Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bump Starting a due to drained battery. (Read 212 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Bump Starting a due to drained battery.
Reply #15 - 08/20/11 at 18:48:15

Lots of talk here by folks who are wondering if their battery maintainers are working properly.

The problem, as I see it, is that there is no easy way for the common man to verify that these devices are, indeed, working correctly.

Minority Opinion Here: I don't use Battery Tender-type products. I've no doubt they work well when they are working correctly. The problem is that it is difficult to verify that they are working as designed.

My solution: I've installed a "charging platform" on the ceiling of my garage:

Line current runs into a cheap timer (like those used to turn lights on and off). The timer is hooked up to four different $20 one amp battery chargers (bought at Auto Zone).  There IS one smart charger up there (my wife got it free with her Beemer (1992 R100RT) years ago); that one is connected to my Savage (my "daily rider").  The lines from the battery chargers drape down and are connected to my five bikes. The timer comes on for 30 minutes each night.

Advantages: The batteries are getting zapped each night. Thirty minutes at one amp will definitely not overcharge any of the bikes' batteries. Probably(?) cheaper than four Battery Tenders. Most importantly, I can verify myself that the timer works and that each of the individual chargers are working correctly by just a few simple tests.

Works for me!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bump Starting a due to drained battery.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.