Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Super Magnet (a little magnet war at the end) (Read 371 times)
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
Super Magnet (a little magnet war at the end)
08/22/11 at 19:48:13

After reading the info on the super magnet, I was impressed by the quality of the folks who contribute here. I am eager to know if there is a consensus on the magnet to buy and filter to use in conjunction with it.

Thanks in Advance!

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 05:33:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Super Magnet
Reply #1 - 08/22/11 at 21:51:26

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

contains the historical development of the magnet on the oil filter trick.  You will need to source an appropriately sized supermagnet from somewhere, but the Supermagnet Man isn't providing the specific SUPER BIG FAT STRONG magnets that were used in the Tech Post any more.   The alternate smaller magnet was the R1106 which is still available and should work on any steel can oil filter made for the Savage.

Good luck .... once you find a SUPER BIG FAT STRONG magnet that you want to use and figure out how you are going to support the weight of it you have got what you were after.  

Note:  the smaller R1106 is light enough that the spring can support it, so it needs no detailed support planning.

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 05:32:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/22/11 at 22:27:06

or a magnetic drain plug

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 05:48:42

Who sells the magnetic drain plug, what size is it?

IP Logged
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
Reply #4 - 08/23/11 at 06:18:56

Procycle.com sells both the oil filter magnet and the drain plug magnet.
My hope is to find a magnet that lasts beyond 5 oil changes. Where is the place to get it?

LarryC

Maximum Braking....Apply both brakes fully w/out locking either wheel-MSF

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 08/23/11 at 06:20:58

Also see http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1197231468 if you haven't already.  I am running the thinner magnet from Procycle, along with a magnetic drain plug.  The other donut magnets are from supermagnetman.net.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/24/11 at 06:12:47

Several of the big chain auto parts stores sell magnetic drain plugs any one know the correct size.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/24/11 at 08:22:06

Price your magnetic drain plugs, they were $17 when I bought mine many moons ago.

This is $8.75 plus shipping and is a whole lot more magnet.

http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=404

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/26/11 at 20:30:08

This sentiment was expressed in another thread as well:

Magnet schmagnet.

If you have enough metal chunks loose in your motor to get stuck to a magnet, you have an engine that is starting to come apart. Besides, a lot of the metal that could be loose is not ferrous,... it won't stick to a magnet.

Just use a good filter, and rip it apart at each oil change to see if any visible chunks are in there.  

I'll admit, though, there is some value to the magnetic plug,... it will help to forecast a disintegrating engine more accurately.

A plug with metal on it, and a filter with visible chunks,... oh my,... Better start saving for a new motor.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/27/11 at 00:35:28

Capturing any ferrous Fuzz keep it from circulating & eating things,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/27/11 at 02:18:37

Gyrobob,

Thou speakest what thy knowest not what of --- Savage motors when new make a lot of loose ferrous trash that is collected by magnetic drain plugs in the form of a oozy black paste with little discrete chunks inside it.

Our transmission dogs make slivers (yeah little tiny metal daggers) and little tiny edge chunks.

They do this for around the first 10.000 miles ....  then the flow declines to just a smattering of tiny particles at each yearly magnet change.

Thus speaks somebody that had a drain plug magnet in at 480 miles and searched out the main magnet trick because he was shocked at what he found on the little spud.   The oldtimers back then freely admitted their drain plug magnets always had mud on them and I knew the little drain plug trick wasn't catching all of it by a long shot.

And yeah, I too once thought most of the solids would be aluminum or something from the clutch pack -- but I learned differently by sorting out the stuff from the filter itself.  It is almost 100% ferrous.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 08/27/11 at 06:48:05

[quote author=1C3F3735363F3F3621530 link=1314067693/0#10 date=1314436717]Gyrobob,

Thou speakest what thy knowest not what of --- Savage motors when new make a lot of loose ferrous trash that is collected by magnetic drain plugs in the form of a oozy black paste with little discrete chunks inside it.

Our transmission dogs make slivers (yeah little tiny metal daggers) and little tiny edge chunks.

They do this for around the first 10.000 miles ....  then the flow declines to just a smattering of tiny particles at each yearly magnet change.

Thus speaks somebody that had a drain plug magnet in at 480 miles and searched out the main magnet trick because he was shocked at what he found on the little spud.   The oldtimers back then freely admitted their drain plug magnets always had mud on them and I knew the little drain plug trick wasn't catching all of it by a long shot.

And yeah, I too once thought most of the solids would be aluminum or something from the clutch pack -- but I learned differently by sorting out the stuff from the filter itself.  It is almost 100% ferrous.

Sorry.  I was speaking mostly of what is found true in aircraft.  The manufacturers, and a few million mechanics (and the knowledge obtained from few hundred thousand personally savored miles on our beloved vehicles) understand that the magnet schmagnets do have some value, but that value is only to provide some warning of a motor that is about to die and possibly cause some people to die.

Most of them will testify that as a way to prevent errant metal powder from getting into the oil system and getting pumped into important places, they are not effective at all.  The metal stuff that falls to the bottom of the crankcase has very little chance of being sent out to the rest of the engine, schmagnet or not.  If it happens to get close enough to the schmagnet, and if it is ferrous, it might stick to the magnet.  Whatever.

If we could do a properly documented study of 100 LS650 motors in real life run to failure equipped with a schmagnet, and compare those results to 100 LS650 motors run to failure equipped with a stock drain plug, I would be very surprised if there were any longevity differences between the schmagnet motors and the drain plug motors.  This assumes they were run to failure,..... I will admit, still, that in real life, if you were not checking the filters, and if you were checking the schmagnets, you might be able to save a few catastrophic failures by noticing a sudden increase in large metal chunks on the schmagnet.  Then again, if the chunks are that obvious you'd probably notice them when they fell out of the drain hole, not to mention what you'd see in a cut-apart filter.

I'll also admit that the schmagnets are cheap, and except in one circumstance, have no downside at all, so it probably is just being conservative, even if unnecessarily so, to buy and use a schmagnet.

The one circumstance to which I allude, is the several cases documented (in autos and bikes and mowers etc.) where the magnet fell off the schmagnet.  If you are one of the "i don't want loose metal powder in the bottom of my crankcase" cult, then your angst level might go up a little if you installed a schmagnet, not being able to sleep very well, tossing and turning over the possibility of a loose magnet wandering around inside the motor.

Go buy and install a schmagnet,... feel good about it,... life is great, eh?

The only real value to discussing this issue is the main reason this forum exists: a bunch of guys bandying about various positions on various issues.  As a matter of any real importance, schmagnets don't mean diddly.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/27/11 at 07:01:18

Yeah, that was going to be my question,....at 6K, how long before I can expect a catastropic engine failure. I mean,.......w/o a raptor first of all, then to be de-magged on top of it all, my chances of not getting stranded in the near future must be slim to none ! Shocked Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 08/27/11 at 07:31:00

Routy wrote on 08/27/11 at 07:01:18:
Yeah, that was going to be my question,....at 6K, how long before I can expect a catastropic engine failure. I mean,.......w/o a raptor first of all, then to be de-magged on top of it all, my chances of not getting stranded in the near future must be slim to none ! Shocked Grin  

Yeah,.. and if you're not using RotSyn, you may not even make it to 6k.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/27/11 at 08:37:26

If you have a magnet in your engine just don't get to close to a fire hydrant or you will get stuck to it and have to get a wrecker to get you loose. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super Magnet (a little magnet war at the end)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.