Send Topic Print
Discharged Battery (Read 93 times)
Hal Kent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Discharged Battery
08/19/11 at 00:53:42

HELP! My husband took care of my S40.  He died Jan 2011.  Now I have to do it.

I started it a couple of times this year but haven't ridden it.  I finally got time to ride and the battery is dead - no click, no lights, etc.

I have a car battery charger (6-volt/12-volt switch).  Can I use this?  I have tried removing battery but have problems with 2 screws.  How can I charge battery without removing the battery?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Discharged Battery
Reply #1 - 08/19/11 at 03:32:38

You really need to get battery out its probably low on water,Then charge on 2 amps over night.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 08/19/11 at 05:07:49

Hal Kent wrote on 08/19/11 at 00:53:42:

I started it a couple of times this year but haven't ridden it.  I finally got time to ride and the battery is dead - no click, no lights, etc.

I have a car battery charger (6-volt/12-volt switch).  Can I use this?  I have tried removing battery but have problems with 2 screws.  How can I charge battery without removing the battery?

Sorry to hear about your husband's passing.  But you should be able to get a lot of help from this forum.  I agree with Bill that you should take the battery out, add distilled water to the cells, then charge at 2 amps at least overnight.  To remove the battery, first remove the seat, then (1) unlock and remove the chrome toolbox cover, (2) find two Allen hex bolts at the bottom of the bracket which covers the battery, loosen and remove them, (3) then find the Phillips (actually JIS) screw at the top of the bracket, loosen and remove. (4) remove the left side cover, which has only one screw at its top.  (5) Using the long screwdriver from toolbox, go down through the frame to the negative battery terminal and remove the screw and terminal from the battery, (6) then go to the positive side and remove it. (7) If applicable, remove the clear drain tube from the battery. (8) You can now slide the battery out the right hand side.

Hope this helps!    :)

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/19/11 at 07:17:39

After you get the battery out, it needs to be filled using an eye dropper, or a disposable dentist syringe, being carefull to keep the level in each of the 6 cells between the 2 lines. If the battery is dead, it is best to fill to the low line, then fully charge it, then top it off before installing. This will keep the battery from possibly overflowing when the eltrolyte expands during charging
To save another R&R, it would be best to charge it, top off the water, then let it set a day or 2, then have it load tested before reinstalling.
Caution,....always connect the negative terminal last

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/19/11 at 12:04:21

And good luck. Literature says that a lead acid battery gets worthless if it drops under 10V or something even ONCE. I'm a bit sceptical, but you might prepare yourself for getting a new one.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 08/20/11 at 08:59:35

Routy wrote on 08/19/11 at 07:17:39:
Caution,....always connect the negative terminal last

When using jumper cables, it is also important to make the last connection on the end of the cable not connected to the weak battery. Whether you are connecting or disconnecting the battery, the overall game plan is to break the first connection NOT on the battery, or make the last connection NOT on the battery.  

Stated another way, hook up the battery first, then hook up the other end of the cables to the positive terminal of the charging battery, then the negative cable.  Try to use a ground for the negative cables.

The overall concept is to not make sparks near either battery.

The battery might explode.  

Don't ask me how I know this.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 08/20/11 at 10:15:14

Hal Kent wrote on 08/19/11 at 00:53:42:

I am sorry to hear about your husband. If you give us an idea where you live (Without giving out your address) someone on here may be able to help you in person. I have always used a car charger on my mc batteries with no ill effects I can see. I now have a WM Schumacher trickle charger that can stay hooked up to your battery in the winter. It's about $25 now and this is a good time to install the pigtail (Hook up) while you are getting the battery out. How old is the battery? I didn't see the model of your S40. A charged battery is a plus when you want to ride and a REAL PLUS if you decide to sell. If you want to PM someone you trust on here and they can give you an idea of people who may be close enough to help. We also have ladies on here. The most active on our forum are Kimchris and babyhog. Others may want to speak up, but I have had email contact with them from time to time. I am in Northeast Mississippi and could make about an 80 mile trip to help. Again, sorry about your husband. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it does diminish the scars.  Barry  :)

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 23:20:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Discharged Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.