Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
S40 info
07/30/11 at 23:14:48

My wife and I plan to move to the Big Island of Hawaii Sept. 5th. Assuming our house does well in the inspection-it's selling by the end of August. Last year we bought a place near Keaau. It's a totally furnished house, so we aren't taking much with us. Shipping motorcycles is highly expensive. Keaau is about 15 miles from Hilo, and Hilo has a Suzuki dealer. Kona is about 125 miles away and that's where the only Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer is.
   So, I'm thinking of selling my Sportser, and maybe buying a new S40 after we arrive. But I was quoted $5875 out the door for a new S40. Sounds high but motorcycles are more expensive there.
  After riding my 2006 Sportster (my first was a 1984 chain drive) I have really got to like the belt drive. No oiling and the oil mess that goes with it. and my belt hasn't needed an adjustment yet. My XL is a heavy pig though, and top heavy at that.
 I've owned quite a few dual sport thumpers, and even a Royal Enfield 500 Bullet, and enjoy riding them. My wife rides a scooter, so there won't be any two up riding. So going down in size on my bike would be fine with me.
   I guess the only negatives to the S40 is the relatively small gas tank, and the cam chain tensioner issues.

Are some of you getting very many miles without the problem?  Am I correct in thinking that, on these engines, the cam chain and guides etc are pretty easily replaced (as in no splitting the cases or having to pull the head etc)? If I got one, I was even thinking of buying a spare tensioner plunger and sending it off for the mod so I'd have one ready should I need it.

The Big Island has speed limits of 50-55 on the main highways, but does have some roads at pretty high elevations (6000 feet plus on some). But I would think it would be fine especially riding solo.

What could I espect for range before going on reserve if ridden pretty easily? I'm 5'9" and 178.

Or I could ship the Sportster over for $1400. I do own the bike, so no payments. But, againm the HD dealer in 125 miles away in Kona.

I also want to get a dual sport bike and am thinjking of a Suzuli DR200.

Jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: S40 info
Reply #1 - 07/31/11 at 04:50:08

You should be able to go 120 miles or so without reserve. The cam chain tensioner does not usually become an issue for10-20 thousand miles, depending on how hard you are on the bike.
You will like how much better the S40 handles compared to the Sportster, especially in the twisties.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #2 - 07/31/11 at 07:14:26

Thanks, arteacher. 120 to reserve isn't too bad. I generally take it pretty easy. My Sportster doesn't handle too bad because it's the XL883 with standard length suspension. Scraping isn't a big problem like it is on all the lowered XL models. But it is a heavy bike. I dropped it over once and the top of the bike was on a bit of a downhill slope. I was parked at the gym I go to. This 57 year old geezer was just able to lift it upright from that psoition-but it took a lot to get the bike back up. The Sportster gained a bunch of weight in 2004 when the redesigned the frame for the new rubber mounted engine. And they are top heavy.

Mine does get pretty good gas mileage. Sounds like about as good as the S40. Worst ever of 37.5 commutuing in under 20 degree weathe. Best fo 59.5 on a long warm weather ride on 50-55 mph back highways. Normal average from 47-49 or so.

I like the S40 better than the Savage just because I like the flatter bars and no backrest.

Jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/31/11 at 09:08:20

Birdmove wrote on 07/30/11 at 23:14:48:
   I guess the only negatives to the S40 is the relatively small gas tank, and the cam chain tensioner issues.

Are some of you getting very many miles without the problem?  Am I correct in thinking that, on these engines, the cam chain and guides etc are pretty easily replaced (as in no splitting the cases or having to pull the head etc)? If I got one, I was even thinking of buying a spare tensioner plunger and sending it off for the mod so I'd have one ready should I need it.

Look to the adventure world for interesting gas cans.

cam chain problem seems to be exacerbated by many short trips with full cool downs inbetween.  And yes, chain replacement only requires the removal of the head cover and clutch cover.  The rear guide is the one that gets all the wear and can be replaced the same time as the chain.  But the front guide requires removal of the head.

WWW   IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #4 - 07/31/11 at 09:43:07

Thanks. That's very good to know. Sounds pretty easy compared to twins, triples, and four cylinder engines. But a single should be easier to work on.

jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 07/31/11 at 14:09:59

Do you have a dealer near where you live now? See that new ones are still MSRP @$3999. Get one still in the crate and assemble it yourself once you get there. Easier to ship when in the crate. When we moved to WA from AK I got a crate from the dealer and re-crated my 96 so it would fit in the back of one of the ASTRO vans we shipped down in a container. Dealer is making too much mark up IMHO. Finding the used metal crate would be harder now as the price of scrap steel has gone up so much. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.