Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: ramblin' IT
09/02/11 at 19:42:29

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/02/11 at 19:17:40:

..and I am loathe to mess with something that works good.

You got that right, I am still limping along this 11yo hardware on ArchLinux.  Unlike with MS stuff, your machine does not get mysteriously slower with time.

Well I guess jspace got his answer and it is fine to go totally OT  Cheesy

« Last Edit: 09/03/11 at 10:41:51 by verslagen1 »  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: oil level
Reply #1 - 09/03/11 at 02:18:48

Yeah, when you start your thread off with whooshing a Molotov cocktail at the world ya gotta not be surprised when the tanks show up.

So you use Arch, which means you understand the Linux command line to a degree.  Me, I'm a linux cripple who wants it to hold my hand and lead me along all nice like, so I use Mint.   She's nice and purty and she holds my hand jest fine and she smells all minty fresh.

My semi-fried processor (fan issues) and faulty hard drive will still run Mint at full speed for everything except playing Youtube videos, so this machine is still functional as a desk PC for 95% of my uses.

Have you read about this cute little toy?

http://liliputing.com/tag/raspberry-pi

I find this intriguing, a $35 computer that as of now can do just about all my limping HP big white box can do.   It comes with Debian and Ubuntu preloaded.

The ARM world will really take off soon, with much lower priced stuff available for the folks who can get away from the Microsoft/Intel mind set.  

Grin  Somehow, the Iphone/Android generation has no issues with that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 09/03/11 at 06:55:19

Wow.. they just get smaller and cheaper!  35 bucks? Dang.  I think I paid $600 just for the motherboard and processor.

Just yesterday I saw (in the "free" section of CL)  a computer a good 8 years newer than mine.. tempting.

But I think for the next one I'll spring for a newer/smaller architecture just for the power savings.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/03/11 at 10:35:14

I remember how shocked I was when the AMD Athelon 64 chip and motherboards started advertising that they could put more computing power on your desktop than the original Cray Supercomputer had, period.

It blew my mind.   More power than NSA's best codebreaker from 10 years earlier.   More power than the machines that dynamically modeled the H bomb fission implosion / fusion explosion cycle for the first time.

Heck fire boys, you got more computing power than that now in yer silly Android and Apple cell phones !!

And those stupid tablet gizmos ain't no slouches neither.

======================

Hewlet Packard, worlds largest manufacturer of PC's and Laptops has just announced they are getting out of the desktop computer business.  They have sold off all stocks of HP tablets using their own custom operating system and are gonna refocus on their printer business.  They will soon be running sales on all desktops still in stock.

Wend through all the public relations bullfarkle and it goes like this "Intel/Microsoft desktop machines are a thing of the past -- we are getting out NOW before we go down with the ship".  

Laptops may continue as long as they remain profitable, but competition is fierce and technical innovations are coming too fast to predict any long term technology winners.  

"The Cloud" means any old machine that can get you on the net is jest about as good as any other these days.  A Roku box or a game box is jest as good as a Wintel Desktop box, the monitors you look at are jest a little different.

Times, they are a changin'

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/03/11 at 10:46:56

For me, this just won't do.
I need at my fingertips power.
3D capabilities
raw number crunching
vast amounts of ram
a reasonable amount of storage
POWER!

If not then servers will be doing it and with a room full of similar needs, it'll have to be a super computer.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/03/11 at 13:22:51

I used to feel that way.   I bought my daughter the VERY FIRST 64 bit laptop that was ever made.   It was seriously hot shite.

She was "da man" when she was in college -- she coud run Solidworks 3-d CAD on her laptop -- half the full tower desktop boxes in the lab didn't have enough ass to run it.   We stuffed that laptop with all the fast memory it could possibly hold -- one full meg of systems memory.

Last time we talked computers (at Best Buy of course) we were chuckling about her old heavy hot running laptop -- and how the specs on it had been eclipsed by all the friggin' netbooks sitting over there on the display.

