Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust) (Read 404 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Re: Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust)
Reply #15 - 08/07/11 at 18:11:10

That was a pain in the butt to do with my  6 year old harborfreight drill but I got it done!  8: 1/4" holes around the center hole.  It made a world of difference, thanks again Bob and others.  It's like I loosened my grip on her mouth and she can breathe freely through my fingers now.

Next Q should I mess with the fuel air mixture in the mean time until I can get some bigger jets in it?  Any reccomended screw setting?

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 08/07/11 at 21:16:40

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/07/11 at 18:11:10:
That was a pain in the butt to do with my  6 year old harborfreight drill but I got it done!  8: 1/4" holes around the center hole.  It made a world of difference, thanks again Bob and others.  It's like I loosened my grip on her mouth and she can breathe freely through my fingers now.

Next Q should I mess with the fuel air mixture in the mean time until I can get some bigger jets in it?  Any reccomended screw setting?

Congrats.

Try riding it around for a few days and see if it really does have the same power.  Also notice if it backfires and pops a lot, or not.  You have a 25% chance that you won't have to change a thing.  

If it acts lean, you might try the white spacer mod.

For the idle mixture screw, turn it all the way in until it stops.   Be gentle, you don't want to abuse the little seat inside.  Then open it up 1 1/2 turns (1.5) to start.  If that is not a happy setting, try moving it out in half-turn increments.  

Some folks recommend trying to get all this adjustment done with the bike idling.  This will get you close, but if you have the time and patience, you might try just setting it at an initial setting that idles okay, then drive it around for a day or two, fine tuning it every other ride or so by moving it out in half-turn increments.

There will be a midpoint where it will idle reliably and smoothly.  If you get more than a turn or so from that midpoint, it'll get more ragged and a little slower.

Good luck.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #17 - 08/08/11 at 12:13:14

Well I rode to work and back today and I would say there is definitely still some power loss, not a huge significant amount but I would say noticeable.  I could only get it to 80 going up this "hill" (slight grade) to work that I thik I have gone faster up.  

It also pops a bit more than before so I think I will head out this evening when it starts to cool down and try to adjust that mixture screw.

Funny story, My friend came out to see my exhaust at work and I
gave the throttle a nice thwack to make some noise and the pipe had apparently come loose and shot off, doh.  Grin  Grin  Grin  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Glad that happened there and not on the road.  Thank goodness I have a decent little tool set just for things like that.

Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #18 - 08/08/11 at 13:01:28

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/08/11 at 12:13:14:
It also pops a bit more than before so I think I will head out this evening when it starts to cool down and try to adjust that mixture screw.

Funny story, My friend came out to see my exhaust at work and I
gave the throttle a nice thwack to make some noise and the pipe had apparently come loose and shot off, doh.  Grin  Grin  Grin  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

I think it's safe to say you might have an exhaust leak  Shocked that will cause it to pop too

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #19 - 08/08/11 at 13:51:25

Yeah I need to perfect that connection especially after todays experience.  I am thinking about adding a second u-clamp.

My can was pretty well shredded and really not on there well when it all came apart today.  I got so hot in the garage yesterday I crammed it together to fast because I wanted to be done.

Also it is pushing on the brake line a bit.  I am going to stop in the local steel/welding business down town and see if they can bend it 7deg out so it will clear that.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #20 - 08/08/11 at 14:12:24

Ya you definately don't want it blowing right on the brake cable, not to mention the back wheel. On mine, I used a 8" or 9" extension pipe at back of header pipe, with the bend in it, and then the torpedo HD muffler. Mine ends up blowing out past the brake works.
As far as the washer thing, mine was tapped into the front of the muffler, up against the old baffle. Someone before me had knocked the center of baffle out. The washer just made the hole smaller, but there is still air flow around and through the baffle, as was originally intended. So, I'm not choking it off any, just redirecting it some. Not too loud, not too quiet.
As you can see in the pic, I still have a leak where extension pipe and muffler come together. I was thinking of getting it welded. I would do that before using tin cans and u-bolts.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 08/08/11 at 15:05:51

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/08/11 at 13:51:25:
Yeah I need to perfect that connection especially after todays experience.  I am thinking about adding a second u-clamp.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/283386_2305900609096_129669815...

My can was pretty well shredded and really not on there well when it all came apart today.  I got so hot in the garage yesterday I crammed it together to fast because I wanted to be done.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283386_2305899889078_129669815...

Also it is pushing on the brake line a bit.  I am going to stop in the local steel/welding business down town and see if they can bend it 7deg out so it will clear that.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283386_2305900129084_129669815...

I admire your adventuresome spirit, but that way of hooking up the pipe puts new meaning in the term ugly.  Those automotive u-clamps are not only obscene, they don’t clamp very well.

Here’s something you might try that might work okay, last a while, and appear to be a little more motorcyclish.

