Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A few qustions about my 2007 Boulevard S40 (Read 174 times)
rik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A few qustions about my 2007 Boulevard S40
08/20/11 at 14:06:41

I have used the search engine and found some things, but a few I have not and voila!! here I am to ask...

I am 6'1'' and I realize that my S40 is a smaller frame bike, but with only 3k miles on it when I got it I couldn't pass it up.

I would like to mount a larger tank on it, has anyone taken on this project, as I cannot find anything to mount other then a stock tank...

Also looking for a larger rear tire to put on, to give it a lil fat tire look....

Lastly, here at 5500asl in the mountains she smells like she is running just a bit rich,,, If I took off the muffler in addition to being louder would it hurts the valves to run straight piped?

Any help would be appreciated, and any links to posts on these questions or getting more performance out of the 650 would be appreciated...

Oh, and my name is Rik and I am from Casper, Wyoming.  Nice to meet ya'll!!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A few qustions about my 2007 Boulevard S40
Reply #1 - 08/20/11 at 14:43:33

You can make anything happen if you try hard enough but you cant get much bigger on the stock wheel without getting creative. If you want much bigger than stock you'll have to get taller shocks and I think a fat rear wheel and taller shocks would look pretty lame but thats me. GS550 cast wheels are a direct swap. 16" in diameter instead of 15" but you cant get a fatter tire on it than you can stock. Tech section has a how to on a "much larger rear tire" but you'll have to fiddle with axle spacing and Im not sure if the wheel/rim was stock or not.
As far as the tank goes...yes you can do it...again it requires creativity and probably some welding. Maybe a different seat/mount as well.
Running a straight pipe with no baffle tends to burn up exhaust valves and it'll run like crap and be hard as hell to tune. Get some jets instead and do it right. If you want louder exhaust you can take a muffler off a Harley dyna and shim it to fit the stock header then clamp it down.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 20:54:37

I'm 6'0", pretty tall as well.  I'd like to think that I have more of a street fighter riding position on the S40  Roll Eyes  I definitely don't sit back with my feet in front of me like on other cruisers.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/21/11 at 21:09:16

I'm 6' also and I am mostly comfortable on my bike. I did move the handlebars back and down just a little bit. I would like to lift the seat some, and if I go with a bobber style seat, I'd try to move it back. I'm also looking into the intruder shocks. Although I'm a bit confused as to the year of shocks to get. Serowbot probably knows the answer to this question. If he doesn't see this post, I'll create a thread asking about it soon enough. ( However, longer shocks won't really change the distance to the controls, just gives a better ride. )

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/22/11 at 06:30:48

6'1" here. I did the seat mod, which raises the front of the seat--mine is up about 2". I used auto shock bushings with metal sleeves and longer bolts.
I also got some 3" risers for the handlebars. Wanted some with pullback, to flip around and move handlebars away some, but I'm getting used to where they are straight up.
I also got a set of Routy's forward controls. 6" makes all the difference in the world. Very comfy to ride.
Now, if only I had a nice heavy duty backrest.....

IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #5 - 08/22/11 at 12:38:14

I'm 500 feet higher in Cheyenne, and a Harley Dyna or Sportster take-off from eBay or the local Harley dealer will get rid of the sewing machine sound without alerting the police and irritating every neighbor when you start the bike.  Pop the cover off the air screw as shown in the Tech Section, turn the idle up higher, adjust the screw per Tech Section.  then turn the idle back down.  Some of the gas smell will go away, except on hot days or when you overfill the tank and the soon to be if not now leaky gas cap backflows.  It is running rich, as you might expect from a bike that was set up a little lean at sea level, but is still too rich for altitude.  The Dyna or Sportster muffler leans it, since either is less restrictive than the stock muffler, but then you have to follow the instructions in the Tech section to re-jet.  
A 140/90 rear tire fits if you don't start adding things like bags with bolt heads that stick out.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
rik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/07/11 at 03:23:57

HJH wrote on 08/22/11 at 12:38:14:
I'm 500 feet higher in Cheyenne, and a Harley Dyna or Sportster take-off from eBay or the local Harley dealer will get rid of the sewing machine sound without alerting the police and irritating every neighbor when you start the bike.  Pop the cover off the air screw as shown in the Tech Section, turn the idle up higher, adjust the screw per Tech Section.  then turn the idle back down.  Some of the gas smell will go away, except on hot days or when you overfill the tank and the soon to be if not now leaky gas cap backflows.  It is running rich, as you might expect from a bike that was set up a little lean at sea level, but is still too rich for altitude.  The Dyna or Sportster muffler leans it, since either is less restrictive than the stock muffler, but then you have to follow the instructions in the Tech section to re-jet.  
A 140/90 rear tire fits if you don't start adding things like bags with bolt heads that stick out.

I never made it on here to thank you for your post... I really appreciate it,,, if you ever ride up this way let me know!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A few qustions about my 2007 Boulevard S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.