Humm, Fuel line? (Read 162 times)
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Humm, Fuel line?
08/03/11 at 08:11:08

Its me again.  OK, I got my bikes other issues resolved and now have a new one.  *sigh*  In the morning, when its cooler outside, my Suzi Q runs just fine.  In the afternoon, when its hotter than (well, its just really hot) when its at idle it keeps dying on me.  Its very frustrating for me to try to keep a bit of throttle on while Im using the brakes at the same time.  But if I dont, kaupt.  Its fires back up, but it runs like crap.  I dont notice it out on the road, just in town when I have to pull the clutch in to slow down.  I got to looking around and there is some kind of fluid/crap on the chrome where that tool box hidey thingeymabobber is (am I getting too techinical?) so after the bike cools down Im gonna go over it better.  Kinda makes me think there's a crack in the fuel line.  But if its cracked, why would it run ok when the outside temp is lower?   Huh

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Humm, Fuel line?
Reply #1 - 08/03/11 at 08:21:14

I have to play with my throttle position stop screw while riding. I usually have to up the rpm's when cold, but as bike warms up I have to back it off to  keep the rpm's from going too high. Then after riding a while, rpm's tend to drop so I adjust it back up. I try to keep it around 800-1000 rpm when idling. No tach so I'm guessing, of course. You can usually tell when it's idling too fast or too slow.
You may also be running a little lean. OK at idle because carb gets more gas normally during warmup. Especially if you have the "fuel enrichment valve" engaged. Not to mention the nationwide heat wave tends to affect how the engine runs. Maybe turn your mixture screw out 1/4 turn, see if that helps any.
As far as the fluid on the chrome? You should be able to smell if it's gas or oil. You may have a small oil leak going on and it's blowing back as you ride. If it's fuel, I would replace the lines right away. Real cheap and you don't want raw fuel misting onto your HOT motor. Also, you may want to check the vacuum lines to the petcock, if you still use OE one. A small vacuum leak will cause a low idle, same as running too lean.  
Now on the other hand, how many miles ya got , and when was carb last rebuilt and/or cleaned internally? Maybe that's all it needs.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 08/03/11 at 08:38:32

Has anything between the air box and exhaust been modified? If so, has the carb been properly re-jetted? Air temperature effects air density, which effects the fuel-air mixture ratio. If the jetting is borderline incorrect, the change in air density could push the mixture over the line.

Also, if your tank isn't venting properly, high heat can make the air inside expand, which sort of pressurizes the tank, which could mess up fuel delivery.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #3 - 08/03/11 at 10:35:34

Drums - I checked the vac line and it looks good.  I've had the bike about 2 years and never had to play around with the idle screw so Im not sure why now it would become an issue.  As for milage, thats a good question.  The motor doesnt have the same milage as the rest of the bike, but both are a bit on the high side.  I had my bike in the shop about a month ago (another issue) and they cleaned up the carb while it was there.  

In case Mick is reading this, I have tried Sea Foam.   Wink

Motobuddha - I dont belive the air box / exhaust has been changed.  This is a pretty recent problem that just cropped up.  As for tank venting, how would I know if thats the problem?

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #4 - 08/03/11 at 10:42:26

I went out and was taking a good look at it.  The "stuff" was still on that chrome, and it sure looks/feels like oil to me.  If it was fuel, it would have evaporated wouldnt it?  The only place I can see/feel oil is around the base of the clutch cable where it goes into the tranny.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/03/11 at 10:59:53

Try raising your idle speed a little...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/03/11 at 11:12:26

peek inside your airbox. If there is oil on the tool kit cover you may have a clogged head breather hose that's split and spitting it out there. As far as I know the breather hose is just to puke stuff into the airbox when excess pressure builds up in the cylinder. I'm not sure if having the breather plugged would cuase the sypmtoms you describe tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #7 - 08/03/11 at 11:55:15

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can get checked out.  Forgot to mention, if I pull the choke all the way out the bike dies.  arrgh.   Undecided

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/03/11 at 12:01:10

The motor should die if you pull the choke all way out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 08/03/11 at 12:01:26

Angie wrote on 08/03/11 at 11:55:15:
Forgot to mention, if I pull the choke all the way out the bike dies.  arrgh.   Undecided

If that's the case, then I think by pulling the choke you are making the fuel mix too rich. I believe that can be caused by an air restriction as well, so make sure you check your air filter too.  Undecided

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/03/11 at 12:05:52

I think you are running a little to rich turn in that screw clockwise a little to make it leaner.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Grand Strand

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/03/11 at 15:26:12

Is the oil level over filled? An oil change or top off that was a little over zealous may be pushing oil out. It’s worth checking!

IP Logged
benignant
YaBB Newbies

Lower Alabama
Reply #12 - 08/04/11 at 03:15:21

Bubba wrote on 08/03/11 at 11:12:26:
peek inside your airbox. If there is oil on the tool kit cover you may have a clogged head breather hose that's split and spitting it out there. As far as I know the breather hose is just to puke stuff into the airbox when excess pressure builds up in the cylinder. I'm not sure if having the breather plugged would cuase the sypmtoms you describe tho'

The head breather hose pukes a bit into the airbox during running. Then this runs down the airbox drain hose that exits out the bottom of the frame. You need to pull the plug on the bottom end of this airbox drain hose to drain the blowby - each oil change.  If you don't, the airbox fills with blowby and can leak from the air filter door.

2007 S40, Black, 1/2 spacer, TEV, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/04/11 at 05:47:49

To check the tank venting,
When you have the problem just open the gas cap a second or 2 then close it start the bike up if it runs ok the vent is plugged.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:40:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Humm, Fuel line?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.