Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A fool and his bike are soon grounded!!! (Read 156 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
A fool and his bike are soon grounded!!!
07/18/11 at 09:43:36

I'm so mad at myself! Despite all the warnings I managed to snap off a clutch cover bolt after checking on the cam tensioner. The very last one, after being so careful too! I was six bolts and an oil change from riding! Angry Angry Angry
Fair warning to all other newbie self wrenchers - when they say be easy on these little guys, they mean put on the kid gloves!
Now where did I put that dunce cap?

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: A fool and his bike are soon grounded!!!
Reply #1 - 07/18/11 at 10:19:33

I have snapped off clutch cover bolts and/or head cover/valve assembly bolts prettty much every time I've removed said covers.  UNTIL I got a set of those chromed Allen head bolts from eBay. Don't remember the seller's name, but if you search "chrome bolt set Savage" (or S40) you'll find 'em. A great bargain at $35 + shipping.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #2 - 07/18/11 at 10:24:49

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370510241365&ss...

seller: stainlesscycle

He's gone up just a few $ but it's still a smart purchase.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 07/18/11 at 10:30:53

Yep, that's the guy, er gal, er seller/sellerette.    Undecided  
And it looks like he has simply lumped in the shipping at $41+.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 10:40:04

Thanks Serenity, not a bad idea. I'll find out after work tonight if there's enough stem left to grab or if I'm gonna have to easy-out it but either way I know I'm going back into it when I get my verslavy anyway. Spare parts would be real handy too!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/18/11 at 10:51:58

I went to Sears Hardware and bought the same bolts. I've used 'em on a few bikes and have cranked them up pretty tight without any breaking off. As long as they're stronger and harder than the base that your screwing into, they should be OK. Regardless, if you tighten too much, there is bound to be other problems. I've been using them without any problems thus far.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/18/11 at 11:04:45

Guys,  the bolts in question only get torqued to 100 inch pounds.  They would do their job and be vibration proof at half that as all they do is compress a single "o" ring about 25% of its diameter.

Turn them until they seat up good, no more than a quarter to half turn past that.   Anything past that is stretching the bolt unnecessarily.

You guys are going WAY past that, literally stretching the silly bolts in half.

And lord yes, there are way better grades of bolts out there !!!   These are mebbe 1 hash mark bolts, you are used to dealing with 3 hash mark or better bolts as "normal hardware grade".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/18/11 at 13:27:48

A slow & careful job of handling the wrench allows one to feel the bolt turn while the resistance doesnt build up in a linear fashion,, its telling you, I'M About to twist off, or strip threads..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 07/18/11 at 13:47:24

I sheared off a bolt two weekend's ago too.  Luckily, it was still attached, so I managed to back out and remove the bolt.  

Justin's tip on feeling the resistance of the bolt is smart.  I felt that happening, but it never occurred to me that my bolt was stretching out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A fool and his bike are soon grounded!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.