Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jockey Shift - Foot Clutch (Read 177 times)
oldskool
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Jockey Shift - Foot Clutch
07/21/11 at 22:35:43

Hello:

Noob here.  

This little bike with decent torque seems a good candidate for running a jockey shift and foot clutch.    

Searched the archives for info on a Jockey Shift.  One fellow, Hutch, built one with a hand clutch still on the bars, relying on speed shifting (for lack of a better term) for shifting.  I get speed shifting, do it all the time on my little Nissan pickup.  But prefer to not on the little Savage trans.  

Was thinking about welding a boss on the frame under the ignition for the jockey shift and running a rod with hyme joints from the trans.  I'd like the shifter under my leg and not at the tank, so that would be the place.  Bell crank with a few holes to adjust throw...

Saw one post where a fellow thought he'd mount it off the passenger peg which would work if you're rigid.  Sprung I'd think it would shift itself over bumps.  Not good.  Rigging up the foot clutch looks pretty straight up with cable.  Not to worried about that.

So my question is anyone worked up a jockey shift and foot clutch?  Any pics you care to share?  What did you think of it, how'd it go?  Like it or sux?

Any comments welcome.  On most forums I subscribe I rarely get replies.  I suppose the questions are on stuff that is rarely done or unusual.  I guess that's what happens when you read the dog gone archives first!  I get jetting, versalvy's mod which I will order when I get my allowance, wheel of fortune, etc...  Nuthin new under the sun, eh...

Steve
Oregon

Steve
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Jockey Shift - Foot Clutch
Reply #1 - 07/22/11 at 07:09:41

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but, hey, it's cool none the less.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246491071/24#24

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/22/11 at 12:08:56

oldskool wrote on 07/21/11 at 22:35:43:
Hello:

Noob here.  

This little bike with decent torque seems a good candidate for running a jockey shift and foot clutch.    

Searched the archives for info on a Jockey Shift.  One fellow, Hutch, built one with a hand clutch still on the bars, relying on speed shifting (for lack of a better term) for shifting.  I get speed shifting, do it all the time on my little Nissan pickup.  But prefer to not on the little Savage trans.  

Was thinking about welding a boss on the frame under the ignition for the jockey shift and running a rod with hyme joints from the trans.  I'd like the shifter under my leg and not at the tank, so that would be the place.  Bell crank with a few holes to adjust throw...

Saw one post where a fellow thought he'd mount it off the passenger peg which would work if you're rigid.  Sprung I'd think it would shift itself over bumps.  Not good.  Rigging up the foot clutch looks pretty straight up with cable.  Not to worried about that.

So my question is anyone worked up a jockey shift and foot clutch?  Any pics you care to share?  What did you think of it, how'd it go?  Like it or sux?

Any comments welcome.  On most forums I subscribe I rarely get replies.  I suppose the questions are on stuff that is rarely done or unusual.  I guess that's what happens when you read the dog gone archives first!  I get jetting, versalvy's mod which I will order when I get my allowance, wheel of fortune, etc...  Nuthin new under the sun, eh...

Steve
Oregon

Ever ridden a Jockey shift/foot clutch? It's a WHOLE nother animal when taking off from a stop, especially those darn left hand turns.  Grin I rode my brothers a few times. It was cool but it really took some getting used to, especially since it wasn't my bike and I REALLY didn't want to drop it. He was REAL particular about who he'd let ride it.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/22/11 at 12:15:34

They look bad@$$, but I KNOW I'm not coordinated enough to use one.  Undecided

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
oldskool
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/22/11 at 18:32:04

Bubba:
Thanks for the link.  I like it, but want to keep the throw shorter than with the long lever.  Well see if I even get around to it. Smiley

onelunger:
Nope never have rode one.  Would like to give it a try though.  Seems the little 350lbs. ls650 would be a good place for trials. Better than a 750lbs. cruiser!  

Sunchasers:
I hear that!  Not as adept as I once was.  But what the hay.  I'll keep the parts to put it back to stock if it's too much.  

It's a winter project...

Steve
Oregon  

Steve
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:15:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jockey Shift - Foot Clutch