.  etc.

Like the old rock song says

"We won't be fooled again ....."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 09/08/11 at 06:52:18

Well, I'll spell it out for you oldtimers,......OP will know more about it also,.....
We were speaking of the Petcock "itself". I haven't seen any evidence of the petcock "itself" giving any problem (like diaphram rupture) in less than a 10 yr old bike,....and I'll even go 15 yrs on that now,.....and not to say that it couldn't happen.

No matter what you guys try to get new members to believe, the truth is,.....most all times that a "hi speed" lack of fuel problem comes up, it is a lack of vacuum supplied to the petcock, whether it be a bad vacuum hose, clamps, or a lack of vacuum supplied by the engine itself.
And of course,.......doing away w/ an automated saftey device,.......changing to a manual shut off style petcock, is going to eliminate any of those potential problems that very likely will not come in the first 5-10 yrs.

Why don't you guys admit that when a carb is flooding,.....fuel running out the air intake, that 99% of the time it is the float valve, not the petcock ??!

The problem here is that w/ the "petcock paranoia" you guys got going here, is that every little fuel problem that come up gets blamed on to the petcock, and causes an unnecessary change out that seldom fixes the problem.
It just seems like you guys would be smart enough to know that if the petcock was even 1/4 the problem that you guys pretend it to be, it would have been replaced by Suzy many.....20+ ?? yrs ago.

The newbys can believe what they want to, but they deserve to know the truth......from reading 3 years of this forum,....and other research also does not support what is posted here.

Me, I'm headed fishing !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 09/08/11 at 08:31:08

Poor Routy's got Raptor Petcock Paranoia Paranoia (RPPP)   Tongue   Aaah, a fishing trip sounds perfect, just what the Dr. ordered.  

Ziggy, you'll find that any manual petcock (Raptor, Pingel, IMS, whatever) will stay smoother than the vac petcock, mainly because they get exercise.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/08/11 at 08:31:20

Routy,

I will completely agree that most of the petcock issues cluster around low vacuum levels, which can occur on all Savages as they go full open throttle and approach higher speeds.

I will also freely admit that all the modders and wickers (myself included) have aggravated these low vacuum issues by taking out the stock (restrictive) Suzuki air filter.   We are also asking for more gas volume at all speeds to feed our more powerful engines (and that is at these reduced intake restriction removed vacuum levels).

I completely agree that the stock vac petcock offers a variable gas flow that is in proportion to the amount of suction that the vac line sees (and I completely agree that the vac line is the first failure item to go too).

I will also freely admit that the putt putt around moderately and leave the bike completely stock crowd may never have an issue with the stock vac petcock until they get a whole lot of years on it and the diaphragm stiffens on them.   Until then, the putt putt boys may never exceed the variable gas flow the petcock will provide.

I don't debate the splitting diaphragm thing as I have never had one go on me personally -- I'll leave that one for Serobot and Verslagen and the boys who have had one go dump fuel down the vac tube into the airbox and sump.  

Give you a clue though, Verslagen thinks fuel washing down the cylinder walls is a engine damage mode that he is willing to discuss as a serious possible failure mode ....

So, you got a stock vac petcock that cannot operate on the intake vacuum levels that exist on mebbe half the bikes on the list?   And vac suction line rubber tubes that fail pretty wide spread in the 5-7 year time frame?  

You see, it really doesn't matter to me about the semantics about whether it is a "vacuum level problem" or "vacuum petcock problem" -- it is still a stinkin' problem that needs addressing.

Since you want to address it as a "vacuum level issue" then what solution do you propose to increase our vacuum levels at high speeds?

Cheesy

Routy, I am soooooo much more fun to play with than Bill is with his Klotz and his Seafoam -- I can type really long sentences and I actually try to respond to what you say.

(what you say makes good sense BTW and prompts better thinking on my part on the issues at hand).    

Catch you a nice fish or two for me, and drink you a couple of nice cold beers while you are out there on the lake.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 09/08/11 at 08:42:41

My Suzuki 650 GR went 22 years 18 of those years stored,driven 8 miles once a year,Never had to replace petcock or a hose or change the brake fluid,had 28000 miles on it when I sold it.The Petcock looked just like the S40 petcock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.