It is a progression thing -- Cray Supercomputer -- AMD Athelon PCs -- Super AMD 64 notebook -- friggin' netbooks -- Verslagen's cell phone

Now it is a $35 computer that gets you to Google's server farm.

Life goe on . .....  ON ! (la de da da da)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/03/11 at 15:06:27

They got this cheap little boogersnot at Wallymart for $79.00...

I'd be tempted, but I already got an Acer netbook...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-RBSYNET7WID/17048504

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 09/03/11 at 21:10:47

Just in case you don't know it, you can go to walmart.com and find about anything you need, pay online with a card and pick it up at your favorite store with NO s&h charge. They have lots of stuff that's not in the stores. My wife works for WM and we do this quite often. Just sayin'.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/04/11 at 05:29:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/03/11 at 10:35:14:
I remember how shocked I was when the AMD Athelon 64 chip and motherboards started advertising that they could put more computing power on your desktop than the original Cray Supercomputer had......   More power than NSA's best codebreaker from 10 years earlier.   More power than the machines that dynamically modeled the H bomb fission implosion / fusion explosion cycle for the first time. ......... Heck fire boys, you got more computing power than that now in yer silly Android and Apple cell phones !!

Viktor Belenko, in 1976, flew a Mig-25 to Japan,.. defecting with the most advanced Soviet weaponry of the time.  On a tour later, he was watching some American kids play Atari and stated our children had more advanced technology in their toys than did his Mig-25 Foxbat.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/04/11 at 12:58:27

Point, he brings up a good point about gaming -- Intel stopped developing faster chips whenever 1) new stronger GPU's started taking the load of running the advanced games away from the processor 2) PS2 and game machines took over gaming (mostly).

We do have actually stronger processors now, but it is with multiple parallel processors that are actually slower (less energy wasteful cores) than the earlier fast single core 64 bit chips.

=====================

Windows 8 (if it is done right) should be able to run well on all existing hardware -- and I do mean the older stuff too.

If Windows 8 won't run well on an XP class machine then Microsoft is screwed (done gone down for the last time).    People are tired of Microsoft's upgrade bullshit -- they are adding NO VALUE to anything lately by doing so.

XP class hardware is fine for Linux.    Linux runs like a scalded ape on old XP class hardware, faster than XP has in a long time as a matter of fact.  

(XP used to be fast, reload yours and don't patch it for a few days and just check it out for yourself)

XP class hardware can run Android, but nobody is really putting any effort into that as XP still works and is still going to be supported up through April 8th, 2014.

Microsoft has a real issue with their continuing existence if they don't pluck their heads out of their arses over the new Windows 8.   They seem to be trying to make it all restrictive again, and that won't work this time.

Watch out for Chrome OS -- it is beginning to be able to handle various softwares apart from the internet connection.   Windows 8 needs to beat Chrome at its own game or Microsoft is finished within 5 years.    

If Google did combine more of Android with Chrome and have a self sufficient full operating system that had that million item App store's worth of cheap software to feed off of ....  that's some real serious competition.

Google could do that -- Chrome and Android share a lot of the same code base.   Android Ice Cream Sandwich will be the Android 4.0 that is the SAME STUFF on cell phones, tablets (and bootlegged laptops).   Chrome will still be separate at that time, but for how long?

If you say "Computing device" and count all smart phones, tablets and everything else that computes -- Windows is about 60% of that combined market (and is shrinking year on year).   What is dead nuts scary for Microsoft is desktops are dead (so says HP) netbooks are shrinking (see tablets) and android smart phones are the clear single largest growth market.   Laptops are still doing OK, but tablet sales and super phones are hurting that as well.

Hit the ball out of the park with Windows 8 and you survive another 5 years in fairly good shape.

Shank it, and you get no second chance.

