Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
12v power outlet location (Read 331 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
12v power outlet location
07/19/11 at 07:24:17

Where would you locate a 12v jack (plug?) like this:

Forget about the penny.    Roll Eyes

I want to use an electric vest in the winter.  They are heavenly.

Another advantage: it's easier to hook up a voltmeter for testing or a trickle charger, should the need arise. (if wired to the battery)

Would you wire it to a switched 12v source so it was depowered when the bike was shut off?  If so, where in the harness would you splice it in?

If you'd hook it up to an always-on 12v source, would you run separate wires to the battery, or would you splice it in the harness somewhere that was always on?

Would you want this thing installed loose on a cable, or on a panel?  I suppose it would be reasonable to drill another hole in the ignition switch panel on a RYCA CS-1, for example.

Thanks for any ideas,..

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: 12v power outlet location
Reply #1 - 07/19/11 at 07:45:46

I use a different plug,.....the same one that seems to be standard on all the late model battery maintainers,.....beside the point,......
I mounted mine on the right side 3-6 inches from the positive batt terminal, hot all the time so the battery charges, and I plug my GPS into the same plug when on the road.
The negative could be brought across, but I connected it to the frame near the positive batt terminal.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 07/19/11 at 08:30:06

Routy wrote on 07/19/11 at 07:45:46:
I use a different plug,.....the same one that seems to be standard on all the late model battery maintainers,.....beside the point,......
I mounted mine on the right side 3-6 inches from the positive batt terminal, hot all the time so the battery charges, and I plug my GPS into the same plug when on the road.
The negative could be brought across, but I connected it to the frame near the positive batt terminal.
http://p1.bikepics.com/2011/07/19/bikepics-2242657-800.jpg

Hmmm.  That's another consideration.  I am getting real used to using a GPS as I wander around.  Maybe I need two of these outlets.

I chose the jack/plug shown because it is what matches the Gerbing vest I use for December/January timeframes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/19/11 at 08:31:33

+1 routy

I only need a trickle charge connection
but have a cigarette lighter socket that has the same connector so I can add that in at some point.

last time I needed a jump, the tow truck did not have an adapter for this connector, so the cigarette lighter socket would have been an additional method of connection.

WWW   IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #4 - 07/19/11 at 09:02:47

As small as that is I'd probably run loose cable under the seat and let it poke out between the front of the seat and the tank. You could probably zip it off with a little slack and tuck it out of sight when not used.
Keeping it in front means you can reach it easily while sitting on the bike and wearing the jacket, right?
Seems like that would work for devices plugged into it held inside one of your pockets too.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 07/19/11 at 10:17:27

SoE wrote on 07/19/11 at 09:02:47:
As small as that is I'd probably run loose cable under the seat and let it poke out between the front of the seat and the tank. You could probably zip it off with a little slack and tuck it out of sight when not used.
Keeping it in front means you can reach it easily while sitting on the bike and wearing the jacket, right?
Seems like that would work for devices plugged into it held inside one of your pockets too.

I would have said a similar place, but at the other end. You could tuck loose cable between the two seats. That would also give it a little protection from the weather. You could tuck it down between them when not in use and fairly easily pull it out when you did want it. Minimal wiring because everything sits under the seat as is...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #6 - 07/19/11 at 10:38:00

I thought about that but I wondered how twisted up you might get doing the "reach around". Yeah, I just said that.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/19/11 at 10:53:24

have a cig lighter outlet on the frame cross member
fused to the battery
use to jump start cig male to cig male
also have home made adaptor for the aligator clips from the battery charger
made a wp insert out of a rubber cork with a bottle cap glued to it

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 07/19/11 at 11:50:51

I just remembered someone had a full sized cig lighter mounted on the tool box cover facing backwards. I bet you could do the same thing, just tuck all the guts in the toolbox and have that plug mounted flush on the cover.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #9 - 07/19/11 at 13:14:39

+1 Routy

Curious, is there any specific 12v outlet that people tend to recommend over the others, or does it really matter?

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 07/19/11 at 16:05:01

I thought we had a thread about the Savage system that concluded it wouldn't run heated clothes. Am I wrong?  Huh

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/19/11 at 16:31:30

Boofer wrote on 07/19/11 at 16:05:01:
I thought we had a thread about the Savage system that concluded it wouldn't run heated clothes. Am I wrong?  Huh

with stock lighting, you got about 60watts to play with.
after that, you're sucking the battery dry.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 07/19/11 at 16:45:04

verslagen1 wrote on 07/19/11 at 16:31:30:
Boofer wrote on 07/19/11 at 16:05:01:

with stock lighting, you got about 60watts to play with.
after that, you're sucking the battery dry.

One of the upgrades in the works is an LED-based lighting system, with an HID headlight.  This will cut the wattage required for lighting in half (approx) and make more light as well.   Hopefully, this will free up enough watts for the Gerbing jacket, which uses about 80 watts on high.

IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/19/11 at 17:59:22

Gerbing makes a cable with battery attachments on one end and a socket with a rubber cap on the other end.  I leave mine under the seat of my S40.  There is enough extra that I can pull it out and connect to a cable running from my gloves to the back of my jacket.  Heated gloves won't drain the battery and they let me comfortably ride down to 30 degrees or less.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 07/19/11 at 22:04:10

Just for info,.....the 12v plug I posted a pic above also comes in a flush mount receptical too. I mounted this one in my ATV a year or 2 ago. Only thing is, I don't know where to get them, except a place that sells and installs solar systems,....or so I was told.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:15:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 12v power outlet location

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.