Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muffler is now a flame thrower!!! (Read 498 times)
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Muffler is now a flame thrower!!!
07/24/11 at 20:25:57

Replaced the stock muffler this weekend with a Harley Dyna and, using Serowbot's Harley Muffler Guide, we had very few issues (Thanks Serowbot!).  I absolutely love the difference in sound (goodbye go-kart), however the change increased the amount of backfires during deceleration.  We tried adjusting the idle mixture screw and that seemed to help, but didn't eliminate the problem completely.  The hubby and I decided to take it out for a ride and I noticed that the low end torque wasn't quite the same.  We rode for about ten miles when we slowed down for a light.  Hubby was slightly behind me and started waving frantically.  Apparently when I slow down I'm shooting 1 1/2 foot flames out the muffler. Undecided  This might be pretty cool if I were a badass, but since I'm not I need to fix this.  Does anyone think the spacer mod might help?  Rejet?  Any other suggestions???

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Muffler is now a flame thrower!!!
Reply #1 - 07/24/11 at 20:40:16

Yes.  Rejet the main jet.  Adjust the idle screw.  Do the white spacer mod.  Do the transient enrichment mod.

Pretty impressive what kind of ripple effect you can have by just changing the back pressure, eh?

Here are some threads to peruse:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267767908  anti-backfire valve or transient enrichment valve

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267299409  carb tuning

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268545171  carb backfire and afterfire

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/24/11 at 20:43:14

have you lost your mind?  you wanna fix that?  that so cool!  lol

how's it jetted now?

decel kerpows are usually due to air leaks at the header or muff clamp, check with a candle while running.  don't get out of breath.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Reply #3 - 07/24/11 at 20:47:52

verslagen1 wrote on 07/24/11 at 20:43:14:
have you lost your mind?  you wanna fix that?  that so cool!  lol  LOL  My husband said the same thing!!!

how's it jetted now?  ummm, I'm assuming however it came stock...

decel kerpows are usually due to air leaks at the header or muff clamp, check with a candle while running.  don't get out of breath.   Grin
I had to read that twice before I got it. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/24/11 at 20:59:50

Senga wrote on 07/24/11 at 20:47:52:
 ummm, I'm assuming however it came stock...

Well if it's that lean, you gotta good shut off kerpow too?
then you'll definitely what to read the rejet threads listed above.

« Last Edit: 09/05/11 at 00:16:40 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Reply #5 - 09/04/11 at 19:31:21

Ok, so taking all of your advice we had the carb re-jetted.  Since I have no idea about these things I took it and had it professionally done.  A week, and $250 later, I got my baby back.  They said they couldn't get rid of all of the back firing, but that it was better than it was before and that I wouldn't be shooting flames.  I immediately noticed that I lost almost all of my torque and it felt like it was bogging down a lot.  While taking it on extended rides we were noticing that it was STILL shooting flames.  My husband also noticed that the muffler itself was glowing cherry red, not only while I'm riding, but after it's been shut off as well.  

Tonight we were coming home from about an hour away and decided to take the highway (I-75).  Mind you this was my first experience on the highway, so I was already nervous.  We had been riding for about an 20 minutes, cruising at about 70, when the bike backfired, bogged down, then the engine cut out completely.  I pulled off on the side of the highway, by myself btw since the hubby was slightly ahead of me and didn't notice that I was gone.  I sat there for about a minute, tried to start the bike, and luckily it did start.  I mentally told myself to put my big girl panties on and get going.  The hubby had pulled off about a mile up the road, so we decided to try and keep on going.  We made it the rest of the way home without any issues, aside from what has become normal backfiring, bogging down and flame throwing.

After getting home my husband took the bike out and really opened it up.  He got off the bike and took some video of the flames while idling, as well as a picture of the glowing muffler which was taken after the bike had been off for about 30 seconds, which I'll post up here shortly.

