Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How hot is too hot?? (Read 201 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Re: How hot is too hot??
Reply #15 - 08/30/11 at 06:43:50

Built2Last wrote on 08/30/11 at 03:44:54:
Too hot to handle, too cold to hold, they called the Ghostbusters now they're in control.... sorry I just woke up and remembered the Ghostbusters 2 theme song.. I'm worthless and make no sense... but I hope this helps.  Cheesy

Love it!  Grin

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/30/11 at 18:12:15

Air cooling is a simple thing but complicated to compute.  There are many variables and the velocity and temperature of the air is different at different locations around the engine.  If memory serves me correct, in an air cooled forced convection situation, the heat transfer is roughly proportional to the square root of the velocity.  So 16 mph is certainly much better than zero.  As the speed goes up so does the cooling but at a diminishing rate.  This increase roughly matches the engine's need, the faster the engine goes more heat is generated and more air flow is created to help cool it.  Same with a lawn mower engine with a fan, the faster the engine runs the faster the fan turns.  So in high gear you generally run cooler at a given speed than in a lower gear because you have more air for the RPMs.

At some point the ability of the material, aluminum or whatever, reaches its limit of conduction speed from the inside to the outside and additional air speed doesn't help, but I don't think the Savage goes that fast.

I know a lot of technical guys are in this forum so let me know if I am wrong about the square root thing.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 08/31/11 at 04:54:58

It's like they said on TV, on how to deal with the record summer heat. One mph air movement can decrease the feels like temperature by four degrees.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:17:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How hot is too hot??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.