Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust) (Read 404 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust)
08/06/11 at 16:10:23

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=2302423162162

That is a 18" piece of 1.75" tail pipe from autozone for $6.99.  

Sounds so amazing  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin in person but honestly WAY  Shocked too loud.  I didn't plan on riding it like that I don't think I ever would it is insanely loud just idling and lightly cracking the throttle I can't imagine racing through the gears.

I need to get my baffle ordered and installed, then carb tuned to work.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OOJ1TS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A...

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Re: Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust)
Reply #1 - 08/06/11 at 17:59:40

I went for a short ride around the block to test it out just straight, I was too curious.  It wasn't as obnoxious as I thought once I got it out of the garage (as one would expect).  It definitely popped everytime I let up on the throttle though.  But I loved it.  Don't worry my neighbors are acres away, I love in th emiddle of nowhere.

Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 08/06/11 at 18:02:13

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/06/11 at 16:10:23:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=2302423162162

That is a 18" piece of 1.75" tail pipe from autozone for $6.99.  

Sounds so amazing  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin in person but honestly WAY  Shocked too loud.  I didn't plan on riding it like that I don't think I ever would it is insanely loud just idling and lightly cracking the throttle I can't imagine racing through the gears.

I need to get my baffle ordered and installed, then carb tuned to work.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OOJ1TS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A...

The baffle will be a big improvement.  Don't mount it in the very end of the pipe,.... that makes it sound flatter.  If you want a deeper tone, mount it at least halfway up into the pipe.

The fiberglass that comes with that baffle will heat up and disintegrate within a few hundred miles.  You might try this instead of the fiberglass:   http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pads-3ct-2pk...    The stainless stuff will last a lot longer.  It won't muffle as much as the fresh fiberglass, but it will muffle a lot more than the disintegrated fiberglass.  In other words, it will help muffle the noise some, and will hold its tone a lot longer.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/06/11 at 18:09:49

The fiberglass takes out the higher sounds and will make the sound lower,I've used it and put new in at about 2000 miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/06/11 at 20:11:37

I used to stuff steel wool down the muffler--it would only last about a week. It's a HD muffler. Looks like a torpedo. The PO had the baffle knocked out. I found a washer that just fit perfectly down in there. I had to tap in with a hammer and long punch. It has about a penny size hole in it. Sounds great--lasts as long as the muffler.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #5 - 08/06/11 at 20:18:31

Would you stuff the steel wool just all up in the pipe from the open end?  Does it need an open airway down the middle like a baffle or can you just fill the pipe with it?

Also did you put that washer on the end closest to the header or the open end?( I was considering doing that I had read it suggested somewhere else on here.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 08/06/11 at 20:20:40

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/06/11 at 20:18:31:
Would you stuff the steel wool just all up in the pipe from the open end?  Does it need an open airway down the middle like a baffle or can you just fill the pipe with it?

Also did you put that washer on the end closest to the header or the open end?( I was considering doing that I had read it suggested somewhere else on here.

Plain old steel wool will rust away in short order.  that is why you have to use stainless steel.  Also, if you use kitchen scrubber stainless steel, you don't know what alloy you are getting.  Sometimes it will last forever, sometimes not.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #7 - 08/06/11 at 20:24:38

Gyrobob wrote on 08/06/11 at 20:20:40:

Plain old steel wool will rust away in short order.  that is why you have to use stainless steel.  Also, if you use kitchen scrubber stainless steel, you don't know what alloy you are getting.  Sometimes it will last forever, sometimes not.

Would you stuff the Scotch Brite Stainless Steel scrubbing pad just all up in the pipe from the open end?  Does it need an open airway down the middle like a baffle or can you just fill the pipe with it?

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/06/11 at 20:31:16

The washer went in the front of the muffler, bottoming out about 1/2 way down in, right where the center of baffle is mounted. I used to stuff the steel wool down in there on top of the washer, but it would melt down to a little ball and blow out the back eventually. It was too quiet with it in there anyways, so I went with just the washer.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 08/06/11 at 20:35:08

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/06/11 at 20:24:38:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/06/11 at 20:20:40:

Would you stuff the Scotch Brite Stainless Steel scrubbing pad just all up in the pipe from the open end?  Does it need an open airway down the middle like a baffle or can you just fill the pipe with it?

You'd use the stainless steel to replace the fiberglass.  It would go around the outside of the baffle before you stuffed the baffle into the pipe.  That drag pipe baffle you showed from Amazon is supposed to have the fiberglass wrapped around the outside of the baffle.  The idea is to make a cheapo partially effective glasspack muffler out of it, except you would not use the fiberglass as the packing, you'd use the stainless steel scrubber stuff.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #10 - 08/06/11 at 20:40:04

Gotcha on that bob, I was wondering if I HAD to do it that way, if not having the airway would be too restrictive.

Thanks for all the ideas and feed back guys.

WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #11 - 08/07/11 at 11:07:28

I ran to lowes this morning and bought a big 1.75" washer with a penny sized hole in the middle.  I hammered that down in the pipe pretty close to the header.  That made an enormous difference.  It seems pretty well muffled enough for me like this.  It runs pretty smooth now too.  

I forgot to stop for stainless steel scrubbing material but I don't think I am going to need it actually.  I need to go for a little ride and see how it sounds on the road but I would bet this is going to work for me.

WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #12 - 08/07/11 at 12:50:01

I went for a ride around the block and I definitely notice the lack of power that I read people warned about in other threads.  It's popping WAY less than the open pipe.  Almost normal levels of backfiring as the stocker was drilled out by the previous owner.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 08/07/11 at 13:16:34

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/07/11 at 12:50:01:
I went for a ride around the block and I definitely notice the lack of power that I read people warned about in other threads.  It's popping WAY less than the open pipe.  Almost normal levels of backfiring as the stocker was drilled out by the previous owner.

By blocking off the exhaust with the washer, you are cutting way way down on the max flow rate of the pipe.  It's like clamping your hand over the mouth of a screaming woman,.... she won't make nearly as much noise through her nose, but she can't breath very well either unless she is nearly at rest.

The straight pipe has a cross sectional area of 2.4 sq in.  If the washer you got has a 1/2" hole in it, the new cross sectional area is 0.2 sq in.  ALL the exhaust has to pass through that hole!  IOW, the new hole has less than one tenth the area of the exhaust pipe.  No wonder the thing has less power Shocked  

Here are some ideas:
 -- Drill a lot of 1/4" holes in the washer (about 12) and see what that does.
 -- Widen the hole in the washer to about 1.25"
 -- Get two more washers, widen the holes to about 1.25" and stick them in the pipe, spaced 6" and 8" apart
 -- Take out the washer, stick in the baffle about half way up the pipe
 -- Take out the washer, wrap the baffle in something that resists heat, and stick it about half way up the pipe
 -- Cut off some of the pipe, and weld on a shorty muffler

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #14 - 08/07/11 at 15:12:52

Ah ha, I was wondering if that was what was happening, thanks Bob.  I wioll try that I bought a few washers so I'll start with
" -- Drill a lot of 1/4" holes in the washer (about 12) and see what that does."

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:10:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ear Candy (Working on my exhaust)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.