Does anyone have any recommendations at this point?  My thought is that it's still running too lean.  I'm convinced that they did not re-jet it properly, but not being a mechanic I really have no idea what I should do next.  Should I take it back and complain, or is this just the way it is?  Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  I'm about ready to put the stock muffler back on and suffer through the go-kart like sound. Undecided

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/04/11 at 22:43:18

Wow 250 bucks. Not cheap. The rejet is so easy too. Sad

I wonder what jets they put in. Also. there is a 'spacer' mod that can be done to help minimize backfiring.

As for shooting flames, I'm sure a lot of the experienced people here will chime in on this soon enough. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Did you feel like you got some power back after the rejet? I'd try to find out exactly what they did to your carb - which jets did they replace and which size jets did they put in?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/04/11 at 23:25:19

250 DOLLARS?

Thats terrible,, Il bet you coulda shipped your carb to one of the smart guys here & had it done for a LOT less,, & Il bet it would be running better,, IF youre unhappy,, take it back,, for 250 bucks, they otta stand behind it.. even if it burns their pants..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/05/11 at 06:23:29

Ok, at first you only noticed a little less low end torque, not bad, but was it for real ? From vast experience, I know that if you change the exhaust sound, it can change the mindset about performance.

Second, its a louder free'er flowing muffler ! Its going to backfire louder, and shoot more...bigger flames than the stock, (no exp here, common sense only)
Not that it can't be minimized somewhat, but now you have a situation where you have no idea what has been done to the carb,......scary at best.

If the bike was running great before, I would have changed the muffler, then re main jetted to a 150, and see what happened, and go from there.

BTW, if you were capable of changing that muffler w/o much problem, you were more than capable of changing a main jet, and maybe even doing a midrange spacer mod if needed. The tech crew here could have led you thru it.

But you had it professionally done ? It couldn't have been a Suzy dealer, so did they know the bike, the carb, the muffler mod ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 09/05/11 at 10:18:05

Senga ask the dealer what jets he but in it and maybe we could help you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #10 - 09/05/11 at 12:24:24

Sigh...this is why I've keep my bike stock all these years, it work's just fine.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Reply #11 - 09/05/11 at 13:43:29

@Routy- I find your comments less than helpful and more than a little bit condescending. Angry

I knew that changing the back pressure would change things somewhat.  I am not an idiot and can definitely tell you that I LOST torque, and that it did not get any better after the re-jet.  It's not in my head as you so kindly implied.  The reason I had the re-jet professionally done is because they HAVE to have more experience with doing it than I would.  I'm well aware that a bigger pipe is going to backfire louder.  It should NOT be throwing flames (1-1 1/2 foot) the way that it is, and the engine should not shut down at 70 mph. Maybe in your world that is ok, but "common sense" would tell you that something is wrong.  In addition I have to keep the choke on at all times or the engine will stop (this was not necessary prior to the re-jet).  I can deal with the backfiring, but the rest is unacceptable.

@bill67 and @mmomsel- I will ask what jets they used, and thank you for the offer to help. Wink

IP Logged
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
Reply #12 - 09/05/11 at 14:06:31

WOW!!!!! Sounds like the petcock has bit the dust, check out the Serowbot petcock exam in the tech section. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Where there's a wheel(or 2) there's a Way-Somebody Famous

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/05/11 at 17:52:27

My '87 has stock carb setup, HD torpedo muffler / baffle knocked out, mixture screw 2 turns out, OE air filter, OE petcock on Prime. When I shut it off after riding, I get a dull pop and a blue flame shoots out the tailpipe about 1 foot. Not sure if it does this when shifting or on decel. (Nobody ever followed me to see, and I don't look while riding.) I don't go faster than 55 since my engine got banged up, but I used to hit 85 easy. I would definately find out from your mechanic exactly what jets are in there vs. OE. Did he clean carb when rejetted or just the jets? Maybe carb has other problems not addressed. The muffler itself should definately NOT be getting that hot. Sounds kinda like a super lean condition. And as mentioned, a possible petcock issue, or both. Let us know what you find out. And good luck.

IP Logged
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Reply #14 - 09/05/11 at 18:39:00

Here's a picture of the muffler after the bike had been off for about 30 seconds....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler is now a flame thrower!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.