-- Start over.  
 -- Get a new pipe that has an ID the same as the OD of the existing exhaust.  If you can’t find a pipe that has the exact ID to match the existing OD, get a pipe the next size larger and go to a muffler shop to have them swage (reduce) the diameter such that it just barely fits over the existing Suzuki pipe.  While you are there, have him put a slight bend in the swaged end of the pipe (5 degrees?) so it’ll stick out a little and not burn up the brake linkage.
 -- Saw one lengthwise slit in one wall at the end that exactly fits over the Suzuki pipe.  The slit should be about 1” long.
 -- Get three washers that just fit inside the pipe.  
 -- Open up the hole in each washer to 1” diameter.
 -- Insert the washers in the pipes such that one is real close to the input end, one is about 6” further down the pipe, and one is 8” from that second washer
 -- You’ll have to find some way to hold the washers in place.  Maybe the welder at the muffler shop can help.  They’ll only need to be tacked in place at maybe six places for each washer.
 -- Get a couple of real motorcycle exhaust clamps.  Here are some examples (borrowed from EJID’s post in another thread):
         Thin but strong for the weight: http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!B95D(-wEGk~$(KGrHqYOKi!Ey77ySJBsBM7D6ct82w~~_12.JPG
         Heavier duty, maybe better for a thumper: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqN,!jkE3LlE-htKBOB!pt5(f!~~0_12.JPG
 -- Whichever type you choose, use two clamps right beside each other, clamping over the slit you cut earlier.  If you have fit everything well, and you have the clamps directly over the slit, the leakage will be minimal, and the joint will be tight.

How are you going to coat the surface of this thing?  You’ll have to do something fairly soon because it’ll rust a lot.

Good luck.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #22 - 08/09/11 at 09:10:07

Gyrobob wrote on 08/08/11 at 15:05:51:
How are you going to coat the surface of this thing?  You’ll have to do something fairly soon because it’ll rust a lot.

Good luck. [/size]

Aw man Bob, you keep making more work for me.  Its an exhaust pipe specifically not some random fence pipe, shouldn't it be "coated" already? If not please do tell me what you know I should use.

I am going shopping for the heavy duty  style clamp today. and trying to get that bend done.

WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #23 - 08/09/11 at 16:32:13

I took a few minutes today to stop and got the pipe bent at a muffler shop.  Going to try and stop at tractor supply company tomorrow and pick up some better clamps and reattatch it.  I could definitely feel the leaks at the pipe and the header.

« Last Edit: 08/09/11 at 18:01:52 by MrBrownTX »  

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 08/10/11 at 05:22:04

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/09/11 at 09:10:07:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/08/11 at 15:05:51:

Good luck. [/size]

Aw man Bob, you keep making more work for me.  Its an exhaust pipe specifically not some random fence pipe, shouldn't it be "coated" already? If not please do tell me what you know I should use.

I am going shopping for the heavy duty  style clamp today. and trying to get that bend done.

It may or may not be coated with something.  Sometimes the tubing intended for exhaust systems is "aluminized" which may mean just about anything, depending on the manufacturer's marketing department.

How much do you care about the final appearance?  (no implication here, I am really asking about your preference)

You already have a pretty good ratrod flavor going,.... a look that is in vogue lately.

You could get it all tidied up and have all the new stuff chromed to match the stock header.

You could have it all sandblasted and then painted with some high-heat paint.  
 -- The only rattle can high heat paint I have used that actually holds up for a while is Dupli-color high-heat black.  
 -- I have several cans of other high heat stuff I unsuccessfully tried on gyrocopter exhausts.  These exhausts will glow red for a few minutes during climbout,... very few cheap coatings will hold up under that kind of abuse.
 -- I'm sure there are some others out there.  I just don't know of any others.

You could use some exotic coating like ceramicote.  Looks spiffy, lasts a long time, actually traps a little heat inside the system, but costs plenty.

You could use a header sweater on the whole thing!!.  Wow.  You'd be somebody.  There are lots of fans of header sweaters here,... they'd be impressed with an exhaust that was wearing a hundred feet of some sort of wrap.

« Last Edit: 08/10/11 at 07:12:05 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #25 - 08/10/11 at 07:01:48

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/08/11 at 13:51:25:

A lot of junkyard mufflers, or HD takeoff mufflers in a shop, will have the clamp still on them.  With any luck you should be able to score one for free or less than 5 bucks (?)  The main cost being a ride into Dallas  Shocked

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #26 - 08/10/11 at 08:26:01

I definitely have a ratrod look in my mind.  Taking off all the chromey bits is my next project.  I am anti chrome.  I also love the idea of wrapping the whole thing in header sweater, that's probably what I will end up doing.

Smart thinking on the clamp Boule’tard. I will be driving past American Eagle HD in Corinth today, I should swing in there.

WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #27 - 09/10/11 at 18:54:34

Finally got a real motorcycle exhaust clamp today.  It only cost me $3 from Hunt County Choppers, they took it off an old set of pipes in their barn.  I definitely have a much better seal now with the slit cut and the correct clamp however I do still feel a tiny leak on one side, where the uclamp bent the pipe up.  I need to 1 get a new piece of pipe and 2 maybe have my friend weld it on there to get this perfect.

Today I also http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822 drilled out the cap on the idle mixture screw so I could adjust that.  I was sweating nervous the whole time but eventually after some very slow going careful drilling that cap popped right out stuck on the end of the drill bit.  It was no where near as bad as I thought it would be.

So as I play with the idle mixture screw I read http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1222119600/3 that I am looking for the idle to drop as I turn it out CCW.  That never happened out to heck about 4 turns where the screw stopped.  So I turned it back in to 3 turns out for now to not risk losing that thing. It never backfires at idle but backfires when I let off the throttle didn't seem to change at any setting (probably leak and jet related).

So I know it is the "idle" screw so I think I know the answer but I have to ask to make sure I understand whats happening.
Which brings me to my questions...
Is this adjustment only to effect backfiring at idle?  Will it have any effect on performance on the road?

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 09/11/11 at 08:41:33

No, when you're riding and let off the throttle, that basically brings the idle circuit into the game. From what you're saying with having to be 4 turns out on the mixture screw, it seems you need to go up a size on the pilot jet. And then adjust your mixture screw again.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #29 - 09/11/11 at 12:16:41

Ah that makes sense. Thank you.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:20:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.