Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New owner - pipes and decel popping (Read 494 times)
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: New owner - pipes and decel popping
Reply #15 - 08/07/11 at 08:05:09

I heard a few weeks back that the Government was looking at legislating something that manufacturers would have to put on these new electric bikes to 'MAKE NOISE', so cagers could hear them coming.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 08/07/11 at 08:07:35

bill67 wrote on 08/07/11 at 07:59:00:
Put loud pipes on your car you will be much saver.

In reverse anyway Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 08/07/11 at 08:11:40

Mr. Hyde wrote on 08/07/11 at 08:05:09:
I heard a few weeks back that the Government was looking at legislating something that manufacturers would have to put on these new electric bikes to 'MAKE NOISE', so cagers could hear them coming.

A nobrainer,....even us kids knew that 60 yrs ago,......when we always run around w/ feed sack tags flappin on the spokes ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/07/11 at 08:51:24

Gyrobob wrote on 08/07/11 at 06:59:51:
arteacher wrote on 08/07/11 at 06:43:59:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/06/11 at 23:36:32:
+1 on what burny says and my experience replicates his to a tee.

+2.

you can lead a horse to water,.....

Do some real research on the issue and you'll learn the fallacy.

Is your "real research" on "real paper" or is it more like "real rides, on real streets"?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 08/07/11 at 09:44:04

People crash into fire engines and ambulances all the time,...  big, brightly painted, with flashing lights, and sirens...

Against an insulated car, with a 1,000 watts of stereo, and a text messaging maniac at the wheel with a sandwich and a soda...

You aren't there...
Loud pipes will alert everyone else, that you are there, but not the guy that hit's you...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 08/07/11 at 11:38:01

BurnPgh wrote on 08/07/11 at 08:51:24:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/07/11 at 06:59:51:
arteacher wrote on 08/07/11 at 06:43:59:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/06/11 at 23:36:32:
+1 on what burny says and my experience replicates his to a tee.

+2.

you can lead a horse to water,.....

Do some real research on the issue and you'll learn the fallacy.

Is your "real research" on "real paper" or is it more like "real rides, on real streets"?

Nobody does research on paper anymore.  

While I do have something like a quarter of a million miles on motorcycles (real rides on real streets), nothing gets you to the facts like some actual research as opposed to anecdotal info about some guy’s opinion on loud pipes.  I have lots of individual “learning” situations on motorcycles, but they are nowhere near an adequate sample size from which to draw firm conclusions.

The beauty of the internet is that you can get real info from real research,.. and it is fairly easy to sort out the bogus “info” from anecdotal sources.  
 -- For an example of bogus info, there are folks in various auto forums that will swear up and down it’s safer to not buckle your seatbelt because they had a cousin that burned up in a car that had a seatbelt he couldn’t unbuckle.  I know a fellow that nearly had his head taken off by a helmet that got hooked on to a sprinkler system as he was sliding along the ground after being dethroned by a truck.  To this day he will never strap on a helmet, … he’ll wear one while driving his $25000 Gold Wing, but he won’t strap it on.
 -- On the other hand you can look at very well conducted studies like the Hurt report, AMA studies and insurance company research done by real bikers that, oh by the way, also are real “studiers,” meaning folks who really do know how to conduct research.
 -- Whose word means more?,… some guy’s cousin with one or two scary situations drawing some off-the-wall conclusions, or someone who also has lots of real world experience PLUS he also knows how to accurately study something?

Those studies, by the way, conclude that loud pipes do not, in fact, save lives.  

« Last Edit: 08/07/11 at 21:44:05 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 08/07/11 at 11:41:27

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/11 at 09:44:04:
People crash into fire engines and ambulances all the time,...  big, brightly painted, with flashing lights, and sirens...

Against an insulated car, with a 1,000 watts of stereo, and a text messaging maniac at the wheel with a sandwich and a soda...

You aren't there...
Loud pipes will alert everyone else, that you are there, but not the guy that hit's you...
Huh...

Very well put.  Add to that the idea that most of the sound from "loud pipes" goes backwards while most of the crashes involve (are caused by) folks out in front of you.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #22 - 08/07/11 at 11:48:19

I didn't want to get involved in this, but I just have to say that I've almost changed lanes ON TOP OF about a billion scooter riders because my music was louder than their scooter..

I don't care what the studies say, a louder pipe can and will save your life and it's not some "weird conclusion" by someone's cousin.

