Send Topic Print
oil level (Read 258 times)
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oil level
09/01/11 at 19:05:41

changed the oil and filter today.  i filled the oil up to the top of the sight glass (when standing straight up).. it just barely peeks through the sight glass when on the kick stand.  Thats how it was before (when i bought it).  but i noticed clymers says to fill it up to the min max in the sight window.  

I know how OIL subjects in this forum can be like starting world war 3.. i just want to know if this is ok or should i siphon off a few a little bit.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: oil level
Reply #1 - 09/01/11 at 19:11:17

You will be fine like that.  there are a couple of threads about checking the oil on the side stand, just having it peek over the bottom.  The offical Suzuki way is to stand the bike vertical and fill it to between the lines.

Look out, there may be another war, with stuff flying around. Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 09/01/11 at 19:34:03

I would just add that I let it idle and fill up the oil filter, which is not much, and get in the top end. I turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes and check it. You can even stand it up straight and get another spoon full in the glass. Then you know it is ok in a hard running situation.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/01/11 at 20:29:04

Should "innocent sounding newbies" who gleefully post that they are not intentionally starting WWIII whilst lighting off their initial Molotov question -- should they be made to do a HOT TEST to see if they are qualified to play with fire?

Roll Eyes        Duh,  whut's a HOT TEST ???  Do different oils give different HOT TEST results if used in the same bike?   Is my side stand different from yours?    Can I find HOT TEST by using Search?  Why is the ground under my left foot smoking and ticking?   What can I do about all these bugs going "wheet" past my ears?   What is flameproof Kelvar and why is it my best friend?  
Which durn side am I on, anyway?   When do I get issued a gun so I can shoot back, please ....

All teasing aside, just run it -- the oil level will go down shortly ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/01/11 at 22:54:54

SS method,......I push it more all the time. I was running on the low line for a long while, but the other day it was just peeking, so it must have used a little. So, while I had to add a little anyway, I filled to midway the 2 lines. There, see how Suzy likes that !
48 miles later, up and back down 4,000 ft elev, no smokie, no smell oil, no see oil, no drippy oil, all is well. Well, somebody had to do it !

Me, ??? I really think that the idea to check oil vertically was a mistake right from the get go. I think there is a lot a bikes out there running around low on oil Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/02/11 at 06:01:20

I stand tall and firm in my belief that 2 1/2 Qts. is the right amount of oil, with a filter change. No smoke, no "where did my oil go", no foaming, very little, if any, blowby. Oil peaks in window when on SS, near top when vertical. During hot test, when vertical, oil is near top of window, flowing, with no foaming, no bubbles.
The problems I DO have were created by other things. IE; idiot techs putting oil pump gear in bassackwards, idiot techs putting oil filter in bassackwards, idiot techs snapping head bolts, idiot owner running over large rocks in the road, etc., etc..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/02/11 at 18:13:57

I done tolt you about them there Stealership Jr. proctologists they let work on yer bike.

"Hey, we got another one of them old Savage 250cc single cylinder Suzuki slo-peds over here with some sorta oil leak".   "Yeah, put that work order in little Joey's stack, he'll be in this weekend now that high school is back in session -- he does all our singles and dirt bikes all summer long ..."  

"Joey's here man, he's out riding a customer's bike up and down the concrete stairs to the loading dock, he's bouncing it up on the rear wheel playing at being Mr. Super Trials again."  

"Man, is that dumb punk stoned again or what?"  

"Joey, that thing is a cruiser ya stupid asswipe -- not a trials bike !!!   You are bending up the license plate and chipping the paint doing that trials shite up and down them stairs"

« Last Edit: 09/02/11 at 19:39:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/02/11 at 18:19:57

You know when youre in a young proctologists office..
theres always a stolen street sign

End Construction

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/02/11 at 18:38:25

Mine has a picture of his grandaddy running a hissing steam drill down in an early coal mine, got a box of dynamite down at his feet next to his shutter lamp ....

Doc swears he still has the old roto-rooter drill in his back closet -- he'll take it out and use it on ya if ya give him any gruff.

Shocked       BUPP!!! BUPP!! Bhuurrrr !!!    (steam clouds obscure the examining room as the shreiks start)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/02/11 at 18:39:54

Huh

This really isn't very much of an oil war or a window war you know -- only one side showed up fer the argument.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 09/02/11 at 19:02:08

I dunno about you guys, but for the ultimate motorcycling experience I'm gonna stick a super magnet on my Raptor petcock and run some SEA FOAM through it, by gar..  will report the results as soon as I get my fingers oiled up with some Rotella and boot up a Windows computer..  Cheesy

sorry... drunk  Huh

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 09/02/11 at 19:17:40

Don't ever type on a Windows machine with oily fingers --
you'll crash that wobbly sucker sure as the world !!!

Cheesy

My Window XP partition on the old PC died,  got et by a narsty root/boot eating something or 'nother.

Changed my boot order to put my Linux Mint partition up as my first boot device -- problem all solved.

Sad thing is I could fix my Windows, but to do that it would mess up my Linux and the Linux stuff is still working fine and I am loathe to mess with something that works good.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 09/02/11 at 19:23:53

jspace wrote on 09/01/11 at 19:05:41:
changed the oil and filter today.  i filled the oil up to the top of the sight glass (when standing straight up).. it just barely peeks through the sight glass when on the kick stand.  Thats how it was before (when i bought it).  but i noticed clymers says to fill it up to the min max in the sight window.  

I know how OIL subjects in this forum can be like starting world war 3.. i just want to know if this is ok or should i siphon off a few a little bit.  

Just open up the timing port while on the kick stand and it'll come down to the right level.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/02/11 at 19:36:37

Yeah, go do what Verslagen said .... then post back and tell us what happened .....

Cool

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/03/11 at 10:41:19

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.