what to do now (Read 182 times)
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
what to do now
07/26/11 at 10:56:13

ok, so the shop called and said that 3 of the head bolts were stripped out on my motor.  Can these be tapped for a bigger bolt?  Is it worth it to do it, or should i just look for a used motor, or head?  
A little backround on me, i am good at building jeeps for offroad, lifting cutting wheeling, the basics.  I have never opened up a motor and did any major work.  Any suggestions on what I should do.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: what to do now
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 11:01:57

I dont know the answer, others here mite, but if you dont get the answer you want here,, Id suggest calling a machine shop. See  what someone like that says. Or maybe YOU can install some,, OOHHHH Maan,, cant remember the name of it,, Threads ya screw down into stripped threads,, Helicoil! Yeaaaa,, It came to me..

http://www.noblefix.com/helicoil.htm

Run Helicoil thru the search engine you use..

I use Startpage. They dont snoop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 11:16:06

The head cover bolts are notorious for 'stripping out'
They look fine but don't engage with the head.

Try a new bolt 1st.
You can also try a longer bolt.  I would measure the depth of the hole to see if it is possible.
Next would be helicoil as JOG said.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 11:23:47

& head covers dont make it run,, Dont matter,, you can put them in a corner of the storage building,, & go ride..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #4 - 07/27/11 at 06:51:59

thanks.  im going to tear it apart this weekend and try new bolts.  if that dont work i will just have to take it to a machine shop and see if they can fix it or not.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #5 - 07/27/11 at 08:35:30

Helicoils and stronger bolts are the best answer.  With the helicoil, you can use the same size bolt, just have to drill the hole larger, tap it, and insert the helicoil to replace the original threads.  Look on eBay for "Stainless Steel Bolt Set Suzuki Savage S40," a full set of replacement bolts which are much better than the OEM.  They have Allen heads instead of the original hex heads.  I have at least two helicoils in the head of my Savage.  With the SS bolts, I have had no further breakage.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 07/27/11 at 09:48:53

I did it on a bargain savage I bought. Unless you can get a 6" tap you're gonna have to pull the whole head off. I pulled the whole head off and tapped the 2 I needed to tap then helicoiled. worked out fine.
Total cost parts and tools = $ 60
You should replace the head gasket...I did.
Ya gotta pull the engine.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 07/27/11 at 11:26:38

Not true in all cases, you can R&R the head w/o R&R the engine. take out the 3 top stay bolts, take out the upper rear case to frame through bolt, loosen the lower one and the engine will tip forward enough to lift the head off the studs. Been there, done that the shirt says. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #8 - 07/27/11 at 11:43:55

i appreciate the information from everyone.  Saturday morning i will start tearing this thing down.  I do have a new head gasket for it so i plan on doing that as well.  if anyone has any usefull tips, please, keep them coming.  

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 07/27/11 at 11:53:25

While you're in there you might as well check the head plug over the engine case stud...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #10 - 07/27/11 at 13:22:23

thanks.  i did do a little research and picked up one of those as well when i got the head gasket.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/27/11 at 20:26:04

Quote:
ok, so the shop called and said that 3 of the head bolts were stripped out on my motor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why was it in the shop,......for to fix it ??
If so, just tell them you don't want to hear all their problems,......to    just fix it !!
Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what to do now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.