Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cafe conversions? (Read 595 times)
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Cafe conversions?
08/22/11 at 23:04:29

So ive been looking into moding my bike and I think im going to get my LS650 to convert to a Cafe!
No kits, just self work. But I do have a question.

My bike has forward controls, would it cost much to get mid sets?

This has been on my mind all day at work looking at peoples S40 cafes'

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Cafe conversions?
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 07:59:39

Haven't seen anyone with Mid-controls, but Ryca does have their store up and running and you could switch all the way to Rearsets.

RYCA Rearsets

After adding all the parts necessary it looks like it might run as much as $464.00 or so for the controls and all the necessary mounts/linkage.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 08:31:14

If you can weld, you can make a bracket like that yourself, but the Tarozzi peg/lever sets cost about $250.  They are available from fastfromthepast.com, which has a good website and an eBay store.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/25/11 at 17:49:23

I have the same goal, cafe w/o kit.  I set a $2,500 total budget including the bike which looks like I will be able to meet.   I am getting some parts together and hopefully in the next week or two I will get going.  I will be posting progress and pics.  You are more than welcome to steal some ideas if you like what I come up with.  I will be fabricating my parts and will be able to provide measurements, etc. for you once I get through it if you need.  happy building!

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/25/11 at 21:02:57

Yeah that's super cool. If I were to build a cafe from our bike, I'd want to do it custom. The RYCAs are cool kits, but personally I find the price to be just too high. For 3K I can buy a whole lot of tools and parts! I'd rather own the gear in the end. But I can see why people do go for the kit. But I just don't have that kinda money to toss around and feel good about it.

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/25/11 at 21:54:27

I'm in the middle of a cafe conversion too. I'm using a lot of Ryca parts, but I'm leaving my stock rear fender, tank, seat and leaving the forward controls. It's not that bad of a riding position with the clip ons actually... The rearsets and brackets and hardware are just too expensive for me to justify doing it...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/25/11 at 22:02:18

I converted a cafe once,, turned it into a bar..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 08/26/11 at 07:24:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/25/11 at 22:02:18:
I converted a cafe once,, turned it into a bar..

That's my type of conversion

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 08/29/11 at 08:07:53

I guess I've ridden them all, 1970s Scramblers, 1980s cafe` racers, 1990s sportsters, and BMW autobahn burners...

This is my advice.

On a cafe` racer, the front fork must be as vertical as possible, and the triple tree must be tall enough to allow plenty of room for adjustment.

On a 1960s cafe` racer, the fuel tank was often contoured "backwards", with the streamlined end looking forwards, and the fatter end at the back; this allowed for ample room for your wrists when negotiating tight bends.

On a cafe` racer, the footpegs must be no further forward than your hip joint, and that is a must! More often than not, on a true cafe racer the footpegs would be up to 6" behind the rider's hip joint, depending on riding style and type of route/track to be raced.

On a cafe` racer, the rear mudguard/fender would be round and go all the way back (i.e., no ducktail fender as on the Savage) I'm sure you can source one, and make sure the taillight is small and round.

On a cafe` racer, the exhaust would be sweeping low and the silencer would reach back horizontally (1950s and 1960s) or point upwards but just a tab (1970s). Avoid that ugly tendency to design a wonderful cafe` racer, and then sopiling it all with a "scrambler" exhaust.

Now, another point: You have a Savage, which is a great little cruiser and a HD-Sportster lookalike that is better than the original in many ways.
Are you sure you wouldn't be better off starting from an original  street-going single?

Excellent pictures to copy from can be found Googling :
- "Ace Cafe London"
- "Ducati Cafe Racers"
- "Norton Manx"
- "Ducati desmo singles"
- "Royal Enfield Bullet"

This is an example of what you can find

Original Ducati 450 "S" Desmo single

Yamaha XT 550 converted to cafe` racer - see how raked the front end is

MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi, the Holy Grail of cafe racers (twins)

Honda 500cc single cafe` racer

Yamaha XT Enduro converted to cafe` racer

Yamaha SRX cafe` racer - same engine as the XT 600 but chassis etc. made for the road (looks like a twin but is actually a single)

The Real McCoy, the one and only, Royal Enfield Bullet Cafe` Racer  Cool

Mind you, if you could find a front fork with a credible drum brake, that would really cut it !!!

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/29/11 at 20:22:41

RE has disc brakes now. At least in the US and has for a good while i think.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/29/11 at 23:19:22

I'm surprised that the Ryca conversion doesn't include a rear disc brake setup. For the price, it totally should.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/13/11 at 17:10:46

HEY MAN! I'd love to see some of what you are doing.
I'm just about to dive into the same sort of thing myself with a bike-builder friend of mine. It's a collaborative effort: my ideas/his skills kind of deal.

I'm going to do rear-sets, but the RYCA bracket seems like a lot of work to mount pegs in a spot where you could easily weld something to the frame. It only makes sense to me as a kit because it requires no welding.

I haven't done ANY actual work yet; just been collecting ideas for a week or two. (got a running donor bike for $250...) But here's what I have mocked up so far:

I found a picture of this British Savage Cafe, and I photoshopped the seat a bit and pasted in the 1969 T350 tank I am going to use. I'm pretty excited about it so far. Definitely going to need 18" wheels front and rear, and I want to clear out / clean up the air box / battery area. This guy's rearset design looks a little clunky, but it could offer a lot of flexibility for you to mount pegs where you want them...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67484932@N07/6145069276/in/photostream

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #12 - 09/28/11 at 05:15:00

Here are some links to my posts of my very slow moving project.  I have not posted in quite a while but it is progressing.  I am hoping to make real headway this fall and winter and will post updates once I get going.

12/07 update
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1196943498/0

6/08 update
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1196943498/34#34

3/09 update
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237084786/7#7

10/09 update
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1257039622/0

WWW   IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/04/11 at 17:34:03

I'm in the middle of a cafe conversion. Using a lot of Ryca parts, handlebars, exhaust, bigger rear tire and shocks, tach and speedo. And some aftermarket lights, grips and such. But I'm leaving the stock seat, fender, and forward controls. I cant justify ~$500 for rearsets. Maybe last. After all the new parts, paint, tank dent fixed...

IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/05/11 at 08:24:20

If anyone has found a cafe-style tank (or a less-than-cruiser-style tank) that will fit the stock Savage frame without too much hacking, post pics!  The Ryca tank looks like it holds less than a gallon, and it's too wide at the front for my taste.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe conversions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.