Here is the future, it has a fast dual core "state of the art low current draw" AMD chipset in it that can run anybody's OS and the machine ships without an OS loaded (no Microsoft Tax).

And get scared again Microsoft -- this Zotach all in one thingie is intended as a TV/internet/Netflix combination tool.   Surf the internet on your main screen TV while soaking up your shows over the internet (quietly in the background no less) to view whenever you want to see them.   Or stream them and watch them as they come in as a live stream if your ISP is fast enough to do that.

http://liliputing.com/2011/09/zotac-launches-zbox-nano-ad10-nettopo-with-an-a...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/05/11 at 12:54:52

Whut the heck wuz that?   It wuz a 4 main processor core chip with 12 parallel graphics cores on the same die operating all in parallel doing something that only mainframe supported graphics workstations can do right now.  

And it was doing it in a TABLET or CELL PHONE format no less.

Nvida's Tegra superchip, currently called Kal-EL
(yup, that's Kryptonian for Superman)

This chip is going to power a new generation of laptops starting next fall, running Windows 8 if Microsoft is smart enough to wipe their own butts.

Or played at their (Microsoft's)  funeral on lots of Android and Linux and Mac operating systems.

BTW, where is Intel lately?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 09/06/11 at 14:23:52

Gah, too much tech speak... brain melting... Undecided

Seriously though, I'm continually amazed at the decreasing physical size of electronic gadgets these days. Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 09/06/11 at 17:41:30

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/04/11 at 12:58:27:

XP class hardware is fine for Linux.    Linux runs like a scalded ape on old XP class hardware, faster than XP has in a long time as a matter of fact.  

(XP used to be fast, reload yours and don't patch it for a few days and just check it out for yourself)

XP class hardware can run Android, but nobody is really putting any effort into that as XP still works and is still going to be supported up through April 8th, 2014.

Microsoft has a real issue with their continuing existence if they don't pluck their heads out of their arses over the new Windows 8.   They seem to be trying to make it all restrictive again, and that won't work this time.

Watch out for Chrome OS -- it is beginning to be able to handle various softwares apart from the internet connection.   Windows 8 needs to beat Chrome at its own game or Microsoft is finished within 5 years.    

“XP class”  haha.  It's telling, that we often evaluate computers not by their gaming/graphics power, not by raw GHz or Megaflops of processing power, not by the latest shootout of ultimate badassery on Tom's Hardware.. nah.. the real benchmark is the ability to handle MS bloatware.   Grin

Anyway, I'll LMAO the day Google's free OS becomes more mainstream than the latest windows. The way MS tries to shoehorn itself into every conceivable market will give us fantastic schadenfreude when they lose their OS dominance. But those creeping tentacles really help them in the long run.  Notice how they took over all the “office suite” stuff and made it exclusive to their OS.. took over Lotus 1-2-3 and got everyone on Excel.  Took over WordPerfect to get everyone on Word.  Took over DBaseIII to get everyone on Access.  All done through clever bundling and people just wanting their stuff fully compatible.  So now we can't ditch windows without ditching everything we run at work.. though OpenOffice has made a valiant effort.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/07/11 at 03:54:38

Nvida's Tegra superchip, currently called Kal-EL
(yup, that's Kryptonian for Superman)

I know, well,, knew,  a guy who named his son that.. his middle name is Kal-El,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 09/07/11 at 06:36:00

I still have, somewhere, my original DELL XPS equipped with a Pentium 133, 48MB RAM (16+32) and a whopping 1.6 GB HDD...

Makes my eyes water to look a a "whopping" 1.6 GB HDD, and at the 16GB miniSD card in my Nokia...

BUT

The day they make an OS which will run on any Core2 Duo with 1 TB RAM...
AND
on an old Pentium (not even MMX...) with 48 MB RAM...

THEY WILL HAVE FOUND THE GOOSE WHICH LAYS THE GOLDEN EGGS !!!

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:15:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Re: ramblin' IT

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.