Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New owner - pipes and decel popping (Read 494 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: New owner - pipes and decel popping
Reply #45 - 08/08/11 at 07:00:37

Routy wrote on 08/08/11 at 05:45:09:
I hate ignorance, but lets pretend that loud stuff does nothing for saving lives !
So why does the law require sirens, and train whistles and horns and etc etc. ?
Never mind, I hate ignorant answers.  Roll Eyes

At least we agree on that.  I hate ignorance too!!  What could be more ignorant than riding along making a huge, publicly annoying racket, deluding yourself into thinking you were in a protective cacophony, safe from those who would attack you?

The law doesn't require sirens and train whistles on my CS-1.  Even so, I have obtained a pretty small airhorn setup I plan to install instead of using the OE "meep, meep" buzzer.  It'll fit down low in front of the rear tire.  I found a clearance sale on some small two-horn sets.  ($9)  I'll be using just the little horn, and I am here to tell you when the compressor puts all its air into that one little horn it is loud.  I mean loud.

Consider two situations:
   1. You are in the left lane on a four lane 2-way street on a quiet bike with my $9 horn.  You are about to overtake a ditsy kid in a rap-music-18”-subwoofer-Civic in the right lane.  Without any warning, he starts to change lanes into you.
   2. You are in the left lane on a four lane 2-way street on a no-baffles bike with a meepmeep horn.  You are about to overtake a ditsy kid in the rap-music-18”-subwoofer-Civic in the right lane.  Without any warning, he starts to change lanes into you.

In both situations, the kid undoubtedly didn’t know the biker was there.

Which bike will be more able to persuade the dude to stay in his lane?

Would the racket-bike have been able to make the kid aware there was a bike there?  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #46 - 08/08/11 at 07:13:29

bill67 wrote on 08/08/11 at 06:05:30:
Routy you convinced me I'm getting a train whistle for my S40.

That's not too far from what I am doing,... heh heh..

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #47 - 08/08/11 at 07:45:50

The earth is NOT flat!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 08/08/11 at 08:30:21

neither, in both cases you're about to get your pants creased.

In both cases you need to pull up next to ditsy, rap on his winder, pull out his ear plug and say 'hi' with your air horn or by a back fire that only a straight pipe can do.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #49 - 08/08/11 at 12:00:09

"deluding yourself into thinking you were in a protective cacophony, safe from those who would attack you?"

Does anyone really think that way?  I think that assumption is the problem in this debate.  

I read an article about this topic the other day and it said that the awareness and reposnsiveness of the rider is your primary safety and the most important one.  Reflective vests, horns, flashing headlights, loud pipes and such are secondary safety measures.  They are nice and can be helpful but you must rely on Your primary safety measure yourself.

Can we all get behind that, shake hands, and be happy?

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #50 - 08/08/11 at 12:17:45

now we're all supposed to shake our behinds and be happy?...

...okay,... ...but it's not gonna' pretty...Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #51 - 08/08/11 at 15:25:42

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/08/11 at 12:00:09:
Can we all get behind that, shake hands, and be happy?

Sheeesh.  You make it sound like we are mad at each other  Why do we need to shake hands, and force ourselves to be happy?

Some folks get misplaced feelings in these debates,,,, thinking we are fighting with each other, hating each others' guts for conflicting opinions.  As my surfer nephew would say, "totally bogus, dude!"

When I enter into these discussions, I visualize all of us sitting around a campfire, bbq pit, swimming pool, party boat, whatever,... lounging around with a cooler full of interesting beverages, going back and forth slamming each other with differing thoughts on these "issues" without a care in the world aside from chatting about fun stuff.  

The everpresent problem with us all being separated by computers is that we can't see the twinkle in someone's eye when he tosses out some comment that could be misinterpreted as an insult, when all that was intended was at worst a smart-alecky (probably funny) remark.

Get a grip on the big picture here.  We are really fortunate folks.  We “meet” here to chat about a unique motorcycle.  We all have enough time and money to afford computers and motorcycles.  When one guy says loud pipes saves lives, and the other says that is a clueless concept,… them ain’t fightin’ words, that’s just us getting involved in some enjoyable issues.

Anyway, I don’t feel a need to make up and be happy.  I’m happy already.

Grin

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #52 - 08/08/11 at 16:45:14

Gyrobob wrote on 08/08/11 at 15:25:42:
When I enter into these discussions, I visualize all of us sitting around a campfire, bbq pit, swimming pool, party boat, whatever,... lounging around with a cooler full of interesting beverages, going back and forth slamming each other with differing thoughts on these "issues" without a care in the world aside from chatting about fun stuff.  

+1  Good analogy.  A lot of good entertainment, and information is forged in the (camp)fire of jovial challenges to our ideas.  What other kum-ba-ya  ya need?   Cheesy  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
wrench13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 08/09/11 at 12:22:43

If I may get in the middle of this monkey nuts fight,  and then maybe the thread can go back to the original question....

Loud pipes help people notice you, but will not prevent a-hole-itis from striking.  Me and my boys all ride with the idea that the next cager will be the one to get ya.  

However, since ya can;t look in all directions all the time, loud pipes at least warns the not brain dead that there is a motorcyle within close proximity.  Nuf said OK?

Now,  are these motors prone to exhaust leaks?  F-ing thumpers vibrate like a paint shaker some times.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #54 - 08/09/11 at 13:29:26

They shake so much you need a license plate frame or it will crack and fall off...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #55 - 08/09/11 at 15:26:46

Built2Last wrote on 08/09/11 at 13:29:26:
They shake so much you need a license plate frame or it will crack and fall off...

They shake so much your nuts will crack and fall off...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:40:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner - pipes and decel popping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.