Jardine re-jetting (Read 118 times)
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Jardine re-jetting
07/29/11 at 04:16:59

I know this question has been answered a million times probably. I looked around the board and could't get a definite answer.

My Jardine is driving me nuts!! Constant backfiring, popping. The bike is only 3 months old and it sounds like a clunker. The dealer told me they don't make jets for the bike but I know some of you here have gotten it working. I'm not familiar with the white spacer mod and jetting. My dealer is good but my brother in law fixes race cars and bikes. I'm probably going to bring it to him so he can put the bike on a dyna after jetting.

I need to know the jets to get for the jardine muffler and if I have to do the white spacer mod. Or anything else.

Thanks so much everyone. If this continues though I'm going to slap on the stock muffler again.  :'(

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: Jardine re-jetting
Reply #1 - 07/29/11 at 06:07:08

contact LANCER via PM he will hook you up - I got his jet-set kit and changed my stock jets to 52 & 152, did not do the white spacer mod - i also pulled the air/fuel screw plug turned the air fuel mix 1.5 turns CC - most if not all of my backfires are gone - the off bang is now an off poof.
I have stock airbox and Jardine slash cut mufller - with header wrap.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/29/11 at 06:42:42

Are you sure you have a good seal at the muff to header pipe junction ? Just changing to a different muffler should not do everything that you're describing, nor do I believe that jetting is going to cure it.

I have no experience w/ changing mufflers, but I sure have read enough about exhaust leaks causing all kind of backfiring problems.
And I've also read enough about hacking carbs for no reason, and to the point of not having the foggiest idea how to then fix it.

Added,....
I did the white spacer mod,.....only after having a specific reason for doing so, which was a very lean condition in the low to midrange...light load throttle position. And to verify the problem, I found it to run much better w/ the choke out one notch.
Happy to say the spacer mod fixed this problem perfectly. I have 2 friends, same bike, same year, who did not need this mod.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 07/29/11 at 06:51:24

I agree with routy. Test for leaks using your hand or a candle to feel around the joints. fix those issues first.

then, once you get to jetting... i went to Niche Cycle (http://www.nichecycle.com/Items.aspx?code=MIKUNIJETS&key=cat)

reasonably priced, good selection.

as a side note, you only need to visit that dealer once more, to punch him square in the mouth, since, as you can see, they clearly make jets for this bike.

read serowbot's carb tuning post (you can find it through the table of contents in the tech section) and jet that way. someone else's jetting with a jardine won't necessarily be the same as yours, so tune it to your bike, not just your exhaust.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 07/29/11 at 07:52:57

Agree about checking for the exhaust leaks first, they can cause havoc!!!

Next, any bike shop should carry jets for our Mikuni carbs. Having the correct ones in stock might be another story. Should only cost about $3-$6 each.

Here's the assortment of jets I purchased when rejetting my carb. Stock was 145/52.5 - I ended up using 147.5/55 with a cone filter and 36" Fishtail (only minor baffling, almost straight thru).

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #5 - 07/29/11 at 14:21:34

AwEsOme guys! You all ROCK! I'll try this stuff out and let you know what works.

Smiley

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #6 - 07/31/11 at 18:44:51

I just installed a jardine muffler and K&N filter on mine this week,I used a dyno-jet kit in my carb.I installed the muffler first and took it out for a ride around the block,it popped and after fired like crazy.the next day I got the air filter and carb kit.The carb kit really helped get the engine in tune to the new muffler,what I liked about the kit was the adjustable clip points on the needle which let's you adjust it without having to sand the white spacer down.what I didn't like was the lack of pilot jets in the kit.the bike is running great now with the new set up,throttle response is great and the engine just seems to have come alive,went from this quiet sewing machine sounding "excuse me" bike to a loud obnoxious "get the hell outta my way" raging beast. Grin

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:33:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine re-jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.