Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dropped Helmet from Helmet Lock... (Read 360 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Dropped Helmet from Helmet Lock...
08/09/11 at 01:56:03

So this evening I got a case of the butter fingers. I knew it before it happened. As I was adjusting the chin strap to lock it into the helmet lock, I dropped my full face bell helmet onto the pavement.

Now I know that dropping a helmet generally means replacement, but in this scenario I just have to ask. It was dropped onto an asphalt parking lot. Visual damage is only a few tiny minor scratches  where it landed on some tiny bits of gravel.

I just want to know if this drop means automatically replace it. I mean in THEORY without seeing visual damage, it seems like such a 1.5 foot drop shouldn't cause damage and warrant replacement. But then again I always take very very good care of my helmet and even letting others try it on makes me sweat.

Opinions will make decision one way or the other easier, even if they are overwhelmingly for replacing it.  

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Dropped Helmet from Helmet Lock...
Reply #1 - 08/09/11 at 05:40:17

From what I've read on the internet, some helmet manufacturers will inspect your helmet if you suspect damage. Certain cleaning solutions, chemicals or heat can degrade it's protective qualities. It should be replaced every 2-3 years reguardless. If you are very particular, as you stated, I would just go ahead and replace it, for peace of mind, if nothing else.
Personally, I don't wear a helmet anyways, but if I did, I would just ride as is. Doesn't sound like it was a horrible crash.

Gyrobob??

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 08/09/11 at 06:22:08

I fumbled mine out of my hands one day, from about waist high.  Landed on the face shield, scratched the shield a little, maybe a few other minor marks.  I didn't replace it.  Personally, I think its a way for them to sell more helmets, if its preached that any bump can cause damage.  Obviously we are talking about our heads here, and want them as safe as possible.  But maybe I'm a little riskier than others. 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #3 - 08/09/11 at 06:26:13

I have to agree with babyhog. I would think it would have to be a pretty crappy worthless helmet to be rendered useless after a light drop from a short height.  It's not like you crammed it into the ground as hard as you could.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/09/11 at 07:19:45

I wouldn't worry about a plastic helmet at all.
But a fiberglass or carbon fiber I would inspect closely.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/09/11 at 09:25:35

Legal liabilities aside,... if it's just scuffed and not cracked, the fall wasn't far enough to compress the inner styrofoam padding....  I'd just keep wearing it...

For me,..buying a new helmet, almost guarantees that I'll drop it and scuff it up...

If you go down,... even gently, and give it a bonk while your head is in it,... then,.. I give replacement a much  more serious consideration...

JMO... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 08/09/11 at 11:00:12

I've always heard you should replace it after a 3ft or high drop. The reason is not so much the out layer, but the foam inside. It's really only made to compress once. Instead of cradling your head (which would cause your head to bounce around and hurt your brain) it absorbs the impact when compressing. A couple light scratches and foot and a half drop I wouldn't bother replacing. But as mentioned earlier, be careful with the cleaner you use to clean up those scratches.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/09/11 at 15:13:47

You cant compress the foam by dropping the helmet,, thats done when the head crushes the foam when the helmet hits something.

IDK how fragile helmets are, but if I thot my helmet would be ruined from a 3 foot drop IDK what Id do... Blasted thing needs to be tougher than that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Reply #8 - 08/09/11 at 15:57:13

There is nothing inside the helmet to compress the styrofoam inside with the hard case. Inspect the outer layer and inner foam. If no physical damge beside the outside scratches, I would keep wearing it.

Mostly, follow your intuition and feeling. If you feel safer wearing a new helmet, then buy a new one. Do not let that bother you, especially when riding Smiley

Safe and enjoy riding!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 08/09/11 at 16:06:47

verslagen1 wrote on 08/09/11 at 07:19:45:
I wouldn't worry about a plastic helmet at all.
But a fiberglass or carbon fiber I would inspect closely.

+1 The protection that a helmet provides is from the foam in the helmet. Dropping it a short distance does not damage the foam. A scratch on the surface that does not penetrate the finish does not compromise the integrity of the helmet either. If the shell is cracked (sometimes hard to see), or the foam has been compressed the helmet is no good.
BTW the reason why helmets have a "life" is that the foam itself deteriorates, or hardens, after time, and does not compress properly when you need it to.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #10 - 08/09/11 at 16:49:16

There is actually some fraying on the chin strap which was to the point I was going to ship the helmet off to the manufacturer and see what their warranty would do for it. This makes a good motive to that and while it's there, I can have them inspect it for damage. Who knows, maybe they'll just send me back a new shiny helmet! I'm not sure if a chin strap is something that can be replaced.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 08/09/11 at 18:31:36

Chin strap replacement is easy, quick, and cheap.

Most of my helmets have survived being thrown, and I mean thrown, across parking lots, into pickup bumpers, or into tree trunks.

I have a 1/2 shell from the 60s that I still use when I have short hair (orange, matches the bike). Cork lined police helmet. A lot more comfortable than the styro lined modern stuff.

My early 80s 3/4 that goes with the Honda project is getting an ensolite liner. With a bandanna over the foam. Can't have a blue liner in a green/black/gold helmet... Wink

Drop damage is a scam. More sales means more kick backs for greedy Democrats.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #12 - 08/10/11 at 08:30:40

WD wrote on 08/09/11 at 18:31:36:
Drop damage is a scam. More sales means more kick backs for greedy Democrats.

I love it, and can't commit to disagreeing with that, lol.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #13 - 08/10/11 at 09:22:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/09/11 at 15:13:47:
You cant compress the foam by dropping the helmet,, thats done when the head crushes the foam when the helmet hits something.

IDK how fragile helmets are, but if I thot my helmet would be ruined from a 3 foot drop IDK what Id do... Blasted thing needs to be tougher than that..

How do you qualify that statement? The outer shell can easily flex and dent the foam from the outside, thus subtracting from it's compression area. Just because it didn't crack doesn't mean the plastic didn't dent in momentarily. I still don't think this guy needs a new helmet because this probably didn't happen in his case, but it can absolutely happen from a higher drop.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/10/11 at 09:58:16

CalisOsin wrote on 08/10/11 at 09:22:45:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/09/11 at 15:13:47:
You cant compress the foam by dropping the helmet

How do you qualify that statement? The outer shell can easily flex and dent the foam from the outside, thus subtracting from it's compression area.

Helmets are designed to protect the wearer from an impact.
Let's call this impact 20 g's for simplicity.
Average wearer maybe 200 lbs.
So 20 times 200 = 4000 lbs (slugs... but let's not go into that)
This is distributed over an approximate 6" x 6" area
4000 times 36 (let's say 40) = 160,000 psi
yeah, I think the foam gonna crush.

Now compare that with an empty helmet (ok, no snide remarks... yeah I mean you)
Average helmet maybe 3 lbs.
So 20 times 3 = 60 lbs
This is distributed over an approximate 6" x 6" area
60 times 36 (let's say 40) = 2400 psi
I think the impact resistane of styrofoam is something like 8,000 psi... depends on the foam.
2400 << 8000, not going to crush.

OK that's a perfect world.
reality, the helmet going to deflect and push on the foam.  The foam having nothing behind it will deflect too.  So it comes down to how much does the helmet deflect and how stiff is the foam.  If you're worried about this, think about how much pressure you apply to put the helmet it on and how much you crush the foam every time.   Shocked

forgetaboutit.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:33:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dropped Helmet from Helmet Lock...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.