Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Different kind of project - Wood, not MC related (Read 558 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Different kind of project - Wood, not MC related
08/08/11 at 10:05:43

I'm so proud, I had to share with my savage friends.  As some of you may know, my husband and I are building a little cabin in the woods.  Its a slow process, and I'm trying to be as economical as possible, but I'm so happy with our latest project.  Trying to get the kitchen done, and I haven't liked any of the countertops that Lowes or Home Depot had in stock and certainly ain't gonna have them do something custom, so we decided to make our own.  To back up a little, we built a loft above the kitchen/bathroom end and used some cedar beams that had been given to my husband.  We also used hardwood flooring in the kitchen that had been given to my husband.  I refinished some cabinets that he took out of an old house that his company was demolishing.  We did buy an apartment sized gas stove which we converted to propane.  Its the cutest little thing you ever did see, and bakes a fabulous pan of biscuits!  

Anyway, back to countertops.  We found some beautiful cedar boards at Lowes that I thought would look lovely.  So we cut the shape from plywood and attached the cedar boards.  I used a router to round the edges, and we then poured this bar-top epoxy resin glaze stuff ($68 a gallon!) over it.  Still have to cut the sink hole (which is gonna break my heart to cut into this thing, but I'll use the cut-out for something!) and have one more coat to add this evening to top it off.  But I think its gonna be awesome!  Pictures don't do it justice.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Different kind of project - Wood, not MC relat
Reply #1 - 08/08/11 at 10:20:34

Ooowiee!.... Nice!...

Now I want to pull up a stool, and have a beer, and wait for them biscuits......  
Shocked...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/08/11 at 10:41:41

+1 !    Helped a buddy do something similar for his daughters cabin.  Built a large dining room table top from old barn wood and used the same epoxy stuff.  Works great!  Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/08/11 at 11:07:52

looking good!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 08/08/11 at 11:20:35

That looks fantastic!  I think I will do something like that, instead of trying to refurb my kitchen counter (4" bathroom tile) which has no chance of ever looking that good.  

When you get the sink hole cut out, maybe the removed piece can serve as a mount for some big ol' antlers from a 10pt buck you or your husband may have bagged, the perfect cabin accessory.  Wink

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/08/11 at 13:14:27

I really like that!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 08/08/11 at 13:23:59

Looks good Piglet, you should be proud..Smiley kim

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #7 - 08/08/11 at 17:16:36

That looks great!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 08/08/11 at 18:52:10

very nice
wheres this cabin again???
where do you hide the key??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 08/08/11 at 19:00:26

when we lived in orlando we had access to a friends cabin in wiley/clayton georgia  " Crabapple Cottage " leave it better than you found it' no $$ accepted
has been in their family for generations
in the guest bok inside by the front door a winter time visitors entry stated how he had got rid of "that dead tree" out the back door..
THE crabapple tree..
he was never allowed back

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 08/08/11 at 19:16:32

Thanks everybody. We put another coat on it tonight but its hard to link pics from my phone so I'll add some tomorrow. There are a couple minor spots that might need touched up in a day or so, but I'm pleased.  We got the sink hole cut out with no problem.  Woohoo lol.

Boule - I love the idea of using the cutout to mount some antlers.  Thanks!  Just might do that.  My sister-in-law wants a cutting board out of it lol. Also considering a small table.  We'll see....

Thumperclone, that's a hilarious story.  And no keys required, its an expensive button combination lock (another work/salvaged freebie lol) so it will be easier to let friends borrow, if that ever happens lol. Then we can always change the combo if someone screws up like that!  What a weenie. Haha

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/08/11 at 22:17:57

Id never use that for a cutting board. Th finish would wind up in the food, little bit at a time.. BUy a cuting board & if theres a finish on it, scrape the finish off, get down to raw wood, then apply Food Grade Mineral Oil every week,. for a few weeks, then once a month, then after a few months, start skipping monthly applications. etc, etc..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 08/09/11 at 06:32:13

I like your handiwork, Babyhog!!  We all want an invitation for the next Suzuki Savage happening to be held at your new cabin!   Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/09/11 at 09:32:23

very nice work.
Wood grain is meant to be seen.

IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/09/11 at 13:15:53

Wow Baggyhog,  that's suped.  And thinking about them biscuits and the roads and hills around there in WV and you all take adoptions>?>

BTw I want to a motorcycle rally in Canaan Valley over a decade ago and each evening wheile we drank berers and kicked tires outside 4 or 5 skunks would bop on outta the woods and we'd pour em some beer into bottle caps and they drank up.  Never drank with skunks before but we sure didn' wanna make em mad.   Salute! on your projects there.  Keep posting em.
Randy in south hot GA

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:13:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Different kind of project - Wood, not MC related

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.