Just like wearing a bright green vest makes you more visible... just common sense.. now break out your studies on how many people are color blind  Cheesy

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 08/07/11 at 12:00:58

Built2Last wrote on 08/07/11 at 11:48:19:
I didn't want to get involved in this, but I just have to say that I've almost changed lanes ON TOP OF about a billion scooter riders because my music was louder than their scooter..

I don't care what the studies say, a louder pipe can and will save your life and it's not some "weird conclusion" by someone's cousin.

Just like wearing a bright green vest makes you more visible... just common sense.. now break out your studies on how many people are color blind  Cheesy

"Don't bother me with the facts, eh?"

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #24 - 08/07/11 at 12:05:38

Gyrobob wrote on 08/07/11 at 12:00:58:
Built2Last wrote on 08/07/11 at 11:48:19:

"Don't bother me with the facts, eh?"

The fact is simple: The louder something is, the more people will hear it.

If someone is shooting at you with a gun that has a silencer on it, is that safer than them shooting at you with without a silencer?

You can write up as many spreadsheets as you want to about gravity not existing, but I can still throw a ball up in the air and we can both watch it fall to the ground  Cheesy

But really, that's all I have to add... If you want to run a quiet muffler that's really your decision.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 08/07/11 at 12:28:51

... and my point is... the people that will hear you, are the people that are listening,...  ...and those that will see you, are the ones that are looking...

If you are nearly hitting scooters,... turn off your radio...  
What about bicyclists, and pedestrians,... deer, dogs ?...

99% of accidents are not caused by the victim's audio/visual camouflage...  they are caused by the at fault drivers inattention or distraction...

The best a loud pipe will do is startle them, and make them swerve or slam on the brakes...  
...that's helpful... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #26 - 08/07/11 at 12:38:27

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/11 at 12:28:51:
... and my point is... the people that will hear you, are the people that are listening,...  ...and those that will see you, are the ones that are looking...

If you are nearly hitting scooters,... turn off your radio...  
What about bicyclists, and pedestrians,... deer, dogs ?...

99% of accidents are not caused by the victim's audio/visual camouflage...  they are caused by the at fault drivers inattention or distraction...

The best a loud pipe will do is startle them, and make them swerve or slam on the brakes...  
...that's helpful... Huh...

So now I'm not aloud to listen to the radio (factory speakers) in my car? What's next, gonna take my horn so I can't beep at someone stopped at a green light cause they won't hear me?

Pedestrians aren't usually walking in my blind spot on the road, and I have had deer that I didn't hear or see leap on to the hood of my car.. if I would have heard that deer running I could have prepared..

I have seen many bicyclists get hit riding on the road.. but then again they usually aren't driving as fast as cars and motorcycles so they aren't usually in the lane next to you or in your blind spot, they are on the SIDE of the road.

I get your point though Serowbot, distracted people are the problem but LOUDNESS will un-distract them Cheesy

I have yet to almost change lanes on top of an ambulance or Harley Davidson..

Okay, I'm done with this "the earth is flat" topic  Cheesy

I really hate stuff burned to my muffler...

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #27 - 08/07/11 at 12:39:43

Poor thread fell vicitm to a pointless war that no one will ever win or change anyones mind about.

Wrench I hope you got the answers you were looking for.  If not there are a lot of threads about what you asked.  There is a lot of great info on this site.  Hit the search tab at the top and dont forget to change the search date range.  I also find that anytime I put a question into google about this bike it returns several threads from this site to me that is almost a faster way to search.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 08/07/11 at 13:25:12

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/07/11 at 12:39:43:
Poor thread fell vicitm to a pointless war that no one will ever win or change anyones mind about.

Wrench I hope you got the answers you were looking for.  If not there are a lot of threads about what you asked.  There is a lot of great info on this site.  Hit the search tab at the top and dont forget to change the search date range.  I also find that anytime I put a question into google about this bike it returns several threads from this site to me that is almost a faster way to search.

Quite correct.  Baseless, strongly held opinions will overrule facts every time.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #29 - 08/07/11 at 13:37:05

I bet a megaphone will get more attention than that piece of paper with the "facts" written down on it Cheesy

Why do I keep getting suckered into this thread.. lol

If you want to ride a moped with a quiet muffler at night with no lights on it and not wearing a helmet because the "facts" say it's okay too, help yourself... free point for that drunk guy texting in his F150 Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:34:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner - pipes and decel popping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.